What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Brigadoon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Isn't that funny. From the quote I posted I got the feeling Minnelli didn't really like Johnson's performance feeling it was a little over the top.

See what I meant about everyone sees (reads) things differently? ;)

I re-read his quoted remarks multiple times, and I'm still not quite sure whether he approved or not. LOL!

Anyway, it is what it is. I still enjoy Brigadoon regardless.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I'm a bit puzzled on the dull comments as I find it one of the more interesting MGM musicals because it actually has an engaging storyline vs. the normal fluff storyline used to get us from one musical number to the next.

Totally agree. Book musicals are essentially gone from today's Broadway, so it's a pleasure to see a film of one of the old ones. If I didn't like the film, I wouldn't be commenting here, because it would be uninteresting and pointless.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Considering this was the next musical release for Gene Kelly after "Singin' In The Rain" ("Invitation To The Dance" was filmed before "Brigadoon" but not released until 1956) it certainly was a big come down from that film. It was filmed at about the same time as "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" which according to interviews with Stanley Donen and Jane Powell had its budget cut so more money was available for "Brigadoon" For some reason MGM seemed to have lost its ability to make good musicals after the Bandwagon in 1953. Only Seven Brides and Gigi are top tier and "Funny Face" which was supposed to be made at MGM but they sold it to Paramount along with all the MGM behind the scenes personal when MGM couldn't borrow Audrey Hepburn from Paramount.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Any word if this will carry the alternate version like the dvd did with the 1:78 aspect ratio?
The DVD of Brigadoon did not contain the spherical version of the film which has never been on home video. It has been broadcast on TCM though. You are thinking of the DVD release of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers which contained both versions.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
The DVD of Brigadoon did not contain the spherical version of the film which has never been on home video. It has been broadcast on TCM though.

Thankfully I recorded it back in 1998, and got the alternate version unexpectedly. Although it is VHS, it is better than nothing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My disc is slated to arrive today. However, with the new television season now officially begun, I have less time in the evenings to catch up on my Blu-ray and UHD piles of discs since I'm sampling new shows for the first three weeks or so and watching old favorites with new episodes. Until I can find some free time, I'm not sure when I'll get around to this.

The perils of being a television and movie fanatic!

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I enjoy this film even though I have problems with the original show.

A show is a product of its time. This was written during the communist witch hunts. In the show, the conservative leaders turn the village into a home of the living dead rather than expose their people to outside thoughts from 'witches' (communists/liberals). But it is what it is and I choose to enjoy it anyway.

Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In the latest Warner Archive podcast George Feltenstein addresses why the 1.75:1 version was not included on the Blu-ray. Quite simply because they couldn't afford it.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I like the film. Its a good film, But considering all of the talent, it should have been a great film, and its not.
Problems - The part is written for a broadway baritone and Gene Kelly can not sing.
I wish we would get a special version where the cut numbers are inserted back into the film.
The original choice for charisse role was Moira "Red Shoes" Shearer. Gorgeous and a better actress than Charisse.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
The original choice for charisse role was Moira "Red Shoes" Shearer. Gorgeous and a better actress than Charisse.

Indeed she was...and also Scottish, which would have been a lot easier on the ear. (imho of course).

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I kinda wish they would put the flat version on disk, too. Just for comparison sake, also, because I want it. But yeah, I'll be buying this.
I was hoping for that too. They did for the "7 Brides" dvd. I think it'd be interesting to see the differences in performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks