What's new

5.1 setup configuration questions (1 Viewer)

pedxing55

Auditioning
Real Name
tyler
Hi,

I am a newbie when it comes to this, so I appologize in advance, I will try to give as much detail as possible.

My current setup is as follows:
16' x 14' room with 42" Samsung SP-S4243 Plasma TV approximately 1.5 feet from longer side of the room. My couch is an L-sectional with the smaller portion facing the television (due to room configuration). The seat closest to the end of the couch is directly accross from the television. The seat accross from the television is against the back wall. See attached picture.

Pioneer VSX-D912 7.1 receiver.
My speakers are four Wharfedale Emerald 93 Bookshelf Speakers, the front two are on 24" stands just to the right and left of the television.

Just this week I purchased an Aperion 533-VAC center channel and Infinity PS 10 250 watt powered subwoofer to go with the setup. Subwoofer will be place next to the televison.

What I am wondering is how to make the most of my setup. Although I have a 7.1 receiver, the way the room is configured I will only be able to make use of 5 of the channels. Will this cause any sort of problem when it comes to sound output?

Secondly, I am somewhat at a loss as to where to place my back speakers. I am thinking of wall mounting them, but how high on the wall should i mount them? The ceiling is 12' high. That's everything I can think of for now...I'm sure there will be more for later. Sorry if I forgot to mention important details, just let me know. Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Where'd you buy the Aperion? My first suggestion to get the most out of your system would be to take back the Aperion center and get the Wharfedale. That's not to say that one is better than the other, but it's important for all your speakers to match (or at least your front three). It will be nearly impossible to get a good sound stage with you center not matching your mains.

There is no problem running 5.1 out of a 7.1 receiver.

Your best bet for rear speaker placement is probably on your side walls about 6 feet up the wall, possibly angled down slightly (if possible). You'll then need to calibrate them well because one will be further from most listeners than the other (because it is across the hallway).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks