What's new

5.1 Wiring sound Question (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I have a dts receiver its a pioneer. well I have 2 floor speakers, a center, and my surrounds....
On the back of my receiver there are inputs for the 5.1 sound (little rca jack ins) My question is can I take my speaker wire from my speakers (the negative and positive wires) and get a rca jack of some sorts and connect it so I can plug them into my 5.1 receiver....... Understand?? lol hope so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I don't understand. You want to plug speakers into the back of your recevier via the multichannel input?

If that is your question, you should goto the basics area and ask why you can't.

Good luck

-rob

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Normal output levels from a RCA jack would be about 1 volt peak to peak.
that level wouldn't drive most speakers, it's perfect for headphones

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Those 5.1 inputs on the back of your receiver are what you would used to connect to a SACD or DVD-A player. I mistakenly connected my subwoofer to the input and for a time couldn't figure out why nothing was coming out of the sub.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
You gotta wire your speakers to the speakers binding post
behind your receiver accordingly or you get no sound at all.

The 5.1 inputs are for as Marty M said,either for SACD player or DVD player with built in decoder.

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
What people have said is certainly correct and true, but nobody has asked: why would you want to do this? What exactly are you trying to do? Or is it just that you're having trouble hooking up you speakers?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
ok... im sorry for the misuse in terms...... i think leon was the closest to knowing what I meant... Right now I have my speakers tied into the binding posts.. so I get all sounds everything is fine, but when I switch my pioneer receiver into 5.1 mode I get no sound (I would also have switched my dvd player to 5.1 not dts or dd) So I looked in the back and see 6 rca jacks that are labeled front r , front l, center.. so on....
It says they are the 5.1 inputs?? I have a JVC Progressive scan dvd player and on the back of it there isnt the 5.1 audio OUT, just your typical av jacks (is this what I need a 5.1 audio out for my dvd.....)
Please everyone bear with me! Im trying terribly hard to make this understandable but its hard since in the audio dep, I am still a newbie!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have a JVC Progressive scan dvd player and on the back of it there isnt the 5.1 audio OUT, just your typical av jacks (is this what I need a 5.1 audio out for my dvd.....)
Your problem isn't with the speaker connections. It appears to be with the connection between the DVD player and the receiver. How do you have them connected at the moment?
For 5.1 audio, you need a digital connection between the player and the receiver. The connection can be either coax (using RCA plugs) or optical (using a special connector that you'd know if you saw it, because it doesn't resemble anything else). It all depends on what outputs the player has and what inputs the receiver has.
If you're not sure, try listing every output on the back of the player, exactly as it's labeled.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks