What's new

A Christmas Story: 20th Anniversary Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
How could you hate this movie? I'm sure i'm not the only one who watches it at least 5-6 times in the 24 hour period it's on TNT, am I? :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw A Christmas Story on opening day in 1983. The theater was empty. It got horrible reviews and failed miserably at the boxoffice and disappeared very quickly. I loved it but at the time, many didn't.

Here we are 20 years later and it's considered a classic. Time can do wonderful things for a film.

Who knows, Battlefield Earth may achieve the same status in the future!:eek:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino,
Even before "A Christmas Story" there was "It's a Wonderful Life" which was considered a box office failure, but television showings evidently caused some revisionary changes to the general opinion about this great film. Of course, over the years there has been other films that have experienced similar circumstances.

Crawdaddy

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I didn't think that much of this film when I first saw it a few years ago. But then, I forget which station, airs it for 24 hour straight on 12/24, and I was staying at my sister's Xmas eve, and I fell in love with it.

Now, I cannot imagine not loving it.

Haden

Supporting Actor
How could you hate this movie? I'm sure i'm not the only one who watches it at least 5-6 times in the 24 hour period it's on TNT, am I?
Nope, I've done it too. In the last 2 years I watched it several times on TNT. Last Christmas Eve I just kept the tv on that channel all evening while I did other stuff, and it played thru the movie 3-4 times. It's one of those rare movies that I never get tired of watching over and over, and that's why I got it on DVD. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Although it's in OAR, I hear the transfer is very disappointing. Any thoughts about it?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
An every day quote around my workplace:

"I like the Tin-Man. I like the Wizard of Oz."

Ill pick this one up.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Even before "A Christmas Story" there was "It's a Wonderful Life" which was considered a box office failure, but television showings evidently caused some revisionary changes to the general opinion about this great film.
I absolutely loathe It's a Wonderful Life. In fact, it sits upon my list of The Worst Movies of All Time as Numero Uno. A Christmas Story really shows it up on how do a family Christmas film and not be totally sappy, syrupy and a wonderful audio-visual emetic. I was thrilled beyond all words when all the stations lost their license to show IAWL ten billion times every Christmas. :)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Bob Clark, the director of A Christmas Story, was killed by a drunk driver today.
His son also died in the collision.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That is terrible news. Another film of Clark's I enjoy is MURDER BY DECREE from 1979. Basically the same approach to the Jack the Ripper story that FROM HELL took, but used Sherlock Holmes to solve the case. The DVD has a commentary by Clark.

HERE'S INFO ABOUT THE FATAL CRASH

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've been wanting to see that one for a while. Pity it takes his death for me to finally seek it out.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I am also a fan of Murder by Decree, as it was one of those films that shows a director known only for comedies and horror successfully tackling a piece of historical fiction. Now, if only we could figure out who owns the rights...

If I'm not mistaken, this is also one of the first films to posit the theory that Jack the Ripper was a member of the Royal Family

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks