What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's too bad about the OT being overcooked for the 4K discs...

Anyone have a reasonably good hunch whether Disney might at some point revisit them for properly done 4K discs?

I don't recall enough of Disney's track record w/ such things, but what little I can recall, I'm inclined to think they won't bother, especially w/ the way the industry and market for physical media (and 4K UHD no less) is going... That would really be too bad, not just for this (largely) beloved franchise...

I suppose the one small hope is they might eventually consider doing it to give fans the original version of the OT, which has its own specific market... but of course, even IF they do that, the results may well still be similarly overcooked...

I was reconsidering buying these on 4K UHD w/ the current Target B2G1 promo, but now, probably not...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Anyone have a reasonably good hunch whether Disney might at some point revisit them for properly done 4K discs?

I don't recall enough of Disney's track record w/ such things, but what little I can recall, I'm inclined to think they won't bother, especially w/ the way the industry and market for physical media (and 4K UHD no less) is going... That would really be too bad, not just for this (largely) beloved franchise...

I suppose the one small hope is they might eventually consider doing it to give fans the original version of the OT, which has its own specific market... but of course, even IF they do that, the results may well still be similarly overcooked...

I was reconsidering buying these on 4K UHD w/ the current Target B2G1 promo, but now, probably not...

_Man_
It's your money, but these 4K discs look great despite some criticism from a few people.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's your money, but these 4K discs look great despite some criticism from a few people.

True that.

I'm leaning toward just downloading the fan "restoration" version for the OT (talked about elsewhere on HTF) at this point and sending my $$$ to them instead... even though that'll be a bit of a pain...

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to not have the eye or knowledge that alot of people here have because it seems like I'm having a better time than the folks that I see constantly complaining about things I can't even remotely spot. I guess that's celebrating my own ignorance but I hate enough things in life, I don't need any more stuff to be bothered by.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Man, I got to pull out my 2009 Snow White Blu-ray as I don't remember it looking that terrible. My last viewing was on a Panny plasma so I need to watch it again on one of my LG OLED displays.

I’ll post a time code for a nice example to save you some effort.

The point needs to be made that films such as the Disney animated classic features will register differently to different age groups, and different sets of eyes. And then there are different mindsets, and historical and technical perspectives.

Kids will probably love them. Crisp, clean, and candy-colored. And they’re also used to seeing Saturday morning limited animation, which immediately sets these films apart.

A similar situation with the new editions of the SW films, as most viewers won’t be aware of “original” versions, which set far-reaching technological (pre-digital) standards for their time, while saving budgetary funds where possible.

These 4k releases aren’t wrong, or bad, or poorly done. They’ve simply been refined and re-manufactured for a new generation.

It’s all based upon the viewer’s personal perspective.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad to not have the eye or knowledge that alot of people here have because it seems like I'm having a better time than the folks that I see constantly complaining about things I can't even remotely spot. I guess that's celebrating my own ignorance but I hate enough things in life, I don't need any more stuff to be bothered by.
I feel the same way as I enter my senior years.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm not one of the haters, but one of the minor things that bugged me was the color. how does the color look? the 2011 set had a lot of magenta during the shooting and the blue on R2D2 was pretty strong during the desert scenes.
I'm on the fence for purchasing, It really needs to be an improvement for me to buy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ll post a time code for a nice example to save you some effort.

The point needs to be made that films such as the Disney animated classic features will register differently to different age groups, and different sets of eyes. And then there are different mindsets, and historical and technical perspectives.

Kids will probably love them. Crisp, clean, and candy-colored. And they’re also used to seeing Saturday morning limited animation, which immediately sets these films apart.

A similar situation with the new editions of the SW films, as most viewers won’t be aware of “original” versions, which set far-reaching technological (pre-digital) standards for their time, while saving budgetary funds where possible.

These 4k releases aren’t wrong, or bad, or poorly done. They’ve simply been refined and re-manufactured for a new generation.

It’s all based upon the viewer’s personal perspective.
Please do as I'm truly interested in seeing if I notice those issues you have mentioned.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not one of the haters, but one of the minor things that bugged me was the color. how does the color look?
To me, the colors are much closer to the 80's and 90's home video presentations (which is what I consider to be the correct way the movie should look since I saw it a million times as a kid) than the 2011 Blu-rays.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I know you're kidding, but people having PQ issues with these discs are legitimate concerns for them, even though, most of us don't see it or it doesn't concern us.

All of are passionate about different things too.

my order of the Star Wars films should be here next week. Looking forward to it.

Thesisko

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Does the 4K disc look better than the Disney+ version in terms of color? Doing a comparison between my Blu-ray and the Disney version, I found the Blu-ray while not being as sharp as the 4K was brighter and had far more vibrant colors. One example would be when the stormtroopers were examining the escape pod on Tatooine the sky in the blu-ray version is a vibrant blue, but the Disney version is pale in comparison...it almost looks overcast. In the opening scene on the blockade runner the corridors are a bright white, but the 4K version is drab in comparison.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I know you're kidding, but people having PQ issues with these discs are legitimate concerns for them, even though, most of us either don't see those issues or it doesn't concern us.
Yeah. But the amusing part is that most that are complaining haven’t seen the discs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Haha... not sure I'd go quite so far as "hate"... but just doing what makes most sense, which of course will vary for each of us.

I probably would just buy these 4K discs (w/ the Target promo) if I didn't already own the previous BDs and also have Disney+ (for the foreseeable future) -- I also owned the "faces" LD edition of the OT at one point and one of the DVD sets.

Just don't see much point in spending the $$$ for what seems like not much of an upgrade (and possibly more revealing of certain flaws), especially if there's some actual alternative that probably better suits me...

Maybe if I'm actually going Atmos in near future though...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah. But the amusing part is that most that are complaining haven’t seen the discs.

Not sure why that must be "amusing" (or so it seems) whenever something like this comes up. Afterall, what exactly is the point in checking trusted reviews and whatever comparisons (and having a forum to go w/ that)? Just buy everything the studios put out regardless and be on one's merry way, no? :rolleyes:

It's not like I'm pretending to give a review myself and/or complaining repeatedly these are so awful or something that nobody else should buy them...

:Shrug:

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sorry Man I wasn’t specifically talking about you. It’s amusing to me when someone forms an opinion based on someone else’s opinion without actually viewing the disc.

If that’s ok with some, that’s fine. I just like to judge with my own eyes. And I have.

*shrug* indeed.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

_Man_

I will say these discs are WAY better than the 2011 BDs. There is no comparison at all. I think it's a shame if anyone sticks with those over these discs.

I highly doubt we will ever see these revisited again on disc. Why? Well, physical media especially after this virus situation is going to probably become an even smaller niche. In addition, Disney's incentive to release on physical media has drastically faded outside of MCU and Pixar. There is really no reason for them to re-release anything here outside of a steelbook or new slipcover.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks