What's new

Beginner | What Speakers/Subwoofers should I buy? (1 Viewer)

BankerBr0

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
I am relocating from NY and looking to fill out my new apartment with a SOLID home theater set up that I was missing so dearly in Manhattan. I am really going all out for this, below are the general topics/questions that I pulled from the sticky. I was looking at Definitive Technology, but am not sure. I previously owned an old school Klipsch RF set of floors, center, and rears with a 2,000 watt plate amp on a box with 3 12"s for bass (frat life).

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)?
Both

Primary Use: 20% Music, 80% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.2

Room Size: 13' x 25'

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Kitchen

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No, I pitched my old Onkyo. I am looking at the Denon - AVR - X4200W (Massively overkill, but why not)

What's your budget (low to high):
Floorstanding: < $2,000 each
Center: < $750
Surrounds: < $500 each
Subwoofers: < $1,000 each

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope, she is on board

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Welcome to the Forum! I'll see if I can offer my picks for you.

It sounds like you have a very detailed budget on what you're looking for. I'll skip the AVR as it seems like you have that already picked out...nothing wrong with the X4200.

Towers - KEF R700 $1800/ea

Center - KEF R200 $1000

Surrounds - KEF R100 $1200/pr | KEF Q500 $550/ea | KEF Q800ds $800/pr Take your pick the first match the series, the second are towers so no mountings necessary and the thirds are dipoles. Surrounds don't need to match the fronts so you're good no matter what you pick.

Subs - 2 PSA V1500 $2100 A bit more because bass!

BankerBr0

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Welcome to the Forum! I'll see if I can offer my picks for you.

It sounds like you have a very detailed budget on what you're looking for. I'll skip the AVR as it seems like you have that already picked out...nothing wrong with the X4200.

Towers - KEF R700 $1800/ea

Center - KEF R200 $1000

Surrounds - KEF R100 $1200/pr | KEF Q500 $550/ea | KEF Q800ds $800/pr Take your pick the first match the series, the second are towers so no mountings necessary and the thirds are dipoles. Surrounds don't need to match the fronts so you're good no matter what you pick.

Subs - 2 PSA V1500 $2100 A bit more because bass!

Is there a different/better AVR that you would recommend?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Is there a different/better AVR that you would recommend?

That is a trick question, there's always a bigger, better, more expensive option. The questions you have to ask is does this AVR meet my needs and is it in my budget. I think that AVR is a fine choice as long as it meets what you're looking for.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm partial to Paradigm for bang for the buck, check their reference line but test a few different manufacturers to see what you like yourself. Note that going up in price very quickly results in diminishing returns, one you get past 'pretty good' a lot of these are almost commodities or design and build material choices, not sound quality ones

BankerBr0

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
That is a trick question, there's always a bigger, better, more expensive option. The questions you have to ask is does this AVR meet my needs and is it in my budget. I think that AVR is a fine choice as long as it meets what you're looking for.

Haha thus is life. In that price range would you go a different direction?

BankerBr0

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
I'm partial to Paradigm for bang for the buck, check their reference line but test a few different manufacturers to see what you like yourself. Note that going up in price very quickly results in diminishing returns, one you get past 'pretty good' a lot of these are almost commodities or design and build material choices, not sound quality ones

What is the price hurdle in your mind? Are there any brands/models you would avoid?

The Definitive Technology BP9080s look awesome but not sure how they compare to the above mentioned KEFs? What about Klipsch?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

My take on this... Get the least expensive AVR that meets your needs. Paying for extra bells and whistles you will never use just takes away from your speaker budget. Speakers are what makes or breaks the system. Typically, the difference between a $2000 AVR and a $1200 AVR is small.

I am also a fan of internet direct speakers. Many times you get more for less. My system system is similar in price to the one you are building but I spent more on subs and got the previous year's model Denon (I have the x4000). FWIW, I have Axiom speakers and SVS subs.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I agree with Dave that I would get the least expensive AVR that meets what you're looking for. I don't see the big spend on the AVR as electronics will change over time and be replaced with newer and better much sooner than speakers. You could be totally fine with the X4200 but if the X2200 meets the needs or even the X1200 why not save that money.

There are so many good speakers out there for your budget that really you're only limited to what you like. I simply picked some that I think would be awesome.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My suggestion is to consider a better single sub rather than two cheaper ones. The Power Sound Audio models seem really nice. Subs are complicated to set up ideally and two subs are more complicated than one. I suspect you'd be happier with a single S3000i, S3600i or V3600i. They're both dual driver models, which has some benefits, so you really are getting your two subs, in one cabinet. Your room isn't very big, and any of these will still be overkill. Personally, I'd lean toward a sealed model for better extension and control with a negligeable loss of maximum output, which you don't need anyway in that room.

BankerBr0

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
That makes sense. The only reason I wanted to go with dual subs is I have an EXTREME OCD with things being symmetrical and it bugged me before when I only had one subwoofer.

Also... that makes sense on the Receiver. I'll check out last year's models

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks