What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (4 Viewers)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Thanks! I knew you'd be the one to ask, owing to your expertise in this arena (even if our tastes in advertising styles diverge). I've had a tendency to collect old magazines (off and on) all my life, picking up things from early-1900s "Ladies Home Journal" and "Wild West Weekly" dime-novels to mid-1970s comic books. The older advertising, from the first half of the 1900s, always particularly resonated with me.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Wasn't it also a bit of a popular aesthetic trend in that era (60s) for 'grainy' color? Looking at all magazines of the times, and especially TV Guides, the 1960s shoots always seemed more grainy and maize-hued than the smoother (albeit weaker and more misaligned) photos and covers of things found in the mid-to-late-1950s. Personally, I always preferred the bright, pastel look of 1950s color, which seemed more upbeat and fanciful than the 1960s trend, which I found looked a bit dirty and grungy. Always gave off a bit of an 'ick factor' to me. Advertising art also just seemed to get so minimalistic and morose, as the 1960s wore on. As much as I enjoy a lot of 1960s television, the visuals of say, a mid-to-late-1960s issue of "Life Magazine" is about as viscerally depressing as anything I can imagine. To get the bad taste out of my mouth, I have to go look over the covers of my 1930s issues of "Film Fun" magazine.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent.
Bert,

You know, now that you mention it, you're right about the grainy, super-literal look of photos in the early Sixties, both color and black-and-white. And I in general agree with your further comments. The national mood grew increasingly dark in the early Sixties, and in the aftermath of JFK's assassination, things got positively somber for a year or so afterward. In my own layman's opinion, I don't think the graphic arts recovered fully until the early Seventies.

And since you started this tangent, my artistic sensibilities resonate most happily with the graphical look of the mid-1910s through the mid-1930s, especially as regards typography.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
From the article inside the same issue looking much more like himself (and not flopped).
Gary, since you have a TV Guide collection from the period, perhaps you could resolve a discrepancy found in the various episode guides for 77SS.

Some sources list S03E20, aired 1-27-61, as "The Positive Negative," and S03E39, aired 6-30-61, as "Mr.Goldilocks." Other sources flip the position of these two episodes.

If you have an issue covering either of the relevant dates, would you please check to see which is the right order?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Years ago, a short-lived magazine called "TV Chronicles" was the only way to read info on classic TV shows before the internet.
Here's a link to the article on "77 Sunset Strip". Most of this info has been covered here on this thread but it's interesting to read anyway. The link takes you to Page 1 of the article. Clicking the "MORE" icon at the bottom of the screen will take you to Page 2 plus there's links to Season Guides for each year of the series.

http://squareone.org/stoddard/77.html

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Gary, since you have a TV Guide collection from the period, perhaps you could resolve a discrepancy found in the various episode guides for 77SS.

Some sources list S03E20, aired 1-27-61, as "The Positive Negative," and S03E39, aired 6-30-61, as "Mr.Goldilocks." Other sources flip the position of these two episodes.

If you have an issue covering either of the relevant dates, would you please check to see which is the right order?
I’ll do my best. Stay tuned.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Here you go from 6/30/61:
3521B112-01A0-416D-8579-85D49DC89066.jpeg

Attachments

• A7371B7A-F483-4063-8E5C-660AF7769060.jpeg
    A7371B7A-F483-4063-8E5C-660AF7769060.jpeg
    852.8 KB · Views: 51

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
"Terror In A Small Town" is WB's television version of 20th Century Fox's Ox Bow Incident of 1943. This was probably the studio's gift to Edd Byrnes for returning to the series by allowing him center stage in the episode--and I must say he holds his own quite well.

The story begins with a B&S annual "prank" on newcomers (JR Hale) where Jeff Spencer and Kookie appear to have an argument then shoot each other dead in the lobby of the office, in front of an astonished JR and a calmly nail-filing Suzanne. After the joke is revealed, Kookie receives a telegram to drive to tiny remote burg of Bromley to pick up some "important" papers. He believes this to also be a prank but follows through regardless. Big mistake.
Here then begins a series of highly unfortunate circumstances for the young man after he picks up a look-alike hitchhiker that had just assaulted one of the town's resident women. The hoodlum waylays Kookie, switches clothes, then takes off in in his car. I must say Kookie looks better in the bad guy's clothes than he ever did, but then Kookie would look better in anybody's clothes. Dressed as the hoodlum and devoid of identification, Kookie is mistaken as the assaulter and is arrested by the police despite his stringent protestations.
The sheriff (Don Kelly) is a gruff but fair cop who is reluctantly propelled to discover the truth despite the townspeople clammering for a hanging. The assailed woman erroneously identifies Kookie as the perp and thus the feces really hits the circulating appliance for him.
Ever resourceful, Kookie escapes jail by fooling the incompetent deputy (Warren Oates playing a nearly identical role as he did In The Heat of the Night) and hides out in a house occupied by a very pretty but surprised girl (Mikki Jamison--who is identified as "Sally" by the town operator but as "Lindy" in the ending credits). She believes Kookie's innocence, not to mentioned being immediately smitten by his ginchiness.
images
upload_2018-5-21_9-47-50.jpeg
upload_2018-5-21_9-50-12.jpeg

Mikki Jamison, Don Kelly, Warren Oates

Meanwhile, JR is throwing a party at his Malibu "pad", twisting the night away with a bevy of bikini-clad girls and ignoring Kookie's frantic phone call for help, thinking it's just another hoax. Note: JR apparently enjoys a rather uptown lifestyle despite his parking valet's salary.
Fortunately, as a noose is being applied the Kookie's neck in the town square by the howling villagers, the true criminal is revealed.
Whew. Close one. Apologies are vehemently not accepted by Kookie as he drives away in a righteous snit--but waves a sweet bye-bye to Lindy, who sighs in helpless fantasy at the thought what could have been had he just stayed a little longer.
Great small town feel to the show, with Edd Byrnes showing off amazing physical dexterity as he scampers throughout the town's foliage avoiding the chasing mob.

EDIT: I mistakingly identified Mikki Jamison as the girl in the house where Kookie sought refuge. Actually it was actress Kathy Bennett. Mikki played one of JR's bikini-clad partiers at his house.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Here you go from 6/30/61:
View attachment 46438
Note that in the episode review for the Lawless Years, directly above 77 Sunset Strip's listing--Joan Staley is identified in the guest cast credits. She later played Hannah--Stu Bailey's secretary in Season 6. Interesting juxtaposition coincidence.
images
images

Joan Staley, with Don Knotts

I absolutely adored her as simpleton Don Knott's cute girlfriend Alma in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, a movie that still inexplicably makes me laugh out loud.
Don (bumbling over a conversation topic) to Alma at picnic: "I just love good food. My mother always said 'I'd rather eat good food than bad any day'!"
upload_2018-5-21_13-28-24.jpeg

Well, with Don Knott's inflection and head bobbling, it's pretty damn funny...

Little Known Fact: Before her TV / Movie career, Joan Staley often sang back ups for Sam Phillips at Sun Records

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
"Terror In A Small Town" is WB's television version of 20th Century Fox's Ox Bow Incident of 1943. This was probably the studio's gift to Edd Byrnes for returning to the series by allowing him center stage in the episode--and I must say he holds his own quite well.

The story begins with a B&S annual "prank" on newcomers (JR Hale) where Jeff Spencer and Kookie appear to have an argument then shoot each other dead in the lobby of the office, in front of an astonished JR and a calmly nail-filing Suzanne. After the joke is revealed, Kookie receives a telegram to drive to tiny wayward Martinsburg to pick up some "important" papers. He believes this to also be a prank but follows through regardless. Big mistake.
Here then begins a series of highly unfortunate circumstances for the young man after he picks up a look-alike hitchhiker that had just assaulted one of the town's resident women. The hoodlum waylays Kookie, switches clothes, then takes off in in his car. I must say Kookie looks better in the bad guy's clothes than he ever did, but then Kookie would look better in anybody's clothes. Dressed as the hoodlum and devoid of identification, Kookie becomes identified as the assaulter and is arrested by the police despite his stringent protestations.
The sheriff (Don Kelly) is a gruff but fair man who is propelled to discover the truth despite the townspeople clammering for a hanging. The assailed woman erroneously identifies Kookie as the perp and thus the feces really hits the circulating appliance for him.
Ever resourceful, Kookie escapes jail by fooling the dumb deputy (Warren Oates playing a nearly identical role as he did In The Heat of the Night) and hides out in a house occupied by a very pretty but surprised girl (Mikki Jamison--who is identified as "Sandy" by the town operator but as "Lindy" in the ending credits). She believes Kookie's innocence, not to mentioned being immediately smitten by his ginchiness.
images
View attachment 46459 View attachment 46460
Mikki Jamison, Don Kelly, Warren Oates

Meanwhile, JR is throwing a party at his Malibu "pad", twisting the night away with a bevy of bikini-clad girls and ignoring Kookie's frantic phone call for help, thinking it's just another hoax. Note: JR apparently enjoys a rather uptown lifestyle despite his parking valet's salary.
Fortunately, as a noose is being applied the Kookie's neck in the town square by the howling villagers, the true criminal is revealed.
Whew. Close one. Apologies are not accepted by Kookie as he drives away in a righteous snit--but waves a sweet bye-bye to Lindy, who sighs in helpless fantasy at the thought what could have been had he just stayed a little longer.
Great small town feel to the show, with Edd Byrnes showing off amazing physical dexterity as he scampers throughout the town's foliage avoiding the chasing mob.

EDIT: I mistakingly identified Nikki Jamison as the girl in the house where Kookie sought refuge. Actually it was actress Kathy Bennett. Nikki played one of JR's bikini-clad partiers at his house.
So is is Nikki or Mikki?

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Note that in the episode review for the Lawless Years, directly above 77 Sunset Strip's listing--Joan Staley is identified in the guest cast credits. She later played Hannah--Stu Bailey's secretary in Season 6. Interesting juxtaposition coincidence.
images
images

Joan Staley, with Don Knotts

I absolutely adored her as simpleton Don Knott's cute girlfriend Alma in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, a movie that still inexplicably makes me laugh out loud.
Don (bumbling over a conversation topic) to Alma at picnic: "I just love good food. My mother always said 'I'd rather eat good food than bad any day'!"
View attachment 46464

Well, with Don Knott's inflection and head bobbling, it's pretty damn funny...

Little Known Fact: Before her TV / Movie career, Joan Staley often sang back ups for Sam Phillips at Sun Records

The one time I met Joan, she told me they made her wear a brunette wig because she was "too sexy" as a blonde. Overlooking the fact that she'd be sexy with her head shaved: she actually was a brunette!

Mike S.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
The one time I met Joan, she told me they made her wear a brunette wig because she was "too sexy" as a blonde. Overlooking the fact that she'd be sexy with her head shaved: she actually was a brunette!

Mike S.
This is true. As Miss November for Playboy in 1958, she had to downplay her obvious allure by wearing the black wig that Claudia Cardinale wore in Blindford (1966). I think she looks equally sexy--blonde or brunette.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Hey Martin--once again, thanks for pointing me to this forum. I was trying to stir up interest for 77 SS on the Noirish LA thread with little or no shared interest, so this has turned out to be a haven of 77 SS aficionados. it's been a great vehicle for me to utilize some quality time in my near-retirement to share stories of my favorite TV show.
Oh, I know I sometimes go off on a tangent of personal memories that may or may not be in context with this thread's subject matter. If it bothers anyone, do as I do when peeved: Drink heavily and eat stuff that's bad for you. Then hug your wife and kids and go to bed. Tomorrow always promises more opportunities.

images

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
You're very welcome, Rustifer! Your enthusiasm is infectious, entertaining and very welcome and "tangents" are all a part of the whole! I'm reminded of a line in La La Land:

Mia: "People love what other people are passionate about."

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
From an April 1964 trade publication. 149 episodes (the first four seasons) were in the original syndication package.

View attachment 46485
Great post, Gary! Fascinating piece of studio publicity for program syndication. Love the descriptors: Bristling action! Bright romance! Bouncy music! The dashing team of Bailey & Spencer! Big name guest stars! Almost makes it sound like Donald Trump describing the next episode of The Apprentice. Live mermaids! Dancing elephants!
So many adjectives. Like a flesh-colored mustache--the purpose begins to get lost...

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
About ten years ago I began to seriously explore avenues of purchasing 77 SS episodes. I finally found a very reliable source that produced tapes from the original masters, and I was able to get most of Seasons 1-4, and a smattering of Season 5. "The Dark Wood" was one episode from that season that eluded my quest. Unlike all the other eps, which I've seen at least 5 or 6 times apiece, I only saw The Dark Wood once when MeTV put it in their rotation last year. Last night I watched it for only the second time.

It begins with the unlikely premise of Stu Bailey and JR Hale on a fishing trip together. (Stu was obviously an equal opportunity kind of employer by footing the bill for a parking lot assistant to join him on his vacation.) Somewhat bored with trout and JR, Stu decides to head for a boys' camp a few miles down the road. We are to surmise that either Stu has a penchant for young lads--an unlikely story line in 1962--or for some other more sensible reason. Why, the purpose is that his old girlfriend Willa (Diane Brewster) runs the place! Whew. Scandal avoided.

images
upload_2018-5-23_9-32-38.jpeg

Diane Brewster, Susan Gordon

Stu's initial contact in the camp is young 'Netsy' (Susan Gordon)--Willa's precocious 9 year old daughter who is convinced her father was murdered instead of mauled by a bear as originally reported. As a result, she totes around a .22 rifle just 'a hankerin' to run into the supposed scoundrel and pellet him with small caliber ordnance.
After a couple of hugs and soulful eye-to-eye contact with his onetime love, Stu learns that Willa is trying to sell the camp. We also meet Tuffy (Douglas Lambert) a clumsy but well-meaning teenager who works summers at the camp in hopes of being promoted to Counselor. Tuffy's step uncle is a scurrilous dude who beats the kid and demeans him at every turn. Damn teenagers!
Note: Right about at this point, I got caught up in an infomercial promoting the Red Copper Sandwich Flip Press, an invention for the ages. Grill hot dogs, burgers, steaks to perfection on both sides at once! I was mesmerized for a full 90 seconds.

But I digress. Everyone is working hard to get the camp ready for the summer influx. All 6'3" and 135 lbs. of JR Hale has captured Netsy's puppy love adoration. Cute but a little creepy. Besides, JR is back-seat busy with the waitress from the Cherry Blossom cafe. A hoe-down in the town brings all the players together and after a few do-si-do's, promenade lefts and peach cider punch, we learn everyone is either 1.) in love with Willa, or 2.) wants to buy her property, or 3.) both.
It takes a fire at the camp to bring out the murderer of Willa's husband (Tuffy's mean uncle) and prove Netsy was right all along. Mystery solved as Stu and JR ride off literally into the sunset in a late model Thunderbird,
This episode has some good on-location campground scenes that help develop the storyline and raise it above par level. And better yet, it now sits in my 77 SS collection for all time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks