What's new

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
$70? Wow.

For a non anamorphic, LD rip. Basically means it's windowboxed and you'll need to zoom to picture to have it play full width assuming your player/TV is capable which decreased the PQ a bit more. I'm not sure I'd call it better than the Laserdisc picture of teh Def Collection or Faces Set, but it depends on the LD player used.

OTOH - it's not too bad. I think I bought a used set of the 3 DVDs a few years ago at FYE for $15 ea so might be worth looking for those unwilling to go the pirate route and can't 'convince' themselves that Lucas, Fox, and Disney are so evil that having their films bootlegged/pirated/stolen from them is OK as long as you call it a Fan Edit.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Criterion will release this one day in it's all its original glory- including without the inane "A New Hope" or "Episode IV" in the opening crawl.
The extras will include The Holiday Special with Bea Arthur and Harvey Corman.

Do any of the original prints exist anymore?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
All the elements still exist. The original negatives were recut for the SEs, but by all accounts, the trims were kept. Internegatives also still exist.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
All the elements still exist. The original negatives were recut for the SEs, but by all accounts, the trims were kept. Internegatives also still exist.
One of the new discs has a featurette that shows the film vault at LFL where they say they have all the negatives and dailies shot for all of the films. They don't specify that they still have the footage deleted for the SE but if Lucas apparently saved everything else (not to mention all the models, costumes, art, etc.), I don't believe he'd toss the original footage.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
One of the new discs has a featurette that shows the film vault at LFL where they say they have all the negatives and dailies shot for all of the films. They don't specify that they still have the footage deleted for the SE but if Lucas apparently saved everything else (not to mention all the models, costumes, art, etc.), I don't believe he'd toss the original footage.

makes sense. Maybe for the 50th in 2027.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

If nothing else, Lucas would have saved all the trims just in case he ever needed to use them for some more future changes to the movies.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
picked up a copy yesterday. I like the color and sound improvements. but why does LF/Disney keep foofing with the greedo scene. sweet creeping jesus… they just love to keep poking us in the eye with nonsense changes. :blink::wacko:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
picked up a copy yesterday. I like the color and sound improvements. but why does LF/Disney keep foofing with the greedo scene. sweet creeping jesus… they just love to keep poking us in the eye with nonsense changes. :blink::wacko:
Apparently George Lucas made those edits before selling to Disney and the 4K was the first time the public has seen them. On the plus side, I guess there won't be any more changes made now.

Reactions: cb1

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've probably said it before but I think the worst part of it is that the word doesn't match the rest of the dialogue since they were recorded 35 years apart.

I believe this was just Lucas trolling the fans.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Apparently George Lucas made those edits before selling to Disney and the 4K was the first time the public has seen them. On the plus side, I guess there won't be any more changes made now.

Yeah, you can blame Disney for a lot, but "Maclunkey" wasn't their idea.

I genuinely believe Disney would be happy to sell us the original OT without George's tampering. Doesn't seem to be their call!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I half believe you're right. That added dialogue, if you want to call it that, contributes nothing to the scene. Absolutely nothing. It makes no sense at all for Lucas to have to the trouble of sticking it in there unless he just wanted to piss people off.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd say that's possible but it seems to me like he's trying to 'fix' the scene when he just doesn't have the footage to do it. Now he's using a zoomed-in existing shot of Greedo and they needed some dialogue to lay over it so they add a Huttese word over it to cover the new shot.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Considering the abuse he’s gotten from them for over 20 years, good for him!

Mixed bag. On one hand, there are way too many "George Lucas raped my childhood" morons out there.

On the other, George brought a lot of abuse on himself. He knows many fans want the originals but he refuses to let them come out again, and he keeps making these bizarre changes to the films.

Even when his buddy Steve peddled the 2002 version of "ET" to us, he still made sure we could get the 1982 original - and eventually saw the light and dropped the 2002 entirely.

Spielberg has also been good about keeping the 3 cuts of "CE3K" out there.

I actually think Spielberg should've put the 2002 "ET" on the 4K release - it exists, so why not?

And I think hardly anyone would complain about the non-original "Star Wars" films if George issued them alongside the originals.

So there's plenty of bad behavior to go around. Boo on the jerky fans and boo on Lucas!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Mixed bag. On one hand, there are way too many "George Lucas raped my childhood" morons out there.

On the other, George brought a lot of abuse on himself. He knows many fans want the originals but he refuses to let them come out again, and he keeps making these bizarre changes to the films.

Even when his buddy Steve peddled the 2002 version of "ET" to us, he still made sure we could get the 1982 original - and eventually saw the light and dropped the 2002 entirely.

Spielberg has also been good about keeping the 3 cuts of "CE3K" out there.

I actually think Spielberg should've put the 2002 "ET" on the 4K release - it exists, so why not?

And I think hardly anyone would complain about the non-original "Star Wars" films if George issued them alongside the originals.

So there's plenty of bad behavior to go around. Boo on the jerky fans and boo on Lucas!

I agree, but worth noting on CE3K there is actually new compositing/special effects with the Mothership scene at the end on the UHD BD/remastered BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks