What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Back to the Future -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

Re: digital copy discs: Why not put these in an envelope on the back of the box and use slimpaks in the outer cardboard slipcover? It's not like anyone hangs onto digital copy discs once installed.
Better yet why not get rid of the disc all together and just offer it as a free digital download from iTunes which would not need any discs at all. Then people who find digital copies useless would not have to worry about the digital copy disc and would allow more room in the packaging for the discs that actually matter.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by JoeBond

Better yet why not get rid of the disc all together and just offer it as a free digital download from iTunes which would not need any discs at all. Then people who find digital copies useless would not have to worry about the digital copy disc and would allow more room in the packaging for the discs that actually matter.

A 1-to-2GB download at home can still take quite some time for most folks -- not everyone's on fast FIOS or cable modem service -- and that would also require substantially greater resources to service from the internet host (vs merely doing code authentication/authorization).

Still, I guess doing actual download (vs having these DC discs) would probably be better for the environment, if nothing else, though one might need to leave the computer on for several hours to download a DC (over low cost A-DSL service for instance).

_Man_

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am really curious why so much focus is given to the packaging.

Is the movie itself not important anymore ?

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Come on RAH, I'm anxious to see what your take on BTTF is. Far too many visible edge-halos for my liking.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx

Oscar you know better than that. Of we care about the movies. When packaging is like this there will always be discussion about that too.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh man, just caught up with this. In my entire collection, I think Universal's efforts account for some of the worst packaging, in spite of how "nice" a package looks at first glance. I will for sure be ordering the UK release ... providing the reviews of the discs themselves justify it!

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx

The packaging on this is such that you feel like you could easily crack the disc in half as you're taking it out, so it's a definite concern if you're someone that wants to watch these movies repeatedly.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I received mine yesterday. The packaging does indeed suck something fierce.

What's even more sad is that Universal screwed the pooch on the transfer. Why does Universal love edge enhancement so much? Throw some DNR into the mix and you have a recipe for disaster. The picture has a very artificial look to it, which seems to be Universal's standard operating procedure for catalog titles.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This is the same packaging that Universal uses for all of their TV on DVD sets.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
I took a real bath on this one. I bought the US release for 50 bucks, but once I opened it I realized I wanted nothing to do with it. The packaging is beyond garbage (even worse than feared) and it and the discs are highly unlikely to hold up over repeated usage. Something will get scratched or broken -- in fact, one of the discs got nicked a bit the first time I took out. The cheap silk screening job makes the disc highly susceptible to finger prints and smudge marks, which just makes it look like junk. I can usually deal with that, but not in a 50 dollar set with other problems on top of it. I had absolutely no desire to deal with such a shoddy product, but as it was open, all I could do is exchange it. That solved nothing -- same product, same problems. So the set went out with the trash and the basic British version, which has standard packaging and regular artwork on the discs, is en route to me now. Adds up to a 110 investment to get this on Blu.

I usually don't care about packaging, but this really got my blood boiling.

Another unboxing:

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by rdf8585

So the set went out with the trash and the basic British version, which has standard packaging and regular artwork on the discs, is en route to me now. Adds up to a 110 investment to get this on Blu.

You know, you probably could have gotten about $45 for it on EBay...

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Not 110 (roughly) for the UK version. 110 for the US and UK version combined.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool
A 1-to-2GB download at home can still take quite some time for most folks -- not everyone's on fast FIOS or cable modem service -- and that would also require substantially greater resources to service from the internet host (vs merely doing code authentication/authorization).

Still, I guess doing actual download (vs having these DC discs) would probably be better for the environment, if nothing else, though one might need to leave the computer on for several hours to download a DC (over low cost A-DSL service for instance).

_Man_

One thing I don't understand about the way they provide DCs on disc. Why couldn't they just provide all 3 DCs on one disc? I'd think all 3 can probably fit onto one DVD-5 disc, no? Then they'd reduce some plastic waste *and* could've gone w/ likely better packaging (at similar production cost) for 4 discs, instead of 6 discs.

I passed on the set twice for $42.99+tax at J&R (between yesterday and today) due to the lingering PQ concerns *and* this packaging issue. We're getting mighty close to the holiday shopping season, so even if I decide to get the US version afterall, I'm guessing I should have no trouble getting it for equal-or-better price in another month or so...

_Man_

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I know so many say... well isn't the film the important thing... I say yes. YET, from other standpoints this is just bad salesmanship.

First of all you would think people at UNIVERSAL would have testing with their cases etc, maybe have a meeting and ask themselves is this something we'd like to give a consumer, is it easy to use, and last but not least and should be the main point - Does it present our product in the best light. IS this a release a brower as Best Buy might pick up and say COOL! I'll buy this. When it comes down to cover art, which usually is just a bad trip to the computer for a 10 second photoshop job (See BD cover for Pleasantville) The artwork should be something that entices the the customer. It should create interest in the item.

I have to say my feeling for the Back to the Future films have decreased over the years and I don't really care for them anymore, but I will admit these films were huge for Universal and are big catalog sellers for their company and in the end this release just makes it seems like they not only could care less for the films, they want to make the most obsurd packaging to prove it!

For those who think put it in a garbage bag but give me the disc that is fine, but for those who appreciate great poster artwork GREAT PACKAGING that just shouts out to the fans - there is nothing wrong with that EVERYONE WINS.

UNIVERSAL should realize this not only hurts the consumer who was looking forward to a release only to find a garbage bin style release, they will lose money over carelessness like this. G.E. They Put Great Things to Death

I was at a Best Buy yesterday they were out of Blu-Ray Back to the Future sets and I saw the DVD set because I was curious over the packaging and i picked it up off the shelf and the inner casing dropped to the floor that held the discs! (Does anyone remember how just plain and ugly the original DVD release of Back to the Future was? It was an eyesore)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
It went out with the trash. The thing is a piece of crap, so that's an appropriate place for it. One or 2 of the discs got damaged when I put them in and out and I just had enough of it. The discs/packaging are not meant to last, as several already have broken clips etc. Exchanging it would have been pointless. The product is the same.

It isn't too much to ask for when all you really want is a standard packaging job with standard artwork on the discs... especially in a 50 dollar set. One reviewer called the silk screening job "high school" level work. The basic UK version is everything I want and what should have been sold over here. I've bought a good number of DVDs/Blu's over the years and generally the packaging doesn't bother me a bit. But this just lit a fire in me, especially as I was waiting for this for months only to be so completely disgusted and disappointed.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by rdf8585 .

I can understand expecting a quality product, but honestly, throwing something away and eating over $100 because of poor packaging that can be rectified with a little bit of effort on your part (and I'm NOT excusing the studio for their obviously poor choice of packaging) seems a bit silly. But that's just me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I passed on the set twice for $42.99+tax at J&R (between yesterday and today) due to the lingering PQ concerns *and* this packaging issue. We're getting mighty close to the holiday shopping season, so even if I decide to get the US version afterall, I'm guessing I should have no trouble getting it for equal-or-better price in another month or so...

Man,

I wanted to buy this but there are so many other discs

coming out at once -- including Alien Anthology -- that

I just had to draw the line somewhere.

It seems there are just better Blu-ray releases out there.

I mean, Lionsgate did a beautiful job with Apocalypse Now

and Fox has unleashed so many catalog titles with great

transfers that they are worthy of first consideration.

I will also wait for a sale price on this set. With all the

complaints surrounding the packaging I am not going to

spend $50 for this.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

I can understand expecting a quality product, but honestly, throwing something away and eating over $100 because of poor packaging that can be rectified with a little bit of effort on your part (and I'm NOT excusing the studio for their obviously poor choice of packaging) seems a bit silly. But that's just me.

It's not just you. That's exactly the type of post that I was talking earlier in the thread when I said that I can understand why studios don't look at message board feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks