What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Jaws - in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Jaws 2020

D7BF18C4-C866-46BA-9E1D-9D2618FEB172.gif

Robert Saccone

Premium
Apparently there's a new Jaws UHD Box set being released in Europe in Sept. Sold out already along with the Jaws 2 box that is coming out in July. Anyone know if there's any difference in the transfer of Jaws from the initial UHD release?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Apparently there's a new Jaws UHD Box set being released in Europe in Sept. Sold out already along with the Jaws 2 box that is coming out in July. Anyone know if there's any difference in the transfer of Jaws from the initial UHD release?
Initial 8k release. Players should arrive in Europe mid-Sept. ‘Bout time, as 4k is almost impossible to distinguish particles of film base from dye clusters.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I've said it before-I'll say it again:
You cannot see 8K unless your TV is 160" or bigger. This is not an opinion- this is science!

Robert Saccone

Premium
I've said it before-I'll say it again:
You cannot see 8K unless your TV is 160" or bigger. This is not an opinion- this is science!
Doesn’t matter to me. I have Jaws on every home format it was ever released on. From Super 8 Sound to UHD. If they were to put it out in 32K I would want it. 🤪

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Also Jaws doesn't even have 4k worth of picture resolution anyway.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

Also Jaws doesn't even have 4k worth of picture resolution anyway.

35mm film can resolve well beyond 4K... sometimes up to 6K.
(I get this info from actual DPs, rather than some guy on YT. (No offense)).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
35mm film resolves up to 6K.
Maybe in 8-perf Vistavision in the most pristine condition but not a 4-perf Panavision film made with 1970s lenses and processed with 1970s photochemicals.

You must be new here.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
35mm film can resolve well beyond 4K... sometimes up to 6K.
(I get this info from actual DPs, rather than some guy on YT. (No offense)).

Unfortunately, even filmmakers and DPs can buy into the myth of film's magical infinite analog resolution. (Hello, Christopher Nolan!) In reality, very few 35mm films have as much as 4K effective resolution.

The abundance of movies with 4K masters scanned from pristine OCNs that have little to no discernable improvement in actual picture detail over their comparable 1080p Blu-ray editions should speak to that.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Unfortunately, even filmmakers and DPs can buy into the myth of film's magical infinite analog resolution. (Hello, Christopher Nolan!) In reality, very few 35mm films have as much as 4K effective resolution.

The abundance of movies with 4K masters scanned from pristine OCNs that have little to no discernable improvement in actual picture detail over their comparable 1080p Blu-ray editions should speak to that.
I agree. The only time I will upgrade for some of these is because it’s a brand new transfer or if the color grading is better. Otherwise, there are some older films I’m plenty happy with in Blu-Ray. The HDR and Dolby vision k prove ents On my way! I to play as well For some films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks