What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Joy -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
You may have misunderstood my post.

Samsung is blaming any problems on improper cables. I don't buy that. Their player is buggy, and although upgrades have come along, none thus far have solved the most agretious problems.

As I've said previously, this entire rollout should have occurred in October or beyond.

RAH

What I'm saying there have been several recent articles about the problems with cables in regards to 4K. So I think that they could be right... maybe...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What I'm saying there have been several recent articles about the problems with cables in regards to 4K. So I think that they could be right... maybe...

No.

A high speed cable is a high speed cable. Blue Jeans is fine.

Samsung is telling there techs to push Monster.

The problems that I'm seeing are communication between the Samsung and other devices. Then there's the single handshake.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks to the follow-up posts from Mr. Harris and others regarding HDR as it applies to video releases (the technical issues with gear, while interesting, is currently a moot point for me as it will be a while before I have any gear with potential 4K issues to resolve).

Would it be fair to say adding HDR to films created before it was available as a tool for filmmakers (as noted in the difference between Spartacus and Joy in earlier posts) is somewhat akin (even if clumsily) to releasing a film with a 5.1/7.1 soundtrack, exclusively, where the original had a mono track? I can see the HDR issue as even more problematic as it cannot be solved by adding a duplicate w/o HDR on the disc, unlike the mono vs 5.1/7.1 issue, where an extra audio track is easily provided. Or perhaps I'm overthinking this issue.

In any case, thanks to all for the clarifications. I hope, by the time I upgrade, most of these issues will have been resolved (or perhaps I'll just stay with 1080p, as my eyes are deteriorating faster than my ears).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks to the follow-up posts from Mr. Harris and others regarding HDR as it applies to video releases (the technical issues with gear, while interesting, is currently a moot point for me as it will be a while before I have any gear with potential 4K issues to resolve).

Would it be fair to say adding HDR to films created before it was available as a tool for filmmakers (as noted in the difference between Spartacus and Joy in earlier posts) is somewhat akin (even if clumsily) to releasing a film with a 5.1/7.1 soundtrack, exclusively, where the original had a mono track? I can see the HDR issue as even more problematic as it cannot be solved by adding a duplicate w/o HDR on the disc, unlike the mono vs 5.1/7.1 issue, where an extra audio track is easily provided. Or perhaps I'm overthinking this issue.

In any case, thanks to all for the clarifications. I hope, by the time I upgrade, most of these issues will have been resolved (or perhaps I'll just stay with 1080p, as my eyes are deteriorating faster than my ears).

Journey to Space offers HDR or non-HDR, presumably made possible by the length of the film, and multiple data streams.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
No.

A high speed cable is a high speed cable. Blue Jeans is fine.

Samsung is telling there techs to push Monster.

The problems that I'm seeing are communication between the Samsung and other devices. Then there's the single handshake.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-let-battle-begin#Kfz2UO8uY7X8y9OX.97

Here is one of the articles I was referring too. I'm fine if you want to blame everything on the player... I'm sure it couldn't be any where else, after all everyone knows Samsung support lies. Maybe you could move to Europe and you can pick up one of those new fangled Panasonic players with Atmos sound drops instead... :) It's cool I liked your reviews because I thought you did a good job of getting to the point but I'm just going to pass reading them anymore because they have turned into complaining about your problems with 4K... Wish you success in the future.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-let-battle-begin#Kfz2UO8uY7X8y9OX.97

Here is one of the articles I was referring too. I'm fine if you want to blame everything on the player... I'm sure it couldn't be any where else, after all everyone knows Samsung support lies. Maybe you could move to Europe and you can pick up one of those new fangled Panasonic players with Atmos sound drops instead... :) It's cool I liked your reviews because I thought you did a good job of getting to the point but I'm just going to pass reading them anymore because they have turned into complaining about your problems with 4K... Wish you success in the future.

David, don't get me wrong.

I love 4k.

It's just that, at this moment, unless you're using the Samsung player fed into a Samsung panel, one can easily feel like a beta tester.

The format needs firmware and software tweaks before it's ready for prime time. I believe I'm relatively savvy when it comes to technical issues, and what I must ponder, I know who to go to for help.

That has not been Samsung, who have hit fail.

I'm not a lone voice in my dismay, and I fear that those who fall for the wonderful world of 4k available to us, and who do not understand the basics of a nominally high speed cable, non-existent firmware upgrades, and imagery that cannot be quantified, may throw up their hands in disgust, and walk away, not understanding that the true promise of 4k, HDR 10, P3 and Dolby Vision aren't too far away.

It's just that they're going to have to (most likely) replace a lot of gear they've just purchased, as manufacturers, and the group that controls 4k specs, have a need to sell merchandise before it's ready to be shipped.

I've spoken with many people in the industry, from those behind the qualities that we love about our display devices, to amp and processor manufacturers, to the studio techs, who must create the 4k software, and to other reviewers, inclusive of those from other sites.

And I've not found a single person, outside of Samsung reps, who feel that we're in a good place.

As to my pieces, you'll be safe reading about Blu-rays, and I'll continue to tell you which are quality examples that work happily with 4k displays.

RAH

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Off Topic Alert!
I'd like to get one of those Dolby monitors for the family room. My wife may have something to say about the cost. My sales pitch would be: "it's an Academy Award winning monitor!"

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Off Topic Alert!
I'd like to get one of those Dolby monitors for the family room. My wife may have something to say about the cost. My sales pitch would be: "it's an Academy Award winning monitor!"

HD 42" flat panel. Great if you're doing color grading.

How large is your family room?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What's wrong with "complaining"?
Especially if the technical expertise and critiques of one's writing prevents people like me from diving into the icy waters too early in the season?
I, for one, lack the monies to experiment; even though I dearly look forward to making that jump.
I, for one, am grateful for RAH's monitoring of this new frontier.
And it requires constant watch-dogging, as the minutia and nuances are ever changing within each and every day and turn.
What one views as "Complaining" can also be viewed by others as "Diagnostic".
If I went to a well-intended Best Buy salesman with dissatisfaction their resources would be limited.
Whereas, RAH and the HTF team has the ears of Samsung, et al.
And truly, I resent manufacturers who charge us their outrageous fees for products that are still at the "half-baked potato" status.
I also resent being one of Samsung's consumer lab rats - while also paying through the nose for it.
With gratitude, I will continue to read about each and every diagnostic made available to me.

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've been following RAH's 4K escapades with interest, and all I can say is better him than me.:) His efforts are appreciated.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
RAH, I get it I guess. I don't know of anyone that has the Sony 4K projectors. I know lots of people with LG, Panasonic and Samsung TVs that have had no issues with the Samsung UHD players (after the first firmware). Myself included but I'm running a Samsung TV. I do agree they released it to soon from a stream perspective but now it seems to work just fine. In fact it is better then the Roku 4, what a waste of money that thing is. I do know a couple people using it with the JVC projectors with no issues. The Facebook 4K group have been pretty happy with the Panasonic players in Europe (Other the the Atmos dropout issues, but supposedly those are fixed now). I do look at this player as a bridge to the Oppo in December.

I'm sorry about the issues that your having and maybe we can start a 4K problem thread instead of burying this info in movie reviews? Just a thought.

I did get bit in the butt last year with HDCP 2.2, which caused me to replace my receiver less then 8 months into ownership. Lucky Best Buy took it back and I upgraded at the same time.

Last edited:

MikeTV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I have the Samsung 4K Blu-ray player connected to a 65" LG OLED display with $4 HDMI cables. I have never had a single issue with handshakes, getting video but not audio, or anything of the kind. It has operated perfectly from day one.

Crysist

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Mr. Harris, this may be off the topic of Joy, but on the topic of any "enhanced" regrade that may come on a UHD disc...

The newly remastered version of Independence Day has come out on (regular) Blu-ray and while everyone agrees that it is a huge step up in detail and clarity, some people don't like the color compared to the old one. There's some concern about color saturation being too low as well as crushed blacks and blown whites. People on the other forum have been arguing whether those argument have any merit, saying the old master was way too saturated on its own. What do you think; have you seen the new master of Independence Day? (it's the anniversary edition released just a few days ago)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, this may be off the topic of Joy, but on the topic of any "enhanced" regrade that may come on a UHD disc...

The newly remastered version of Independence Day has come out on (regular) Blu-ray and while everyone agrees that it is a huge step up in detail and clarity, some people don't like the color compared to the old one. There's some concern about color saturation being too low as well as crushed blacks and blown whites. People on the other forum have been arguing whether those argument have any merit, saying the old master was way too saturated on its own. What do you think; have you seen the new master of Independence Day? (it's the anniversary edition released just a few days ago)

I've not seen.

Presuming the filmmakers have made the changes, to me it would just be a new take.

My position is always to bring color and densities to original levels.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
RAH, wil you be taking a look at Deadpool in UHD 4K? As I understand it, it was shot 3.4K, finished in 4K, and definitely strikes me as the kind of title that would try to take advantage of HDR.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Rumor has it that for 2018, Jennifer Lawrence, along with Robert De Niro and Bradley Cooper, will be seen n David O. Russell's Harriet, based upon the life of Harriet Tubman.

I'd love to see the makeup and costume tests for that one, as Ms Lawrence is 5'9", and Ms Tubman was 5'0". It worked for T.E. and Peter, although she may have to go the Jose Ferrer route. Probably be an extra on disc.

RAH

Um . . . what?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks