What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Brigadoon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I received my copy today and watched it this evening. It looks absolutely breathtaking and brought back fond memories of watching the film for the first time as a child with my grandmother. I'll have to remind her of that when I speak to her this weekend.
That is so great to hear. Depending on what comes in for review, I hope to watch my copy tonight if at all possible.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After finishing my work for today, I was able to put in this new Blu-ray and watch. I was overjoyed at the image quality (noticed quite a few details I had never noticed before including the patterns on the middle of Cyd's bodice and that Kelly's green shirt is plaid and not solid) and very enthusiastic about the sound quality of the disc. Both are quite improved from the DVD.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I was overjoyed at the image quality (noticed quite a few details I had never noticed before including the patterns on the middle of Cyd's bodice and that Kelly's green shirt is plaid and not solid) and very enthusiastic about the sound quality of the disc.

Matt, you may be mad, bad, and dangerous to know for my wallet. I don't even LIKE 'Brigadoon' yet you're tempting me to buy it with raves like this!! Knock it off, already!! :wub:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
What, you don’t like Brigadoon? SMH!

You don't like Brigadoon? I'm so tempted to unfriend you right now! :)

Eek!!! Does it count that I DO like most of the score? :)

Now MAY not be the best time to mention I'm not really fond of 7 BRIDES either... (I'll show myself out :()

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Seven Brides is a top tier film and far superior to Brigadoon.

Yes, but it comes down to what you like in the end, who cares which film is best. I wouldn't buy Seven Brides or any other big fifties musicals, they're just not my thing. I do like Brigadoon. I dunno, I saw it for the first time on TV about ten years ago & enjoyed it (I must have been in the mood for it), & I bought a load of soundtrack CDs for next to nothing from a s/hand CD shop that was closing down, & one of them was the extended stereo Brigadoon, & I've become quite fond of that.

Warner...keep them fifties CinemaScope films coming :)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Warner...keep them fifties CinemaScope films coming :)

p4379_p_v8_aa.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I received my copy today and watched it this evening. It looks absolutely breathtaking and brought back fond memories of watching the film for the first time as a child with my grandmother. I'll have to remind her of that when I speak to her this weekend.
...or show and share the disc with her the weekend, thereafter.:)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I finally got around to watching this new Blu-ray disc. It's a big upgrade from the already pretty good DVD. I found people's faces a bit too red but I have no other criticism. The sound is superb and, being a Conrad Salinger fan, I was delighted.

Real Name
Alan Paterson
I'd been looking forward to seeing 'Brigadoon' on a big screen for some time as I never had the chance to see it in the cinema. I was pleasantly surprised by the way it looked and sounded on Blu-ray. By the way, I'm Scottish so am quite used to the concept of whole areas disappearing into the mist like the Ochil Hills, which are our local backdrop. This movie has a great charm, only marred by Van Heflin's performance which others have mentioned. The fact that it's a studio bound production makes it more like watching a filmed version of a stage show - which is fine, as this is also reflected in the style of acting. The mixes (dissolves) used in the opening sequence and the resultant grain do tend to catch the eye as well as the colour shift caused by the optical stock going off at a different rate to the main stock. Shame they couldn't remake the mixes but I guess that'd cost more than Warner had to play with - if the original camera neg even still exists. Having grown up in Scotland and having to endure my parents generation going on about how terrible the American stab at Scottish accents were, it just makes me smile when I hear them. It's a novelty in that respect. Despite the nit picking, it is what it is - and you know, they must have done something right as today the musical numbers are still playing in my head. Above all, I enjoyed the film with its colourful costumes and big crowd scenes filling the 'scope frame to the edges. A Hollywood musical, 'like dreaming with your eyes open'.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I love Brigadoon on the whole, but I think actually performing in a production of it kind of ruined the film version for me because of how different it is from the play. I know that they're two different methods of storytelling, but the cuts made for the film version stick out to me like a sore thumb. Also, the use of so many wide shots just doesn't work as well on a small screen. While I can see that they'd be effective on a huge movie screen, on my relatively small 48" TV, they only serve to alienate me from the story.

Just my opinion, though. I'll always love Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse and I'm glad that fans of the film have gotten such a reportedly lovely disc of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks