What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In an attempt to match or outdo Hollywood and the UK, UFA produced an elaborate fantasy, as part of the Nazi film output in 1943. It was the third in the process.

Munchhausen, directed by Josef von Baky, was a gorgeously mounted color production - Agfa as opposed to Technicolor - which makes it all the more interesting to those who delve into the history of cinema color. A tri-pack product, it had similarities to Eastman Color.

At the end of the war, the stock ended up with the Russians, who used it to create Sovcolor. In later years, the Agfa process became ORWO.

Kino's new Blu is based upon the international version, as the domestic German negative apparently no longer survives. Mostly original, with some footage from a print - the color difference will be noted - quality is overall superb.

A Very interesting comparison can be found in Terry Gilliam's 1988 version, available from Sony. You'll note that the 1988 has only a single h in the great Baron's name.

One of the more entertaining films from the Nazis.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - You betcha!

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Bought the dvd when it came out in 2004 and have already pre-ordered the Blu-ray. I like this more than the Gilliam version.

Last edited:

john a hunter

Screenwriter
so where did Eastman Color spring from Robert?
Purely from Kodak?
I always thought it developed from part of the Agfa war reparations patents.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I watched the Kino DVD years ago and it's a wonderful film. Almost shocking to think it was made at such a time in Nazi Germany. Glad to hear the new restoration looks good.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Watched the disc last nite, looks pretty good. For sure interesting color dynamic.

the audio commentary from Samm Deighan is essential.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have the Blu-ray and did a quick comparison to my 2004 dvd. I see more picture on all 4 sides and the colors are more brighter plus a sharper image. Will watch the whole movie soon and this time with the commentary.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I checked it out and I think they went for the restored Verleihfassung. The German blu-ray release includes three versions: the international version (116 min), the domestic release version (Veleihfassung-117 min.) and the 131 minute Premiere version. This last is terrific and really involves one in the story. It was found in the Russian archives and probably was not used for the American release due to the quality, perhaps...? A shame, because it looks very good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks