What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Leon The Professional -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the things that I had forgotten about Luc Besson's Leon The Professional, was that among a number of incredible performances, there was that stand out by a young girl named Natalie Portman. Just extraordinary. What's frightening is that fifteen years has gone by.

But this short piece isn't being read for information about the story or characters.

So to the Blu-ray disc.

In now typical Columbia / Sony fashion, this is another Blu-ray that looks like film. Everything is right. Nothing is wrong. And I'm more than willing to be bored by this continuous high quality.

Both versions of the film are included. Audio is uncompressed 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.

Not a single problem to be found.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Everything is right. Nothing is wrong. And I'm more than willing to be bored by this continuous high quality.
My favourite quote of yours of the year thus far.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Bring it! My Amazon preorder should probably arrive later this coming week.

Thanks, RAH.

_Man_

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
This is one that I can hardly wait to get here from Amazon. I am also glad to see that Columbia/Sony continues to provide us with a disc that there is nothing to complain about and allows us to just get down to watching the movie instead.

Parker

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Hi Robert, great points about the performances. I also agree that this is a fantastic-looking disc, absolutely wonderful.

The only thing I'd say is that the contrast is a little problematic. Comparing this side-by-side with the DVD there is definitely somepicture information missing from the BD in very bright areas, where the high contrast appears to have blown out the whites.

For me it didn't spoil my viewing enjoyment - the film, and evrything about the rest of the PQ/SQ ensured that - but I do believe it is a slight fault.

Steve W

One of the things that I had forgotten about Luc Besson's Leon The Professional, was that among a number of incredible performances, there was that stand out by a young girl named Natalie Portman. Just extraordinary. What's frightening is that fifteen years has gone by.

But this short piece isn't being read for information about the story or characters.

So to the Blu-ray disc.

In now typical Columbia / Sony fashion, this is another Blu-ray that looks like film. Everything is right. Nothing is wrong. And I'm more than willing to be bored by this continuous high quality.

Both versions of the film are included. Audio is uncompressed 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.

Not a single problem to be found.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Steve; which BD are you viewing? The Sony / Columbia disc or the UK Optimum release (which others have noted has some contrast problems)?
John, I have the UK disc, but comparisons by those who have the US one say they're identical, and note the contrast problem in the US disc, including Ronald Epstein (see post 10):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/293417/sphe-press-release-leon-the-professional-blu-ray#post_3628189

I'd just like to stress, I consider this to be a small problem, and certainly not one which should put anyone off from buying the disc (in my opinion), but I think the issue is certainly there.

Steve W

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Must be some oddball UK David Niven fan club.

Originally Posted by Yorkshire ">[/url]

Always happy to help someone with such a fine taste in avatars.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve

Must be some oddball UK David Niven fan club.
...or maybe a Kim Hunter fan club.

Oh for AMOLAD on BD. Restoration and transfer hopefully conducted by someone who's initials are RAH, of course.

Steve W

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
AMoLaD has already been dealt with at Sony and looks terrific! An SD was released this past January here in the Colonies by Sony along with Age of Consent. I've been told the connection may be that they share the same filmmaker.

Originally Posted by Yorkshire

...or maybe a Kim Hunter fan club.

Oh for AMOLAD on BD. Restoration and transfer hopefully conducted by someone who's initials are RAH, of course.

Steve W

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve

AMoLaD has already been dealt with at Sony and looks terrific! An SD was released this past January here in the Colonies by Sony along with Age of Consent. I've been told the connection may be that they share the same filmmaker.
Yes, I have the original UK DVD and the new US twofer - it's just a shame they didn't release it on BD at the same time.

Additionally, ITV in the UK were not co-sponsers of the restoration (as they were with TRS), so I can't even look forward to a UK release anytime soon, either. Hopefully Sony will see the light, or ITV will get to use the BFI restoration.

Sorry for being OT, everyone.

Steve W

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oscar; Powell and Pressburger's magnificent A Matter of Life and Death (not Press and Powellburgers little known, but well respected, golf movie A Matter of Drives and Links. Sadly)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I neglected to note that the transfer of Leon The Professional was supervised and approved by the Luc Besson, who has brought the film to Blu-ray as he wishes it to look.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Ah. That settles it then. I really don't like the contrast boost, but if Monsieur Besson approved it, there's not much more that can be said. Thanks for the update RAH.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
We must be members of the 10 years on DVD club, to get excited about all these catalog titles.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
this is shipping soon (pre-ordered a LONG time ago).

re: UK vs. US version, i read that UK is 5.0 while US is 5.1

this is arguably the best work that lesson has done either side of the atlantic ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks