What's new

5.1.2 speaker location? (1 Viewer)

William Lang Jr

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
I am new to this forum so hello to all.
I am just getting my feet wet with a home theater setup so my apologies if my questions seem a little basic and long winded.

Currently I have the options to set up a 7.1 or 5.1.2 surround sound system. My thoughts were to go with a 5.1.2 and use the additional 2 speakers as front height speakers. My question is in regard to the position and height of the two side speakers in a 5.1.2 setup.

I have read several articles some state that the speakers should be placed 90-110 degrees off axis from the listening position and at a height that varies anywhere from a few inches above the listeners ears to 1-2 feet above the listeners ears, others have stated to mount the speakers on the rear wall facing forward again at heights anywhere from a few inches to 1-2 above the listeners ears. Needless to say since I am a novice this is very confusing to me.

I would appreciate some advice as to what would be the best location for the speakers and at what height. I do realize that every room is different and many factors affect the sound. I’m just looking for a starting point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My suggestion is to the side (90 degrees) or slightly behind the viewing area, but I wouldn't go as far as 110 degrees. The back wall is not the place to put them. I'd suggest having them a little above ear level, but probably not more than 1 foot.

If you want to really follow Dolby Atmos, the height speakers shouldn't just be above the mains, but overhead, such as in or surface mounted to the ceiling, at roughly a 45 degree angle in front of the viewing position. Unless you're using reflecting speakers, which are hit and miss, depending on the ceiling and other variables.

William Lang Jr

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Since I have a vaulted ceiling the use of up firing speakers for the height channels is not practical. I planned on using 2 of the book shelf speakers mounted at ceiling height and angled down toward the listener. The 1 foot above ear level seems a little more reasonable then 24" above.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks