A Christmas Story: 20th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChrisMatson, Sep 27, 2003.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

2. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

[​IMG] not a very indepth a/v review though, but who cares this DVD is mine [​IMG]

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Oh, yes! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love this movie - I think that everyone does. What makes it memorable is the mix of different tones the film has, it is not just a soppy sentimental nostalgia-fest; it's shows the pain, joy and craziness of growing up, and Christmas time is when the ante is really upped for kids and Ralphie is one of the all-time great kids in fiction. Wonderful film.

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!" [​IMG]

Don't be denied!

Gordy

4. Joe Reinwald

Joe Reinwald Stunt Coordinator

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I double-dipped on this one...

-Joe

5. JonathonSan

JonathonSan Stunt Coordinator

No embarasment here...I sold back my fullscreen version, and will pick this one up after work. A masterpiece of a movie. Well worth the double dip as my old copy got MANY spins. Interstingly, I remember seeing this in the theater with my father when I was quite young...I also remember not liking it very much, boy how that has changed.

Jonathon

6. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I'm going to stick it out in hopes of a better price between now and the Christmas shopping season. Must...resist...the...urge...

8. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Today was a good day. I picked up Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation SE, and Lion King.

9. Matthew Powers

Matthew Powers Auditioning

I looked for this today at my local Best Buy and couldn't find it. I asked one of the ever helpful employees and she told me that they would not be putting it out on the shelf until a little closer to Christmas time.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    My Best Buy put it out. I think most Christmas movies are out all year long. You should ask a manager.

They did a strange thing today, actually. Usually, new releases go on the shelves. I looked for DS9 Season 5 to no avail, and went looking for an employee. By the customer service desk, they had an L-shaped table with a black tablecloth with all the new releases laid out with the discount prices in front of them. It felt like the book fairs we used to have in middle school, actually. [​IMG] There was an employee standing behind the table for some reason. He was occupied--and I knew what I wanted--so I got it and split. Maybe he was there to try to sell people on other titles, or maybe to make sure people get the correct version so they don't get so many full-frame/OAR returns.

Anyway, long story short, but they had a pile of Christmas Story DVDs on that table. Tempting, but not when I'm buying an expensive box set. [​IMG]

11. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

12. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

And I'm almost too embarrassed to admit that I've never seen this film! I did however wait until it got a proper treatment before finally picking it up.

13. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Ron, you're in for a BIG treat. A Christmas Story is, in my opinion, the best film about Christmas ever made. You'll love it.

14. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I find this a bit hard to believe since it's in their flier. Most likely it's just an employee thats too lazy to look it up. I've had this happen before and would also recommend looking in the family section.

Personally, I think I'm going to wait until closer to Christmas to pick this title up. I won't watch until then anyway, and I'm willing to bet that there will be big blow-out prices on this and "Christmas Vacation" come Turkey-Day.

15. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Love this movie and I'm gonna wait to see if it goes on sale sometime.

16. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Picking this up at Costco this weekend. I'll give the older open-matte DVD to my brother to watch with his kids.

dave [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I also, purchased the original 1.33:1 version, but I actually didn't have a problem with it, since Ive seen this movie probably 100 times in my life, and its always been on television. All the memories I ever had of this movie were from television, so it was never a loss not to see it in OAR, but now that is available in all its anamorphic 16x9 glory, I will be picking this up!!!

19. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

I picked this up at Best Buy yesterday. My local Best Buy had dozens of copies available. I delayed purchasing this film for over a year in anticipation of this special edition. I am glad that I finally have it on DVD. A Christmas Story was one of the first films I purchased on VHS many years ago.

20. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

My wife absolutely hates this movie.

Yes, it is on my "must buy" list! [​IMG]