What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Jaws - in 4k UHD Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Apparently this release has both Dolby Vision and HDR10. Are the two formats used at once, or do I need to select one?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Apparently this release has both Dolby Vision and HDR10. Are the two formats used at once, or do I need to select one?

It depends on your player and your display. Most DV enabled displays automatically default to DV if it's present on the disc, and some players (Panasonic, Oppo, etc.) have the ability to turn DV off so they only send HDR10 out. My LG OLED and Panny UB9000, for example, will do DV automatically. The only way I can force HDR10 playback with discs that have DV is to disable DV on the player.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Every UHD disc encoded with Dolby Vision also includes an HDR10 encode for compatibility with systems that do not support Dolby Vision. As Doug indicated, most players that support DV will automatically play that encode if it's present, while some players allow you to shut off DV if you want to play the HDR10 encode for some reason. If I recall, Sony's players require you to manually switch Dolby Vision on/off (which is why I didn't buy a player from them).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Every UHD disc encoded with Dolby Vision also includes an HDR10 encode for compatibility with systems that do not support Dolby Vision. As Doug indicated, most players that support DV will automatically play that encode if it's present, while some players allow you to shut off DV if you want to play the HDR10 encode for some reason. If I recall, Sony's players require you to manually switch Dolby Vision on/off (which is why I didn't buy a player from them).

This is correct. I have a Sony with DV and it requires me to shut off DV through the menu if I don't want it to be used.

It also requires DV deactivated if I watch anything 3D, which I find more annoying!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Apple upgraded my iTunes copy to 4K Dolby Vision with ATMOS. I'm just gonna stick with that, no 4K disc this time.

Mark

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
According to WhySoBlu.com. we'll really have to squint to watch this release:

• Encoding: HEVC / H.265
  • Resolution: 4K (2160p)
  • Aspect Ratio: 39:1
  • Layers: BD-100
  • HDR: HDR10+ AND Dolby Vision!
Cropped or vertically compressed? The former, we'll sure miss a lot of the action (although shots of the horizon on the water might be interesting). The latter, people will be super short and super fat! :)

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
"HDR10+". I don't believe that there is a display that does both DV and HDR10+, except for a Panny available only in Europe.

Vizio added support on select models back in November and these do all 4 HDR formats:

• 2019 P-Series Quantum
  • 2019 P-Series Quantum X
  • 2019 M-Series Quantum (55 and 65")
  • 2018 P-Series
  • 2018 P-Series Quantum

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hmm. My steel book hasn’t shipped yet but the regular version has.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
"HDR10+". I don't believe that there is a display that does both DV and HDR10+, except for a Panny available only in Europe.
All 4K players will have HDR10.
HDR10 is a “base layer” which other formats lay on top of. DV, Technicolor, HDR10+, etc. will always have a base layer of HDR10.
DV and HDR10+ usually don’t coexist on player/Tv platforms because the are competing technologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks