What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If one were to attempt to compare Bad Luhrmann's nourish musical fantasy about Elvis Presley's mistreatment by his manager, a Dutch grifter who came to the U.S. illegally in 1929. By what we learn from the film, he was always seeking his next con.

And found it with a young and innocent Elvis Presley.

Unlike musical bios about Ray Charles, Johnny Cash and June Carter, and Fanny Brice, Elvis plays more akin to the fever dream style of Rocketman.

Stylistically, the Warner production is huge, frenetic, and ultimately entertaining. Although one acquires an immediate distaste for the Colonel, played by Tom Hanks, who does a wonderful job of being the man you love to hate.

Quality is superb. The production was shot digitally with an Arri Alexa 65, and it shows in every frame. The 6.5k original was finished at 4k, which means that Warner's 4k UHD release is a direct compressed port from original

This is a reference quality release.

Those who may recall the Elvis films from the '60s printed in dye transfer will find the look in several sequences, and it's stunning.

For slipcase collectors, this one may be a keeper, as underlying the printed material and typography is a bejeweled, Elvis-worthy bit of artwork over foil.

One might presume that this will be another of those first-printing collectibles that we'll find on ebay for thousands by this time next year. But then again...

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If one were to attempt to compare Bad Luhrmann's nourish musical fantasy about Elvis Presley's mistreatment by his manager, a Dutch grifter who came to the U.S. illegally in 1929. By what we learn from the film, he was always seeking his next con.
I see what you did there... ;)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
As much as I wanted to like this film, I only really enjoyed the spectacular concert scenes. I just got exhausted by the frenetic editing for two and a half hours - akin to watching something made by Michael Bay.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As much as I wanted to like this film, I only really enjoyed the spectacular concert scenes. I just got exhausted by the frenetic editing for two and a half hours - akin to watching something made by Michael Bay.
Or... Baz Luhrmann. Have you ever seen Moulin Rouge?

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I thought it was very restrained for a Baz Luhrmann film.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, it’s the least Baz Luhrmann of all the Baz Luhrmann movies.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Way back on the 25th June, I was the sole patron for a theatrical performance of Elvis - it was a matiné and the weather outside was gorgeous. Obviously, I was the only soul in town who was keen on seeing this. I had seen the trailer before Maverick and I was quite excited. I must confess however, after five minutes, I very rapidly got flash-backs from Moulin Rouge, 20 years previously, and thought "Uh-Oh". And I subsequently emerged with a migraine, into the bright sunlight 2 hours and 39 minutes later.

Absolutely agree the look was stunning. Audio mix too.
IMG_8411.jpeg

IMG_8412.jpeg

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Did you take a photo of the film's title card? That is a gorgeous title card! I have yet to see the film myself.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Did you take a photo of the film's title card? That is a gorgeous title card! I have yet to see the film myself.
Yes I did - it positively dazzled. Will probably burn a hole in your retinas, with HDR applied.

I totally agree with the opinion that Kevin Spacey would have been way better than Tom Hanks as the Colonel.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes I did - it positively dazzled. Will probably burn a hole in your retinas, with HDR applied.

I totally agree with the opinion that Kevin Spacey would have been way better than Tom Hanks as the Colonel.
My wife and I watched the movie over the weekend. I am not a Baz Luhrmann fan and probably would not have watched it had it not been on HBO Max. We both really enjoyed it. Austin Butler was incredible, but I had problems with Hanks as Col. Parker. I remember being surprised after Elvis' death when I heard that Parker was really a Dutch person named Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk. I had always assumed he was some southern honorary colonel like Col. Sanders. The accent that Hanks affected made it rather obvious that Parker was of Dutch or German extraction, and I don't think anyone would have been surprised to hear that he was Dutch. I have heard Parker speak in interviews on Youtube, and he sounds sort of like a southern politician to me. I would never have thought "that guy sounds Dutch or German".

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My wife and I watched the movie over the weekend. I am not a Baz Luhrmann fan and probably would not have watched it had it not been on HBO Max. We both really enjoyed it. Austin Butler was incredible, but I had problems with Hanks as Col. Parker. I remember being surprised after Elvis' death when I heard that Parker was really a Dutch person named Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk. I had always assumed he was some southern honorary colonel like Col. Sanders. The accent that Hanks affected made it rather obvious that Parker was of Dutch or German extraction, and I don't think anyone would have been surprised to hear that he was Dutch. I have heard Parker speak in interviews on Youtube, and he sounds sort of like a southern politician to me. I would never have thought "that guy sounds Dutch or German".
Ironically Hanks has never played his relative: Abraham Lincoln.

Hanks is Lincoln's third cousin, four times removed.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Now we need Moulin Rouge in 4K. PLEASE Disney and I'm well aware Disney doesn't care what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks