What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Marx Brothers Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another of those "no brainer" purchases is arriving the 4th of May as Warner Bros. releases their boxed set of seven Marx Brothers films.

A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, A Night in Casablanca, Go West, The Big Store, Room Service and At the Circus...

FOR UNDER FORTY DOLLARS at Deep Discount!

That works out to less than $5.70 a title.

The film elements are in better than fine shape for their era and usage, and extras are included.

I've sampled four of the titles with satisfaction and recommend them without compromise.

For those of you who have never been subjected to the antics of the Brothers Marx, you're in for a treat.

RAH

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
Michael - I agree. While their older titles have already been released, the quality of the discs are very substandard. I really hope to one day double dip on those titles. They really are the superior Marx brothers films.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
By my way of thinking, A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, the two M-G-M productions are worth their weight in gold.

I would gladly pay $20 per title. As I look at it the rest are a gift.

Alternatively, the two M-G-M films are available at $14 and change per title, but to receive the other five for $12...

And I heartily agree that large numbers for Warner on this release may spur Universal to do a proper release on their Paramount holdings, and I know that they can do that with high quality.

How about the five Paramount films for a list of $39.95?

Would that make the audience happy?

RAH

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
After watching the A&C volume 1 set, I've gotten a thirst for more of these old comedies. Looking forward to picking up this set and more from both comic crews!

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
'A Night at the Opera' is one of my favorite comedies of all time, so I'm really excited to buy this set and see the other films.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
As always, glad to hear your thought, Robert. I had this one pre-ordered from Amazon, with Share the Love, for under 38 at my doorstep. Not too bad, and I would have been happy with these recorded on a sweater; I love the Bros!

Michael Boyd

Second Unit

Ooh is that a hint? If I didnt watch them so much I'd unload my IMAGE discs in anticipation! How about in Universal's franchise collection? Wonder how Groucho would feel being part of a franchise! I never want to be a member of any franchise that would have someone like me as a member . . .

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I can't wait for this collection. This was a mandatory purchase unless reviews were absolutely horrible (which I wasn't expecting from WB), but with Mr. Harris' reccomendation, it makes this even more automatic.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
BTW, the Marx Brothers Collection...

marks a turning point for Warner.

This is the initial catalog release NOT in snapper cases.

RAH

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
This was a locked-in buy for me anyway; but I was fretting over the image/sound quality. Now with the RAH thumbs up I'm salivating! (I hope the wife and kids are up for a Marx Brother's marathon ...)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I'd snap that up in the blink of an eye, and I know at least one friend who would do so as well.

Doug

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
A Marx Brothers Paramount box on DVD? Well, I'd sure be tempted to buy it immediately, sight unseen.

But I would certainly wait until Mr. Harris gave it his thumbs up...

StevenFC

Second Unit
Good news indeed! I wonder how long it will be before we begin to see Robert Harris blurbs on DVD covers? ;)

In some ways I think he's the Roger Ebert of the DVD world.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Steven, with all due respect, my post was tongue in cheek.

Why anyone would need a recommendation to buy this set (great movies at a great price) is beyond me!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Was that high C or vitamin D?

Brilliant stuff. Even if you believe that the earlier films were superior, there is not question that the two titles Robert cites are alone with the price of admission.

Have you got a woman in there?

If I haven’t I’ve wasted 30 minutes of valuable time

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Although I like HORSEFEATHERS and DUCK SOUP, I think A NIGHT AT THE OPERA and A DAY AT THE RACES were the best films the Marx Bros. ever did.

I am not alone in my opinion. That's what Groucho thought as well.

I actually like ALL their films (except the loathsome LOVE HAPPY, which really doesn't count). The early Paramounts have long, wooden moments, and the later pictures have weak
spots, too, but in all cases, never when the Bros. are on screen. They were always magnificent.

I'm greatly anticipating this exceptional boxed set.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The earliest Paramounts have "long, wooden moments" for the simple reason that the films were photographed stage plays with locked down cameras and recordings on disc.

The earliest (as were those from other sutdios, ie. Frankenstein and Dracula) were shot full frame with no area set aside for an optical track. Early video, as well as photographic prints and dupes from films of this period, mistakenly lopped off the left side of the frame.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The perfect Paramount Marx Collection from Universal could also include a new documentary produced especially for the set by Kevin Brownlow.

It wouldn't get any better than that.

RAH

Chuck L

Screenwriter
For me...still the biggest thrill about this set is being able to have all this titles on one day and in the five disk machine the minute that I get it home.

I always thought that maybe these films would be staggard over several months, but WB has made a lot of classic films fans happy on one little day!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks