1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

6.1 center surround??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewW, Oct 24, 2001.

1. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

Great site!! I've been lurking in here now for a month or so, and finally got the nerve to ask a question.
    I have a Yamaha RXV3000 and need a suggestion for the center rear surround. I don't want to buy 2 speakers and only use one, and I don't want this feature to go to waste. I currently have some 8 yr. old Bose cubes for my rears, but will be upgrading to Polk fx300i, or the 500i. Thanks, Andrew.

2. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

NHT SuperOne

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    What ever surrounds you are going to replace the bose with just buy two pair instead of one. Use all four speaekers, but wire the second pair in *series* on the single rear channel. This will raise the load on the amp from 8ohms to 16ohms, but you can still calibrate them to level match the other surrounds. If this is what you decide to do, myself as well as others can give you more info on how to wire them.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover
    [Edited last by Charles J P on October 25, 2001 at 09:42 PM]

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

You could also get a external stereo amp and split the signal from the rear center pre-out. That's what I plan to do whenever I get around to adding that extra channel.
    Alternatively, if you only want one speaker, just get a matching Polk center and mount it on a shelf or small table.

5. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

Charles.
    Parallel-connecting two speakers doesn't raise the impedance, it lowers it. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel will load the amp with 4 ohm. [​IMG]
    TAH
    ------------------
    Picture of my setup so far:
    http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stue02.jpg

6. OliverG

OliverG Extra

A good friend of mine (sort of) recently informed me of his plans to mount his 6.1 center on the ceiling directly above his couch! Do you guys think this will work??!
    -Oliver
    3rAd|k8er

7. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Rear center on the ceiling? Very bad idea. Try going to DTS and Dolby Digital web sites and looke at rear placement for rear centers.
    Your surround speakers need to be able to pan from left side surround to left center rear to right center rear to right surround, and so on.
    If a helicopter is flying around the room do you really want it to sound like it suddenly jumped up over your head? That would really sound bad. Better to not have a rear center than to put it over your head like that.

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I bought 2 identical center speakers for front and rear center.

9. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

The location of your friend's speakers seem to match the Parasound's recommendation for ambient effects speakers. I'd be interested to find out whether this is the case. In the unlikely event that this is the case, I'd like to know how these additional effect speakers sound.
    Larry

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul