What's new

Automated Screen (1 Viewer)

JuanNavarro

Auditioning
Hello everyone, im new here to this forum. And from what I read, this is a pool of great information! well I have a few questions to ask about HT development. I put them in numerical order below:

1. I've never had or attempted to have a Home Theater, and I am planning right now to make one for my home. But what I would like to do is first test out a projector and screen in my room. Is it good or bad to have a screen that comes down from the ceiling?? or is it better to have a permanent one??

2. On screens that drop down, how are they built?? would I have to cut through my ceiling to make it work??

well I hope my questions arent dumb, those 2 have been bugging me alot latley. I hope this is a first good post for a newbie. :)

Nhoj

Auditioning
Drop screen:
out of the way and protected when not in use.
a big slot in your ceiling or an add-on soffit enclosure.
a very dusty installation job, cleaning for a week
needs power and control signals for up and down.
Could fail.
sensitive to breezes.

Fixed screen:
enjoy looking at it when your not watching a movie or cover it.
No mess installation.
No wires.
vulnerable if not protected.
Makes handy bulliten board for the family.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Juan:

Is this going to be a dedicated theater room? I personally like a fixed screen. They are easier to set up and mount and cost less than a drop down screen.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed, you can do a lot to dress up and protect your fixed screen. you can put it on a stage, cover it with curtains, etc. I've incorporated it into my A/V room. I'll update my pics later today...
Fixed screen is less worry and for a dedicated HT room, the looks are much better...

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I am going to be installing a screen that rolls up. Why? Well, kids.... 3 of them.....messy. Don't need to say more about that. I elected to go with elite screens at www.elitescreens.com. I know they probably aren't the best, but I think it's good enough for me right now because I didn't feel like dropping $2,000 for a screen, and later I can simply remove the rollup one and replace with permanent one.

Don

JuanNavarro

Auditioning
Hey everyone, sorry it took me long but i just came home from work. Well its not a dedicated room. Its my living room. We want a projector instead of TV (i dont know if THATS a good Idea), but I guess you can say it will be permanent. Oh and I went to radioshack and they got this CINEGO projector for about $1,190. With a throw distance of 12 feet, more than enough for our living room. Is that a good projector??? And if I was to make a permanent screen, is there a way to make a removable one??? say build a frame, and screen it, and just hang it when in use, or remove it say when we leave for work. Sorry for all the questions but I really get excited about this, especially after I visit the "Gallery" here on HTF.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I think a pull down screen might be the best option for you. Once you get a screen built with a frame and it is say even 80" diagonal, it'll be big and heavy. Where would you put it when it is not on the wall? I think that taking that off the wall and rehanging it would get to be a chore for anyone.
As far as the projector goes, I can't speak for that one. What I can say is make sure what you end up with will work with the equipment that you have. Make sure your inputs on the projector match the outputs on your other equipment, size and noise isn't a concern, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks