What's new

$500 to spend. What should I buy? (1 Viewer)

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, 1st post. I have $500 to spend for Christmas from my Mom. I want to upgrade somewhere. I have a Toshibia 2109 DVD player, Klipsch Quintet front speakers and a Technics AX 720 receiver with the AC500D Decoder. Which one should I upgrade? I live in a apartment, but it is Good Sized. I already upgraded to an Infinity BU120 Sub. My TV is a regular 35 inch tube set.
Thank you to all who respond.
Beau

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Well,since you are in an apartment,I think mabey the reciever.Get your self one of the outlaw 1050s or somthing,then when you can add another speaker when you can.
Wish my mom gave that kind of loot for christmas,I do good to get brown socks out of her theese days.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Chad's DVDs

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Beau, Congrats on your first post.
I think I would look into two new main speakers or three new front speakers. Second I would do the receiver. I think the biggest change in sound would be in speakers if you are looking for an improvement in sound.
------------------
Rich G.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum!
I'd have to say the receiver first. Normally I would agree and say the mains, but in this case the receiver is the one that is lacking. Upgrade it to either an Onkyo TX-DS595, Denon AVR-1802, Yamaha RX-V620 or HTR-5490, or Outlaw 1050. You will notice a tremendous improvement.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have always started with the receiver. I think that is the focal point of any audio system. A good receiver will make not so good speakers sound better. But a not so good receiver won't make those new speakers sound much better. This is how I started out. 1.New receiver. 2.Then the front left and right speakers. 3.Center channel. 4. Back surrounds. 5. Sub. For $500 you might also look into Marantz. I listened to the new SR 5200 And SR6200 and they sounded great. For the price I dont think you can beat them. Good luck!
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks