What's new

802.11n -- fast enough for HT!?! (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to an article about a potential new wifi standard 802.11n. It looks like we're finally getting to speeds that could be used to transmit full video and audio signals around the house. Hopefully they'll be able to reach the peak speeds (540Mbps) without pissing off the FCC as mentioned in the article. It says they can get to 135Mbps using standard communication channels. Would 135 be enough bandwidth? Oh, it would also be backwards compatible with 802.11b/g, so that's pretty nice too.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ch_wireless_dc

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
I am already running a wifi network with 802.11g and I have absolutley no stutter, or problems of any kind, playing either vob files, divx, xvid, or mpeg files off of my media server computer. The only thing I would like to do that I can't is to watch Live TV via a usb 2 TV Tuner card (Pinnacle's PCTV Deluxe) over the network. I would like it to be connected to my main computer to use as an "always on" PVR, but instead I have to move it around with the laptop. Maybe I could do this with "n", but I just got the hardware, so it would be a little while before I upgrade my router.

Elijah

Supporting Actor

How are you broadcasting/retrieving the signal. Are you using some form of Remote Destkop, Terminal Service... to watch from one computer to another, or are you simply opening the files across the network.

There is a difference in streaming the files, and streaming the video.

When you stream the file (by browsing to the media server from another computer, and simply clicking on a file) the actual file is transfered from the server to the computer you are on, and the computer you are sitting at "decodes" the video. So technically there is no "Streaming Video".

On the other hand you can have one computer broadcasting video that others can pick up on.

What I would like to do is have one computer (security cameras, thermostat control, lighting controls etc) that is broadcasting its video signal throughout the house so that various video monitors (lcds mounted in wall) can pickup the Exact same signal, and then in turn be able to control the main computer.

I would also love to be able to wirelessley transmit video from the HTPC to the projector using WiFi. They already have a TV that uses WiFi. It has a base that you plug the inputs into and then the display you can carry around with you and put it anywhere. I think it is by Phillips, but i am not sure.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing what you have setup as far as 802.11g.

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
Elijah,

I am just opening files across the network, no streaming at all. For my application, this serves me better. I am just using my desktop as a server, so that I can watch a movie on the laptop where ever I happen to be (kitchen, bathroom, etc) and still be able to use the desktop for transcoding, video and audio editing, playing games, etc. I do use remote desktop quite extensively to work with applications remotely and not run into liscensing issues, and also to do maintenance on the main computer. The desktop computer is in a cool, dark, dust controlled, out of the way room, and it's usually faster for me to just sign on through the laptop and do whatever I need to do. But no, as far as streaming goes, I can use remote desktop to stream divx and a few other higher compression formats relatively well, but not mpeg-2 dvd images.

Elijah

Supporting Actor
One other thing i wanted to know, is what brand is your wireless equipment. 802.11G is rated at 54Mbps, however D-Link boasts a 108Mbps speed when using all D-Link equipment and a firmware upgrade.

I didnt know if you were using that, or just a normal G network. I am getting ready to upgrade as my B connection bareley handles ANY type of streaming video.

BTW, I have been compiling old DirecTv dishes and am now in the works of using them combigned with a regular USB WiFi adapter where the LNB used to reside, to create a neighborhood network (my brother lives across the road, and my uncle lives next door). It will be interesting to see what kind of AV sharing we might be able to work out assuming the speeds keep up enough over the distance : ) No more going to the neighboors house to borrow a movie : )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks