What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Million Dollar Baby -- In High Definition (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Similar in the best ways to their release in high definition of Phantom of the Opera, Warner Home Video's Million Dollar Baby, marks the first appearance of an Academy Aware Best Picture of the Year on High Definition DVD.

With startlingly rich, deep blacks, wonderful shadow detail and a full palette of the proper colors, the quality of this disc replicates that of Warner's other first tier of releases.

We can't get too much of a good thing, and Warner, along with Universal, are leading the revolution into High Definition territory.

While everyone has the right to wait for the appropriate time to upgrade to HD, I've run out of superlatives to describe what is being missed.

Extremely Highly Recommended for contact as well as image quality.

RAH

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Same here. I watched M$B the other night and Goodfellas tonight and was just blown away. It really is like watching the actual film in my livingroom I'm just glad the wait is over. HD movies are here and not a minute too soon :)

These hd dvd's also had me wondering how reviewers will rate movies from now on lol Compared to SD DVD's scale of 1-10, I'd have to rate hd dvd's on a scale of 11-20. So far they range from good to great and I'm wondering when/if we'll see a bad looking movie in these new formats lol It's good to be a film lover these days...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the problems of HD is that programming based upon film elements that are either not original or have been mis-handled over the years will look worse, as their faults will show up much more readily.

This is one the problems being dealt with within the industry at the moment. HD transfers created over the past decade or so are being found to be lacking in certain departments, especially the cleanlinesss of the image. These are being re-visited, with additional investments made, before they can be released.

HD should be the death knell for poor quality public domain product, which has the ability to look quite horrific when exposed for what it might be, ie. a multi-generational dupe, devoid of resolution, shadow detail anything approaching a proper gray scale.

As far as new HD product meeting the initial demand, both WB and Universal are moving forward nicely.

RAH

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Which is another reason (beyond the fact that it is clearly in the studios DNA) I expect a lot of double dips from Sony as they use their old HD masters to get product out, and then go back and remaster them for a superior product down the line.
I know Sony isn't the only one out there with inadequete HD material to work from, but I do know they have been banking these transfer for quite a while in anticipation of this, so putting 2 and 2 together, you can get a good sense of what is in store.

MDB was an interesting experience at the theater, but walking out i couldn't envision wanting to ever own it. But I'm glad I do now. My second viewing of the material was much more enjoyable than the first because i wasn't distracted by trying to figure out the 'suprise' before it happened.
And yeah, seeing the depth to and level of blacks that HD can create is pretty amazing..

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

If that means a new transfer with today's telecines/scanners. Good. If it means digital filtering of the old transfer to get rid of grain, dust, scratches etc. I can only say: Be afraid, be very afraid.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure why you would want to see dust and scratches in the image. They were never meant to be part of the film.

Obviously, digital processing that alters the look of the film is not good, but when used correctly -- without a detrimental effect on the resolution, colour, or film grain that was originally meant to be visible -- these techniques are desirable.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

I have yet to see digital filtering that leaves no artifacts behind. I'm afraid of the artifacts, not the loss of scratches or removal of excessive grain per se.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was able to view a view scenes of Million Dollar Baby last night and it looks phenomenal...one of the very best HD DVD transfers I've seen (although they all look excellent).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks