What's new

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I doubt there's a 10 year old today who wouldn't be bored to death by Doctor Dolittle. 10 year olds today are into the Marvel and DC universe. Maybe if it was animated, the 7 years old would go for it. 10 year olds today are bored with The Wizard Of Oz and The Sound Of Music, so poor Doctor Dolittle doesn't stand a chance. Although I'm closer to 110 than 10, I still love the film and appreciate TT's efforts in bringing the blu ray to fruition.

Most kids today would be more likely to remember Eddie Murphy's version simply because it's newer and it got sequels.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Apologies. I misunderstood the information I had received. The de luxe soundtrack sounds great. When will it be released? Best places to buy it online?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I showed the disc to my 8 and 10 year old earlier this year. They found it a bit slow moving. May try again. We did see the roadshow My Fair Lady this summer. They loved it!

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
Apologies. I misunderstood the information I had received. The de luxe soundtrack sounds great. When will it be released? Best places to buy it online?

It's going on sale and will start shipping tomorrow, 11/28, starting at 12:00 PM PST at the La-La Land Records site. In addition to their site, I imagine it will also be available at Screen Archives.

davyblu

Auditioning
Real Name
David Wayne Fox
This is a movie I like more and more as an adult. I like the spunkiness of the lead female character, the My Fair Lady-esque patter songs for Harrison, the orchestrations, the beautiful cinematography, the cute kids in the title song, and best of all -- Harrison's impassioned plea for animal rights in "Like Animals". TT's new blu-ray is beyond magnificent -- what a joy!

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Don't know why people worry about whether it "stands the test of time"... As to "does it still work in the context of today?", I would say it prob plays better now than it did during the tense, turbulent late '60s when socially-conscious, oft-cynical stories were increasingly taking over the box office and epic musicals like "Dr. Doolittle" were not succeeding quite as they once did. I think the more surreal elements (eg. the two-headed llama) will be appreciated by kids today. Yes, it is LONG - it may help for one to split their viewing of it over a couple sessions - and many kids will likely get bored easily.

Abt 10 years ago I was researching a film (title eludes me at the moment) on Imdb and found reviews mostly negative (some downright nasty). Then a few years later, I happened to look up the same film + found the star-rating had jumped significantly and most newer reviews positive. The point being, ofcourse, you never know how perception or tastes (including yr own), generally and/or about a specific thing, will change over time.

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I had never been able to sit through this film but last week watched the whole thing on HBO On Demand Obviously it is not the transfer on the new blu ray. Fans of the film, please do not attack me, but this seemed one of the biggest messes I have ever seen. The script meanders all over the place. There are some good songs though most of them are very poorly served. I was impressed by the design and the scale of some of the scenes. Believe me, I am a huge fan of the road show musicals of the 60's and am glad any Todd-Ao film is getting restored and put on blu ray. If you can find a copy, read THE STUDIO by John Gregory Dunne which documents Fox during the late sixties, with DOOLITTLE one of the films in production during that time (it was a very difficult shoot). I hope the Twilight Time disc is a success which might encourage them to do the same for STAR!---also a problematic film but I think significantly better. Again... if you love this film, good for you... we all have different tastes. I still hope one day we will get PORGY AND BESS, though that seems less and less likely as the years go by.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Don't know why people worry about whether it "stands the test of time"[...]
you never know how perception or tastes (including yr own), generally and/or about a specific thing, will change over time.
I wouldn't say that "worry" is the correct term; but, rather, that some are simply curious and interested to learn if this film will carry itself over into the 21st century. Meanwhile, I agree with you about "perception and tastes"; but would like to add that such things are also informed and altered when we are seeing a film that is restored to its rightful starting place. As Martin Scorsese once said in an interview; and I paraphrase; without restoration we are viewing films where "the information is lost" and therefore we are not seeing what was fully intended. This is why TT's Doctor Dolittle is to be celebrated; as this is the first home edition to present this film at its fullest 70mm theatrical glory. Only now, can a fair assessment be made; and only by those who also love classic films, as a whole.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For me, it's the opposite.

Rather than hoping the film "stands the test of time," I remember not thinking much of the film when I was very young. I'm actually hoping I might like it more now with my different perspective on life and film and all things.

Someday, I'll see.

Reactions: PMF

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
To me, films such as Doctor Dolittle play better today. It still has the same flaws it has always had -- it's too long, too meandering, too dull for its target audience, but it also has a sense of craftsmanship, style and artistry that have been lost for decades. In this restoration, every shot is like a painting. The lighting may not have the realism found in today's films, but the skill required to bring a project of this nature to the screen is staggering. I am afraid classic studio filmmaking is now a lost art, and this is a prime example of that style at its zenith, just as it was about to collapse.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
To me, films such as Doctor Dolittle play better today. It still has the same flaws it has always had -- it's too long, too meandering, too dull for its target audience, but it also has a sense of craftsmanship, style and artistry that have been lost for decades. In this restoration, every shot is like a painting. The lighting may not have the realism found in today's films, but the skill required to bring a project of this nature to the screen is staggering. I am afraid classic studio filmmaking is now a lost art, and this is a prime example of that style at its zenith, just as it was about to collapse.
I would tend to agree... it is a style of film making which is lost. Robert Surtees' had a wide and varied career.... consider the same year of DOCTOR DOOLITTLE he also shot THE GRADUATE. There are definitely shots which must have been breathtaking when DD was shown in 70mm on a huge screen. I do love the music under the opening credits... at least one song included was cut from the the film I think. Sometimes the credits promise so much more than the film that follows--- PAINT YOUR WAGON is a good example. That this period of blockbuster musicals created in the wake of the incredible success of THE SOUND OF MUSIC produced both good and awful films is a given, though some of the studios were almost sunk when they failed.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I don't want to sound too negative, but the average 10 year old of toady will get out their cell phone midway through the movie, and lose interest in it completely.
This comes from a lot of experience with young nieces, and nephews when their family attempts showing them a "classic" film.

It is interesting how our dyslexic fingers will sometime introduce or reveal an alternate meaning when we misspell even one word.

It took me three readings of your post to realize that you meant to type "today", but my synapses made a connection between "toady" and the practice of resorting to electronic distractions instead of trying to "get into a film." Even my wife (who fortunately does not read these forums and won't know that I am telling on her) has become a cell-phone toady that cannot tear herself away even for shows she claims she wants to see and is "watching" while tapping away on the tiny screen.

I'm beginning to identify with theater designers who see no sense in the added expense of screen curtains even in their best rooms. I used to stare with anticipation at the moodily lit rich velvet while overtures played, waiting for the inevitable chill up my spine as the drapes began to part. I can still get some sense of that suspense with the Flicker Alley/Dave Strohmeyer CINERAMA Blu-rays.

The digitally addicted toadies of our time (thanks Bryan) will never understand the richness of such subtle drama in a careful presentation, but I miss it sorely. I will be buying DOOLITTLE as an expression of appreciation for days gone by.

Real Name
Alan Paterson
I saw this movie in 1968 when it reached Scotland. We usually saw a film a year after its release back then when prints had completed the Rank chain run (and bore the scars). I was 10. I was bored and I had been so looking forward to seeing it. We had to travel to Dunfermline to see it as none of the more local cinemas were showing it. The pink sea snail was one big disappointment and there were no great songs like we'd had in 'Mary Poppins'. As a 10 year old, I felt cheated and never completely forgave Rex Harrison thereafter. The things you remember as you rapidly approach your 59th birthday. Blimey!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It is interesting how our dyslexic fingers will sometime introduce or reveal an alternate meaning when we misspell even one word.

It took me three readings of your post to realize that you meant to type "today", but my synapses made a connection between "toady" and the practice of resorting to electronic distractions instead of trying to "get into a film." Even my wife (who fortunately does not read these forums and won't know that I am telling on her) has become a cell-phone toady that cannot tear herself away even for shows she claims she wants to see and is "watching" while tapping away on the tiny screen.

I'm beginning to identify with theater designers who see no sense in the added expense of screen curtains even in their best rooms. I used to stare with anticipation at the moodily lit rich velvet while overtures played, waiting for the inevitable chill up my spine as the drapes began to part. I can still get some sense of that suspense with the Flicker Alley/Dave Strohmeyer CINERAMA Blu-rays.

The digitally addicted toadies of our time (thanks Bryan) will never understand the richness of such subtle drama in a careful presentation, but I miss it sorely. I will be buying DOOLITTLE as an expression of appreciation for days gone by.
I can't wait to see this movie for the first time.
Every time I post here lately it seems I'm in a fevered rush, mistakes a plenty. Sorry for all the typos.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I couldn't be happier for this film's fans that they got the best possible Blu-ray and even an expanded soundtrack. I may even buy it just to see if my feelings about the film are the same as they were when I saw it in 70mm in 2005 at the Widescreen Weekend in Bradford, England. Now if only The Happiest Millionaire, also released the same year and my personal favorite out of the Hollywood musicals of 1967, could get that kind of treatment. Unfortunately, the studio that made it doesn't even believe its past live-action hits are worthy of anything but a new transfer.

I also keep forgetting Herbert Ross staged the numbers of this before doing the same for Funny Girl and becoming a director in his own right with Goodbye Mr. Chips.

Before he became the voice of Garfield the Cat, Lorenzo Music floated the idea making a snail the subject of an animated movie to Disney legend Ward Kimball. Needless to say, he wasn't enthused.

Oh how I agree with you, The Happiest Millionaire is such a great film, great musical score and I want it so bad on blu-ray!

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I hated this film when I saw it during its original roadshow release in Philadelphia. I felt the screenplay was overly padded, to flesh out, not story or characters, but a roadshow release. More importantly, it lacked a single singing talent that I had interest in hearing. Newly is the most competent of the bunch, but his vibrato is simply horrific to my ears. Having said all that, I feel compelled to buy this release, to not only honor the apparent care that went into releasing a Todd-AO roadshow; but, more importantly, to hopefully secure a similar release of the infinitely superior, STAR!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks