What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lincoln -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln is many things.  One of the best films of 2012, the best Lincoln biography ever brought to film (and there have been quite a few).  To my eye, it has the best cinematography for 2012.  An extraordinary lead performance, along with great support.  A great score.  Beautiful editing.  An immersive sound track…

Thanks to Blu-ray, that imagery shines.  Mr. Kaminski’s work on this film, with it’s filtered sunlight, deep shadows, and tonalities of blues and browns, is a perfect rendition of what we saw in theaters.

Photographed on film (35/3) and taken through a 4k DI, this would be one of the first films I’d go after, when true home 4k projection arrives.  If you look at a list of new productions finished at 4k, that list will be far shorter than one might surmise.

Also, to me, Lincoln may be the shortest 150-minute film ever produced.  It’s a near perfect production that will resonate for years to come.

Once you've seen the film, I suggest a read of Team of Rivals, on which it's based.  A great book.

Currently priced at under $27 street as a two disc set, or $32 for a four-disc, with numerous extras.

Reference quality Blu-ray

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
RAH,
Thanks for your comments on this film. I spent a good 2 hours finding the correct cinema to see it in, as I was concerned about having a good frame of reference. This film literally flew by for me - perfectly written. Couldn't agree more with your impressions. I will hopefully pick this one up in the next week or so.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dave Upton said:
RAH,

Thanks for your comments on this film. I spent a good 2 hours finding the correct cinema to see it in, as I was concerned about having a good frame of reference. This film literally flew by for me - perfectly written. Couldn't agree more with your impressions.

I will hopefully pick this one up in the next week or so.
While I love a great theatrical experience, so many are problematic these days. One of the great things about having a properly tuned home cinema, is that you know you're seeing and hearing 100% of what went into the production.

For this film, as with many with truly superb cinematography, one's black levels must be set up correctly.

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This is another film I have a review ready for but which won't be posted until we get the go-ahead. Suffice it to say I found it equally terrific.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Another of the many must buys on my list. Glad to hear that it has you seal of approval.

Since the HTF was down for almost a week, I was finally able to finish reading the 3rd volume of Robert Caro's ongoing epic tome about the life and times of LBJ: The Passage of Power.

Since there is still another (final?) 4th volume to come, I suppose it's a little early to hope that a film might be in the works. But I'm really surprised that Mr. Caro's other Pulitzer Prize winning book from 1975 The Power Broker about the rise and fall of Robert Moses hasn't yet been filmed. In the right hands, this would make one helluva movie! Are you reading this Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Howard, Mr. Hanks ???

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Will be looking forward to seeing this next week, Robert...both my 50" Panasonic plasma and 56" Samsung DLP screens are ISF-calibrated for proper black levels and color temperatures and will definitely be soaking the eye candy and storytelling experience of this Spielberg gem...am especially looking forward to checking out Daniel Day-Lewis' historic performance garnering his unprecedented THIRD Academy Award for a lead character!!!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Fabulous movie, shocked it didn't get more Academy Awards. Looking forward to getting the Blu.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Reed Grele said:
. Since the HTF was down for almost a week, I was finally able to finish reading the 3rd volume of Robert Caro's ongoing epic tome about the life and times of LBJ: The Passage of Power. Since there is still another (final?) 4th volume to come, I suppose it's a little early to hope that a film might be in the works. But I'm really surprised that Mr. Caro's other Pulitzer Prize winning book from 1975 The Power Broker about the rise and fall of Robert Moses hasn't yet been filmed. In the right hands, this would make one helluva movie! Are you reading this Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Howard, Mr. Hanks ???
Passage is the 4th book actually (Path to Power, Means of Ascent, Master of the Senate) and there will be a 5th book that covers the rest of LBJ's presidency and life after.I've still only read Master of the Senate and I remember lugging that thing around 10 years ago, and so this time around, Passage was the first eBook I bought, simply because my iPad was lighter than the book lol. I need to go back now and read the first two because they're truly amazing books (as is Team of Rivals - Lincoln adapts about 5% of that marvelous book)I have been wanting to read the Moses book but it's not available as an eBook yet, or at least wasn't when I last looked...

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Moe Dickstein said:
Passage is the 4th book actually (Path to Power, Means of Ascent, Master of the Senate) and there will be a 5th book that covers the rest of LBJ's presidency and life after.Thanks for the correction. I guess I've lost count!I have been wanting to read the Moses book but it's not available as an eBook yet, or at least wasn't when I last looked...

The Power Broker is available (unabridged yet!) on Amazon. I was going to get it, but I had already borrowed and listened to the audio book on cassette tapes from a lending library about 10 years ago. You can get it for free if you sign up for an audio book club membership that Amazon is promoting.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Right as an audio book, but not as a kindle edition so I can read it on my iPad. I'll probably end up just grabbing it used at some bookstore at some point :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
=)

CII1MMAXAAAD1yf.jpg:large

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe the Alien served as a model for the exo-skeleton of the Disneyland attraction "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln."

Would have been a great way to earn a little pocket change (at least before his big break in the movies!)...

GMWML4-Disney.jpg

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
At work today (I work at a hotel), I saw a man who looked like Abraham Lincoln. As in, 6'4", rail thin, receded hairline, beard, and actually dressed like Lincoln. I have no idea why he was there. But I was equal parts spooked and impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks