What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (4 Viewers)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
3AEF94BF-B939-4578-83E4-563E56D9E634.jpeg

⬆️⬆️
TVGuide
September 14, 1960

Second season premiere of “Hawaiian Eye.”

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
GREAT to see all this activity!

Last night, we watched The Man from U.N.C.L.E., S2E6 "The Re-Collectors Affair," which features Jacqueline Beer in a major supporting role, cast against type as a baddie. Then, this morning we saw Louis Quinn in an episode of The Monkees, S1E4 "Your Friendly Neighborhood Kidnappers," playing what is basically an evil version of Roscoe. You can tell he is evil because instead of a trilby, he wears a derby.

And if that isn't enough of a coincidence, Vic Tayback was in the cast of both episodes.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
View attachment 74076 View attachment 74077 TVGuide
Sunday, October 4, 1959
Premiere of “The Alaskans”
(It was split over two pages)
The Alaskans didn't have a chance. It came out right about the writer's strike and many of the scripts were directly from other WB shows with only the names changed. I remember watching a couple and even as a kid it was obvious. Roger Moore joked about the scripts in later interviews.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Those TV Guide posts have been great. My memory was jostled by seeing the ad for Jackie Cooper's HENNESEY series. There's a show that I'd love to see released via DVD or streaming. Great show with the beautiful Abby Dalton.
Well John there are several on youtube. Quality could be better but it least it may feed your nostalgia. :D

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Gosh, I love these old TV Guide listings. Nostalgia at its best!

Remember, before the internet. Before episode guides. All we had were tv guide listings. I used to cut them up for Star Trek listings and the Six Million Dollar Man. Now, it's almost ironic with how much information we get on episode guides.

--jthree

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
TVGuide
Monday, October 5, 1959
The premiere of “Bourbon St. Beat”
(This was the night following the premiere of “The Alaskans”)
Wow, it's sobering to see the competition BSB faced. I guess that may have had something to do with the show's quick exit.

And here's something weird. Hennesey ran until 1962, and I distinctly remember watching and liking the show. My Dad never missed a service comedy! But it was on at 10 PM. So, unless it ran earlier in subsequent seasons, I can only conclude that the reason I didn't get to watch 77 Sunset Strip was that my Mom thought it was too racy for my tender sensibilities.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Hawaiian Eye
"The Kapua of Coconut Bay" (S3E1)

Rumors are flying that there's a monster (a "kapua") in Coconut Bay.
devised a fake kapua image--a sort of horned devil--
Russ, loving your reviews as always! knowing how cheap WB was in recycling sets and props for all the western and detective series, I wonder if the "kapua" of this Hawaiian Eye episode was this recycled prop used 4 years before on Sugarfoot season two's "Devil to Pay"?...I took these screencaps from the Warner Archive DVDs...
Sugarfoot 2.JPG

Sugarfoot 1.JPG

Before the story can continue, we must suffer through a couple of island-ish songs from Ponce Ponce
one gets tired of the ubiquitous stage sets that desperately try to convince us the show is actually taking place in Hawaii
But beware, my gimlet eye (as Rob calls it) may be a little more sharp in pointing out farcical disparities, poor editing and character flaws when necessitated. Let's face it, Poncie Ponce is no Kookie.
Ha, ha, speaking of suffering through Poncie Ponce's maniacal ukulele sessions while waiting for the story to resume was driven home to me in a painful way while watching his showcase appearance on WB's Gallant Men, "One Puka Puka", ...filmed concurrently with the final season of Hawaiian Eye (Robert Conrad also got what amounted to a showcase guest shot on Gallant Men the same season)...Poncie Ponce incongruously drops in to irritate the entire Italian front of WW2, both sides...he's in the company of fellow irritants George Takei, Mako and Frank Atienza as a bunch of carefree Hawaiian daredevils who effortlessly destroy hordes of Germans while laughing it all off in yet another episode played as a comedic farce...Gallant Men had all too many stupid episodes of this type that crowded out the good and sometimes excellent episodes of this single season show...but for my money, this was the worst. Although I probably found it quite funny as a 7 year old...Poncie and his merry gang take an intermission to punch out a horde of Germans Ninja style...choreographed in the same style as the Bowery Boys...the Germans are led by an uncredited Hans Gudegast (Eric Braeden post 1970)...and then Poncie and company greet a German tank attack with a collective idiot grin as though they eat 'em for breakfast...my screencaps from the WAC DVDs...if only we had 77 Sunset Strip looking this good on DVD...
Gallant Men 1.JPG

Gallant Men 5.JPG

Gallant Men 3.JPG

Gallant Men 4.JPG

Gallant Men 6.JPG

Gallant Men 8.JPG

Gallant Men 7.JPG

Gallant Men 12.JPG

Gallant Men 11.JPG

Gallant Men 9.JPG

Gallant Men 13.JPG

Gallant Men 14.JPG

I was 10 years old in 1960 and thought it was so cool whenever there were crossover appearances between the WB private eye shows. And even now, approaching 70 years of age, I still do.
John, I think we all loved those cross-over episodes! Especially as the young fans we were back then, it was a thrill when Stu, Jeff and Kookie cracked a case with Tom, Tracy and Cricket of Hawaiian Eye...or with Ken, Dave, Sandy, Daphne and Cha-Cha of Surfside 6...and I was also out of my head with joy when Cheyenne, Bronco, Sugarfoot and Dan Troop teamed up together with Bart Maverick to give the what-for to some hooligans whenever Jack Warner and Wm T. Orr deemed it best for pumping up the ratings, ha, ha...

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ, loving your reviews as always! knowing how cheap WB was in recycling sets and props for all the western and detective series, I wonder if the "kapua" of this Hawaiian Eye episode was this recycled prop used 4 years before on Sugarfoot season two's "Devil to Pay"?...I took these screencaps from the Warner Archive DVDs...
View attachment 74139
View attachment 74140

Ha, ha, speaking of suffering through Poncie Ponce's maniacal ukulele sessions while waiting for the story to resume was driven home to me in a painful way while watching his showcase appearance on WB's Gallant Men, "One Puka Puka", ...filmed concurrently with the final season of Hawaiian Eye (Robert Conrad also got what amounted to a showcase guest shot on Gallant Men the same season)...Poncie Ponce incongruously drops in to irritate the entire Italian front of WW2, both sides...he's in the company of fellow irritants George Takei, Mako and Frank Atienza as a bunch of carefree Hawaiian daredevils who effortlessly destroy hordes of Germans while laughing it all off in yet another episode played as a comedic farce...Gallant Men had all too many stupid episodes of this type that crowded out the good and sometimes excellent episodes of this single season show...but for my money, this was the worst. Although I probably found it quite funny as a 7 year old...Poncie and his merry gang take an intermission to punch out a horde of Germans Ninja style...choreographed in the same style as the Bowery Boys...the Germans are led by an uncredited Hans Gudegast (Eric Braeden post 1970)...and then Poncie and company greet a German tank attack with a collective idiot grin as though they eat 'em for breakfast...my screencaps from the WAC DVDs...if only we had 77 Sunset Strip looking this good on DVD...
View attachment 74141
View attachment 74151
View attachment 74142
View attachment 74143
View attachment 74144
View attachment 74145
View attachment 74152
View attachment 74146
View attachment 74147
View attachment 74148
View attachment 74149
View attachment 74150

John, I think we all loved those cross-over episodes! Especially as the young fans we were back then, it was a thrill when Stu, Jeff and Kookie cracked a case with Tom, Tracy and Cricket of Hawaiian Eye...or with Ken, Dave, Sandy, Daphne and Cha-Cha of Surfside 6...and I was also out of my head with joy when Cheyenne, Bronco and Sugarfoot teamed up together with Bart Maverick to give the what-for to some hooligans whenever Jack Warner and Wm T. Orr deemed it best for pumping up the ratings, ha, ha...
Excellent post, Randy!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks again Gary for posting these wonderful pages from TV Guide! I was just watching a Maverick season 4 episode, "Mano Nera" that is set in 1870s New Orleans with Jack Kelly squaring off with the terrible "Black Hand" of Sicilian gangsters...the WB French Quarter street and Absinthe House dressed just about as it was the year before for Bourbon Street Beat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks