What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I'm not at your house so I don't know your set-up. I'm not the only one who's said this, you know. There are several people who've pointed it out and we're certainly not making it up. I have a standard volume level and most Blu-rays and DVDs are perfect at that level. So, it's really easy to tell when one is mastered way too hot or way too low.
I'm not at your house either without any knowledge of your setup. My set-up is 5.1.2 setup with SVS Prime tower and Prime center speakers as my main three speakers along with Polk surround speakers and subwoofer along with Klipsch Dolby Atmos speakers and a Marantz 6013 receiver. Also, I'm not the only one saying I didn't have to adjust my volume from my normal Blu-ray viewing. That is all I'm saying as I don't have any bone in this argument nor any reason to doubt what others are experiencing in their home theaters.

Last edited:

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
In my setup, comparing the level of "Sweet Charity" after watching a couple of scenes from "Oblivion", I found about a 4db boost was needed over my usual listening level of -10 on my Marantz 8802A.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I find it astonishing that you don't mention the lower than low sound - it's so obviously botched. Yes, you can turn it up about 10db and it will match the French Blu or any other movie, but something clearly went wrong and no QC was done at all.

I didn't keep the French Blu to compare. I created a Blu-Ray that normalized the sound so that the loudest point was as loud as it could be without distortion, and the rest of the track was amplified accordingly.

Now to re-do that work and add back the entr'acte and exit music with the Kino video master...

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well like listening to cds and lps sound often has to be adjusted even within a single recording due to wide dynamic ranges. I listen to a lot of classical orchestral.
Oklahoma sounded fine to me. Noticed nothing unusual about the sound level.

Also we had earlier been talking about overtures and I pointed out the entire overture of My Fair Lady was at the beginning of the film itself during the title sequence. The titles just started later using the same continuing images. I always wondered who designed that sequence as it is one of my favorites. The gentleman Wayne Fitzgerald just died at 89 and it was in his obituary. He also designed Days of Heaven a truly stunning title sequence and I thought well that makes sense.

Last edited:

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Saw this film for the first time today. OMG! Was a great film. And Fosse was an incredible first time film director in this instance. Whole new respect for Fosse. And recently saw All That Jazz for the first time since the theater on TCM. A whole new appreciation of that film as well 40 some years later. May have to get the blu as the print on TCM was rather muted and soft, maybe SD.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Saw this film for the first time today. OMG! Was a great film. And Fosse was an incredible first time film director in this instance. Whole new respect for Fosse. And recently saw All That Jazz for the first time since the theater on TCM. A whole new appreciation of that film as well 40 some years later. May have to get the blu as the print on TCM was rather muted and soft, maybe SD.
It is a terrific film. And it got slammed in '69 and it's still being slammed today.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Had the good fortune to see the 4K of this screened at the Lightbox here in Toronto yesterday - home of the Toronto International Film Festival. The screenings are always of stellar quality. They actually moved the film to one of their two largest theatres due to the crowds and showed it with an intermission. It looked good and sounded amazing. As close as I will ever get to that first time I saw it, as a kid, in 70 mm at the University Theatre in Toronto in 1969. Unfortunately, it proved that the blu-ray Kino produced came from what Universal supplied them as the intermission card came up...we had a 15 minute break...and then the film immediately restarted with them coming out of the elevator. No Entr'acte music. It also seemed weird to end so abruptly without the exit music. Still, it was great to see it on a big screen, looking good, and with a large audience.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I find it astonishing that you don't mention the lower than low sound - it's so obviously botched. Yes, you can turn it up about 10db and it will match the French Blu or any other movie, but something clearly went wrong and no QC was done at all.
Perhaps Uni borrowed a mastering engineer from Disney. ;)

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Wasn't the intermission originally in the middle of the scene?
The intermission comes when the lights go out in the elevator and they strike some matches and start to yell, "Help". That's where the intermission comes as on the screen it says..."To be continued". After intermission we see them exiting the elevator.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Oh ok.
Anybody see it roadshow at the Rivoli? Read once they used the smaller 70MM screen rather than the larger D150 screen because Universal wouldn't pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks