What's new

a dumb question from a newbie (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
This is a really dumb question, so please don't bite me!
I'd like to improve the sound quality of my TV/DVD, but would find it v. difficult to use rear speakers because of the room arrangement (in addition, I'm honestly not all that fond of rear sounds anyway). However, I would like to be able to distinguish the front left and right effects and music from the dialogue. I'd also like a subwoofer to deal with some of the effects - we have a good quality Phillips set, but some of the bass notes obviously trouble it.
Okay, so here's the dumbass question - if I buy a 5.1 system, can I use it without using the rear speakers?

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,
In short, yes you can. Most receivers allow you to setup your speaker configuration to exclude rear channel speakers. I assume the information that would normally be sent to the rears will be sent to your main L/R speakers.
At some point I recommend that you experiment with well placed and properly configured rear channel speakers. Once they become a fully integrated part of your home theater the speaker should almost disappear, leaving only a fantastic surround effect.
- Jeff
------------------
Link Removed

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
assume the information that would normally be sent to the rears will be sent to your main L/R speakers.
Not a safe assumption, and probably not a good idea with 5.1 tracks. The standard mechanism for eliminating rear surrounds is the 2-channel downmix performed by the DVD player. Simply sending adding the rear signal to the front could lead to a lot of unwanted sonic artifacts.

Andrew, have you ever had a chance to listen to a well-configured 5.1 system? I think you might be surprised at how few sounds actually seem to come from behind (although those are the ones that people often ooh! and aah! about). Properly placed and calibrated, rear surrounds open up and expand the soundscape, but a well-mixed soundtrack should remain firmly front-centered. I know you said there are difficulties with the room layout, but there's really little point in spending the money to upgrade to a full 5.1 system if you're not going to use all the speakers.

M.

[Edited last by Michael Reuben on November 18, 2001 at 03:16 PM]

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,
While I agree with you that this is not an ideal configuration for a home theater I believe you are over stating the negative effects of running a 5.1 source with only three front speakers.
Sure, you are not going to get a realistic surround experience. This should be obvious given the lack of surround speakers. You will still, most likely, enjoy watching a movie a lot more then you would through standard TV speakers. With good speaker placement, you might even think you have surrounds...assuming your main speakers image well.
Listen to your system with the front three speakers and decide if you want to upgrade later. You will not be doing any damage to your components.
Thanks,
Jeff
------------------
Link Removed

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sure, you are not going to get a realistic surround experience.
No you won't, and there's a good chance that you also won't get the sounds that are routed to the rear speakers.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. While you are correct that most receivers allow you to disengage the rear speakers (and even if they don't, you can simply not connect them), I don't think your assumption that the rear channels will then be sent to the front left and right speakers is a safe one. AFAIK, most receivers do not provide for selective downmixing of other channels into the front speakers when playing 5.1 sources. Some will do a 2-channel mixdown from a 5.1 source, but a DVD player already has that capability.
I don't claim to be a receiver expert, so I'm happy to be corrected on the capabilities of current technology. But I don't think you can just "assume" (your word) that the sonic information meant for disengaged channels won't be lost or compromised.
M.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I'm not trying to argue with you. If you read what I wrote, I said that you will not get a realistic surround experience. That is a given fact considering you are not using surround speakers. You're post made it seem as if you could do damage to your system by not using surround speakers and I'm saying that is just not the case. You might lose surround information at times and you might get the surround information through your front speakers.
That being said. I have given demonstrations to people with surround encoded material but only using my stereo speakers and they would swear that all five speakers were playing. My speakers image very well and my receiver does a good job of handling surround information in stereo mode. It is no where near the experience of using all five speakers, but it works just fine.
Thanks,
Jeff
PS - Not everyone has the time, money or environment to setup a full 5.1 or 7.1 surround experience. They will be fine with three speakers until their lifestyle, budget, circumstance allow them to upgrade to a full surround configuration.
------------------
Link Removed

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Actually, I have heard a few decent surround systems, and I can appreciate their merits, though I can honestly say that I personally prefer stereo (I just cannot get used to the idea of a sound source unconnected with the picture!). The simple fact is that for very tedious but sensible reasons it would be impossible to use the rear speakers in the room we use at the moment, and we like our house and neighbourhood too much to alter our arrangements just to accommodate our TV watching! However, I would like to distinguish dialogue from the other sound effects and music, so I may just risk leaving the rear speaker unconnected.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
However, I would like to distinguish dialogue from the other sound effects and music, so I may just risk leaving the rear speaker unconnected.
Andrew, I understand the predicament, so let me offer two suggestions:

1. Get a center channel only and continue to listen to 2-channel sources, but with a Prologic (or DPL2, if possible) decoder. A good Prologic decoder will go a long way toward accomplishing what you want, without risking the loss of parts of the soundtrack. If it's a 5.1 DVD, let your player do the downmix.

2. Instead of placing speakers at the rear, would you be able to place them at the sides? The pre-5.1 THX specs recommended dipoles placed to the left and right of the listening position, and in fact that's the configuration I still use. (You're not the only one with room constraints!) It works very well with a 5.1 system. Just a thought.

M.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Michael - neat idea re: placements. I may just try that. My wife is hankering after a dinky little Sony system (in fairness, it doesn't sound all that bad, and the room is acoustic hell anyway, so anything beefy will sound dreadful) and we may be able to get away with some tiny speakers in the configuration you suggested.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Unconnected sound? My surround speakers(even thought they aren't the best, or even matched with my JBL fronts) don't sound unconected to the picture. I think they add to it.It actually does make it sound more realistic. I respect your opinion, though, and if it sounds better to you, more power to you, for me, though, I'll stick with my Dolby Digital 5.1. could you explain to me, if possible, why you think it sound unconnected? I'm just curious..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks