What's new

7 speakers, $6000 to spend, WHAT? (1 Viewer)

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely listen to planars, once you hear them you may not go back. A lot of fine speakers have been mentioned, and I've heard many of them when I was searching for speakers, but when I heard Martin Logans that was it, game over. If you are 80% into music then if I was you I'd spend 80% on the front two channels.

Maggies have a lot of fans, M-L's are superb, doesn't matter. Listen to a pair of planars to hear the difference, and if you like them explore various planars from there. Check out the planar forum at audio asylum.

The one exceeption I have heard was a pair of dynamic speakers at the Toronto consumer electronics show about two months ago. I cannot recall the manufacturer, but they were not a well-known name. They were shaped like a wedge, the top half of the speaker, where the tweeter and midrange were located, was open to the back. I have to say they sounded fantastic. That day we heard top of the line B&W's, Pipe Dreams, some other high end speakers - it was only this one pair that impressed us.

If Miles or any of the other Toronto area guys pick up this thread perhaps they can remember who made them. They really were excellent.

Take the same 6-8 CD's wherever you go, and have fun! Good luck.

Larry

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i like where Larry is going. spend more on the L&R than the other channels. spend the second most on the center channel and get the same 4 surrounds. another option is to have a pair of Martin Logans as B speakers and spend the remainder of the cash on 7 B&W 600 series speakers or Paradigm Studios. the ML's are almost second-to-none IMO (in their price range); this would yield the best setup for both music and HT, and you'll get the most out of both systems. (when i can shell out the kind of cash you're about to spend, i'm gonna have exactly that: B speakers (Martin Logans :)) for a 2-channel music setup and a full HT setup of movies-only speakers.) sorry i cant help you on specific ML models, but i absolutely adore their sound! very clear and accurate. they're also great conversation pieces for when you have friends over. :)

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Dynaudio. Audience 122's with a 122C center are well within your budget and will yield accurate, smooth non-fatiguing listening for hours on end. You can step up to the Contour line but the 7K limit *may* be difficult to achieve.

The Revel F30 based system that was suggested is also a good one. The F30 just may be the best value for a $3500 pair of speakers, period. I will warn you that the Revel center channel does exhibit some problems. It is not up to par with the rest of the system. Good luck and happy listening.

BTW, don't get overly excited because a brand is used for mastering. That fact doesn't make it good or accurate. B&W's are also used for mastering as is M&K and some others. Dunlavey has no exclusivity on mastering.

Mike V

Stunt Coordinator
Since you are going to be doing 80% music listening, you owe it to yourself to listen to Sonus Faber, they sound phenomenal and look beautiful.
Here is the link:
www.sonusfaber.com
Good luck!

J

John Morris

Thank you all so very much for your suggestions! It sure looks like I'm going to be busy over the next month or so. :) I noticed that alot of you recommended Maggies or some other planar/ribbon speakers. Although I haven't heard Maggies for several years, I did like them as best I can remember. But, I like to occasionally listen to very loud raucus rock music and I have read that these speakers do not do this very well. Is this true? Guess I'm gonna just have to take some loud stuff with me when I demo. Also, I have very little room behind my seating area, so any rear speakers which need to be "out from the wall" to sound good, are a no go. This might exclude the Maggies but will still allow the MLs.
Finally, based on a few suggestions by you folks, I am also once again considering downgrading my front speakers, from Mirage M-3si to MBS-2, for HT and then building a totally seperate 2 channel music system.
Thanks again!

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I can sympathize with your problems. I was trying to find a replacement for my OM-6's which are overpowering in my small room. (I'm about 50/50 music and theatre). It's important to me that I have matched surrounds and centre, which I find limits the choices for fronts that can handle both music and HT.

In 3 months of serious seeking, I haven't found a single speaker that has convinced me to get rid of my OM-6's.

It sucks. Here I am, ready to spend some money (not a ton of it, or I would probably go with a Revel set... unfortunately in Canadian pennies, that is outrageously expensive) and I can't find anything to buy. What is the world coming to?

For 2 channel listening I have tried B&W, Revel, Paradigm, Totem, etc.

The only thing I've heard that I know I want is a REL sub.

For the sats, I'm at a complete loss.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
John - my BG's are excellent for loud rock music. They go very loud and very clear with enough amplification. The general perception of planar family speakers not being good for rock probably comes from the idea that they have a fairly flat response curve and thus don't particularly accentuate any frequency band - aka "no kick." But loud, accurate and distortion-free is at least as good for rock as it is for any other genre and who needs "kick" when the volume level of all frequencies is loud enough rather than just certain ones?

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I think your ears are most important on this. Do what sounds right to you by listening to as many speakers as you can. One thing I keep in mind is off axis listening. Try listening to more speakers off axis and you may eliminate several brands this way.

Good luck,

Rajiv...

BrentC

Agent
Maybe its just me but ML's sound so damn lifeless. I don't know how else to describe it. But to each his own...to each his own...

J

John Morris

Brian B: BTW, I am looking into having 8 Jaguar cabinets made for some Jaguar hardware. It definately would give me some nice bang for the buck. I only wish I could hear these speakers first.

David J Wang

Agent
How about Monitor Audio Gold Reference's?

You could have

Gold Reference 20s or 10s in the front

Gold Reference Center

and 4 Gold Reference 10s for the rears

KeithR

Second Unit
I agree John. Once I separated my 2 ch. and ht, I finally understand what music is about....hell, I am downgrading my ht, as I don't want all the boxes, and my 2 ch. system is where my dough is going. I will have an old SonyES driving 5 nht SuperZeros, and a Carver knightshadow--total cost: 1500 bucks.

Meanwhile, two channel wise I have Cary, CAL, Odyssey, and now Wilsons....

I got 1 word for ya!: TUBES!

Also, if I may....Used Watt/Puppy 5.1 or 2/3s are a heck of a deal on audiogon now. They will outperform 90% of what has been mentioned here. The other way I would look is to Dynaudio, specifically Contour 3.0s and the new Audio Physic Virgo IIIs, the best floorstanding speaker I have heard under $5k.

Enjoy the search!

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
Bill Lucas,

You mention some problems with the Revel Center channel. I assume you are speaking of the C30. What problems are you referring to? You also mention it not being up to par?

Cheers,

Chris

J

John Morris

Keith R: Speaking of Contours, I might be bringing home a pair of 3.3s for demoing this weekend. If I like them enough, I can get them for about $3K or so. I still haven't been able to hear any Wilsons yet, but I'm searching...

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Chris,

There is phase distortion present with the C30. It does not perform at the level of the F30. The sealing in the cabinet is quite poor. We've had three C30s in the store and all three have exhibited problems. They are nearly impossible to integrate into a 5.1 setup because of the phasiness of the speaker. I'vwe also seen very poor quality control from Madrigal products lately, particularly Mark Levinson and Revel. Things like missing grills, rear ports that are loose when delivered, missing parts, the wrong software loaded onto a processor. Shoddiness that shouldn't be present at any price point let alone the cost of these products.

The Dynaudio Contour 2.1 center integrates so much better into its system and even pulls its weight fairly well when paired with Dynaudio Evidence Temptations. Not bad for an $1800 center channel that is trying to keep up with $30,000 a pair mains.

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry to hear the bad luck you've had with the C30. I've had M20s and S30 surrounds for close to a year now, and I went back and forth on whether to buy a C30. After trying a few other brands to save a few $$$, I gave up - could never get it to sound even decent. I always preferred it with the center channel off. So I nervously, finally ordered a C30, and received it 4 days ago. BTW, I am mostly a music guy - I rent a DVD less than once a month, and only own about 6.

My intial impressions are very positive, but they are definitely early impressions. The M20s and C30 seem to be very seemless across the front, but there is still a lot of tuning to do. Haven't been able to recover the depth perceptions I get with only a stereo pair yet, but I'm zeroing in on it bit by bit. Where have you noticed sealing problems in the cabinet - I'd like to check mine out very closely. Also, what exactly do you mean by phasey - inconsistent as you move around, or move to a different seat? I haven't had mine long enough to know exactly how well they will integrate/blend, but as I said, my first impressions was a thumbs up. I was very sceptical (and still but to a much lesser extent), but I went to bed late, and with a big smile that first night.

Thanks,

Chris

KeithR

Second Unit
John M: The Contour 3.3s are wonderful, but I hope you have a rather large room (they are quite large, and need quite a bit of space from the walls). You can find great pricing on new Dyns if you search. The reason I didn't buy the 3.0s, is 2 fold: 1. The Virgo IIIs are more detailed, more refined, and the same list price. Different sound, but I liked the more refined ring tweeter. 2. Danes take lots of power...3.0s and 3.3s should have 200+ per channel of quality amplification. I would think a Bryston 4b or Sim Audio Moon W5 would be minimum, or Cary SLM 100s or VTL Monos if you go tubes (hint).

Also, on a side note, the 1.3SE supposedly is as good as the higher contours and drops to a respectable 40hz...that is the true gem apparently of the Contours, and retails for the same as the 1.8s. I think in retrospect, if I didn't get the new Wilson Cubs, the 1.3SEs would be 1st on my audition list.

Oh yeah, Dynaudio is replacing the Contours supposedly next year...

Regarding Revels,

If I was going revel for HT only, I would get 5 M20s...the Stereophile review hits on what I have been saying for quite awhile, vs. the more typical 805. JA is a very picky reviewer (probably the most) and is tough to please...nice to see him give a glowing review for once.

Miles_W

Second Unit
John,

the speakers that Larry was talking about were pro-acs, they have a series that employ a ribbon for the highs...

Miles

BruceD

Screenwriter
John,

After almost 4 years I'm still awe-struck by the sound from my Dynaudios

Bill,

I have Contour 2.8 towers for mains, a Contour center, and Contour 1.1 surrounds.

The 2.8 mains have the Confidence Esotar tweeter.

Can you explain if the Contour 2.1 center might have any benefits for me?

BruceD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks