What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Anyone who saw the recent series about Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon will be aware that Ms. V did not get the lead role in Sweet Charity when it was produced as a film, even through Fosse directed.

It's still the same old story...

Andrews / Hepburn.

But that aside, Shirley MacLaine should be lauded for her performance, as coached by Ms Verdon.

Two versions of the film on are offered on two discs from Kino Lorber's new blu-ray. Road Show and "alternate."

I fully expected decent older transfers, with good audio, as this is a licensed title.

That's not what has occurred.

The marketing material state "Brand new 4k restoration," but we know how those things go.

Keeping in mind that this is a very old film (1969), especially for film stocks and audio, Kino's new Blu-ray is absolutely mind-boggling.

Audio, presumably from the original mag tracks is crisp, strong, and proscenium filling. It's all there. Imagery, is perfectly stable, perfectly clean, and appears like a 1969 Technicolor dye transfer print.

Colors literally jump off the screen, as if this film isn't from the dark ages.

Zero "age related artifacts."

For a change, the marketing is spot on.

Brand new 4k restoration? Check!

Those new to the film, are in for a treat.

For those who have the DVD, or have seen it theatrically, fasten your seat belts, for it's a great show.

All this, and a new monograph from Julie Kirgo, a fan of the film.

Look for a young Bud Cort, uncredited, as a Flower Child.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Seriously?

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear what Mr Harris has to say. I have the French bluray and everything he says about this release I would have to say applies to the French release. Just wondering how much better this release could be.

While the French blu ray has the overture and intermission, it lacks the film's entr'acte. I'm assuming the Kino Roadshow cut has put the entr'acte back in.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
This is all good news indeed. I'm still a little surprised that Universal / Kino ponied up the money for an actual 4K restoration, given the relatively small fanbase the film has. I don't know if I would actually call the film "very old" though, but that may be because I am from 1969 myself.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I hope so -- there's a whole intermission card when they're stuck in the elevator. I thought there was entr'acte music?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I hope so -- there's a whole intermission card when they're stuck in the elevator. I thought there was entr'acte music?

There definitely was an entr'acte during its original Roadshow run. I stand to be corrected but I believe that the entr'acte was replicated on the old laser disc.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
There definitely was an entr'acte during its original Roadshow run. I stand to be corrected but I believe that the entr'acte was replicated on the old laser disc.

Both the Entr’acte and the exit music were also on the vhs. I’ll still get this release, but may wait for a sale now. The french blu is beautiful so there isn’t a pressing need. It’s a shame they’re missing from this as it sounds like an otherwise superlative release. But not a total deal breaker for me.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Thank you for the review Mr. Harris.
Really looking forward to receiving my copy, not a movie I know well but I love the score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks