What's new

A $300 Powered SVS Boxed Sub? (1 Viewer)

Joe Ferreira

Stunt Coordinator
That would be nice. You know, something to fill in the gap between the $100 DLS and the $500 SVS. But it's never gonna happen :frowning:

Joe Ferreira

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, but maybe they will see a need in that price range and concentrate their engineering efforts to make something better than everything else at that price point and sell a ton of them. I didn't say I wanted them to sell a crappy subwoofer for $300. I just thought it would be nice if they saw the rather sparse niche and filled it with a good subwoofer, rather than the JBLs Polk Infinities at this price. I learnt the economics.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Or using the old 12" from the ISD trades - sealed box with overstock 190w amps from the original PC's, no base plate. Should be cheap enough to hit $299. Would be like an ugly Rava.

Joe Ferreira

Stunt Coordinator
I think it would be feasible for them to do, tuned to say 25Hz? But in your eyes, would you see SVS as less of a company for offering a low-end sub? And I can't see SVS releasing something that wouldn't just blow away everything at that price point. Hehe, they should sell them for $300 and then within one year, you can send it back for a $200 credit towards your next SVS sub, since that's what we are all saving up for anyways!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Maybe if they used a cheap 150W amp and a 10" driver they could sell it for $300. You gotta keep in mind their costs on materials. They'd have to buy in pretty large quantities to make it feasible to do something like this. Somehow I doubt they'd be that interested in it, but you never know.

You could always get the Dayton 10" sub that you assemble yourself for $349. The box isn't very well braced, but hell it's dirt cheap for a very nice 10" driver and 250W amp.

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
What about a modded Audiosource sw-15? It sells for 200 at amazon.com. Used to be available at ubid for around 130, but now that the 1 cent shipping is gone, total price is around 190.

I'm currently trying to decide whether the audiosource is worth the extra cost...or if a DLS is enough/has better quality bass? Unfortunately, it seems as though nobody has compared the audiosource to the DLS.

-Brian

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Guys,

We hear ya. Suffice it to say that for every sub you see on the website there are 3 on the drawing board, and 3 that have been discarded.

While we're sensitive to the danger of having too many subs to choose from, I wouldn't rule out a $300 SVS someday. We already buy components in the thousand that we once had to pass the hat around (wallets actually) to get 50.

Of course if you look at the prices of SVS's today, you'll see they've consistently dropped or stayed the same while content/performance have greatly improved. This is one way we've invested back into you and the product.

Only a few rules around SVS: We resolved to keep production here in America, and we resolved to always dump the bulk of our efforts into increasing our lead over the competition instead of the size of our wallets. (Somehow knowing you are the best is more satisfying than having a few extra beans in the bank ;^).

All this is to say that the minds of SVS might still find a way to bring you a $300 sub that will embarrass the $600 subs (why not, our $600 subs embarrass $1,200 subs ;^). Give us time. We are well aware there are folks that want to know they are getting the best "bang for the buck" even if spending "only" $300.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks