What's new

$500 budget (1 Viewer)

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
any recommendations for a HT on a 500 dollar budget to start off. Looking at a H/K~Onkyo~Denon~Marantz~NAD receivers but want some advice on speakers. I Like AR or NHT speakers.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Do you want to get speakers AND a receiver for $500? If so, those brands may be a little out of your price range.

Sonnyc

Grip
My brother got a Onkyo HTR-650 HITB for $499 and it sounds pretty good. Plenty of bass and good sound from Spiderman.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
You should be able to do an Acoustic Research 5.0 setup for under $400 by purchasing from various vendors; I got my Performance towers for $220 from a local shop, my Performance surrounds from uBid for $60, and my Performance center for $50 from a fellow HTF member. I currently have a cheap Kenwood sub rounding out my 5.1 setup, which will be replaced by the DLS 10" soon.

You could free up some additional money by using Performance bookshelves as mains, but that still doesn't leave much for a receiver, especially the brands you mention.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
i have a new set up for $444.
Pioneer VSX-D811S, $150 ($399)
Sony DVD Changer DVP-NC655P, $95 ($229)
Onkyo SKSHT500, $199 ($299)
total paid: $444 ($927 retailed)
how?
Pioneer (friend's hook up at Best Buy)
Sony (same)
Onkyo (after Thanksgiving sale)
:D i'm a happy camper.
now, to wait for an upgrade to a nice screen.
i'm just not sure how long the wait is. :frowning:
-david

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
Plan on buying used equipment. Technology moving so fast, 1st generation prologic would be fine for me at this time, and can get some good deals on almost new stuff.

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, your post really didn't help me by the way. I have been looking at "nearly" new electronics lately, and with this in mind old technology is inexpensive.

Michael X

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to sell my DPL HT setup for $500, and thats with tower mains and a huge sub...:D
Have you tried the HT For Sale and Trade forum? Theres usually tons of deals there, and sometimes for stuff thats not too old. Also try the clearance sections of websites, theres good stuff cheap...and sometimes new.
You could also call around to your local electronics stores and see if they have any deals on returned merchandise (like a return for some reason other than being defective), or something thats been on the shelf for two years and doesnt seem to sell...discontinued models and that sort of thing.

David Dhaus

Agent
I'm one who has the Onkyo HT-S650. I got it at CC for $458. I think someone online has it for $439. Watched Simon & Garfunkel in central Park last night (PBA beg-a-thon on TV). Sounded great to me. LOTR is unbelievable. In this price range, it is a fantastic system.

Ken_VW

Grip
I also just got the Onkyo HTS-650 and am Very, Very happy with it. Got mine at HH Gregg for 449 with their in-store rebate. plus they dealt the price down 20 more on the onkyo and 30 off a Panasonic DVD Player. The final onkyo price was 429. not too bad. Keep in mind you'll need some cables as well. They add up fast. Use better speaker wire than comes with it. (I got 12 ga speaker wire at Lowe's .39/ft)
Just finished FOTR in Digital Audio for the 1st time. All I can say is AWESOME! That $20 optical cable is certainly worth the $$.

Ken

Steve Adams

Second Unit
ok, this is what i suggest,

pioneer vsx-d510 or 511.
Fluance htav speaker set,
any low priced dvd player, two of my fav's are toshiba and zenith,
and a dvs 10 sub from partsexpress.

should be able to get all that for 500 or so off of ebay!

Hey, Mikey. Saw your post and was wondering if you have auditioned the Klipsch ProMedia DD 5.1 system? It's primarily a computer system, but with the digital decoder also from Klipsch; you've got a 5.1 THX certified system pumping 500 Watts of high quality audio. Freq. response is 25Hz - 20 kHz; WAY too respectable for a sub $500 tag. These guys sound absolutely phenominal, give them a try for yourself. Doesn't hurt that they come with everything you need except a DVD player.
http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?pat...id=570&line=&1
Check 'em out - you'll simply be amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks