What's new

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. :)

I have the anaglyph dvd / blu-ray. I’ve searched for 3D and couldn’t find anything. I don’t know if this is newer than my search or I just missed it.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's the first official review of the JVC DLA-RS2000 I've seen. I'm still all over the place with potential 4K projector choices but this helped a lot.

https://hometheaterreview.com/jvc-dla-rs2000-projector-reviewed/
Thanks. I’ve given up (not enough time) to keep up on new-owner 4K projector discussions and have been waiting for coherent reviews to appear.

I’m feeling deeply ambivalent about 4K upgrade. I really want to. I think the funds will be available. And I don’t care and think it’s not worth the money.

I don’t know. :) look forward to digging into it for reals this Fall.

David Lamontagne

Auditioning
Real Name
David Lamontagne
I have a question for the people here who have an NX5 or NX7. Is it possible to set up the projector so it manages picture mode and tone mapping completely automatically? The reviews I've read make reference to a lot of manual adjustment depending on whether the machine can read the HDR metadata. The reviewers are presumably also making other adjustments based on other variables I don't really understand, too.

Basically what I want to know is if I can get a good picture out of the new JVCs without futzing around with settings every time I put in a new disc. Sort of set it and forget it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I dream of retiring and having more time to watch films. Do you think “retirement” will still be a thing around 2050? :)
Shifting the topic for a sec but I LOVE this post because it is what all younger folks should be thinking. In your case, Josh, I think the answer is "definitely" because you're thinking about it and [I strongly suspect] preparing for it TODAY. Now if I could fly you in to lecture some of my nieces and nephews.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I am VERY happy with my RS2000, though I wish I had more time to watch movies these days.
I hear you, Ron, and you were on my mind when I wrote this post. Did you have the professional calibration yet? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts on how worthwhile it was.

Honestly, I'm worried about HDR performance on discs with global Metadata applied. HDR10+ or DV support would be much appreciated in the RS-2000. I don't want to spend my evenings tweaking a particular title for optimum HDR performance.

I want the best I am willing to pay for at the time I'm ready to actually pay. Maybe I'm crazy. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Shifting the topic for a sec but I LOVE this post because it is what all younger folks should be thinking. In your case, Josh, I think the answer is "definitely" because you're thinking about it and [I strongly suspect] preparing for it TODAY. Now if I could fly you in to lecture some of my nieces and nephews.

I like lecturing people - sign me up! :D

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I hear you, Ron, and you were on my mind when I wrote this post. Did you have the professional calibration yet? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts on how worthwhile it was.

Honestly, I'm worried about HDR performance on discs with global Metadata applied. HDR10+ or DV support would be much appreciated in the RS-2000. I don't want to spend my evenings tweaking a particular title for optimum HDR performance.

I want the best I am willing to pay for at the time I'm ready to actually pay. Maybe I'm crazy. :)
Of course you're crazy - you're here:huh:

But then so are we all.:P

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Gregg Loewen (Lion AV) was supposed to come out last week but my schedule is just off the charts. We couldn't arrange a mutual time so I suspect I will get him here in the next few months to do the calibration.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Your seemingly “meh” response to your $8000 projector upgrade is sobering.

Dave,

Here is the truth of the matter...

Until I retire (8 weeks) I don't have time to watch movies.

What I do have time to watch is GAME OF THRONES or BARRY (HBO) or Blu-rays that I am catching up on.

Rarely do I watch any 4k content. Just backlogged.

What I have watched so far has been met with mixed results. Sometimes the image quality doesn't look too much better than Blu-ray. Other times, particularly in close-up facial shots, I am blown away by the added detail.

None of it matches what I see on OLED, though. That technology surpasses 4k projection, something we are all very much aware of.

The biggest problem is that I am still watching on an uncalibrated projector. I can't seem to fit my schedule with that of the calibrator I was originally going to go with. If I can't get something scheduled soon I will go with someone else.

I just really hate to comment on a picture that is not properly calibrated. That isn't fair to anyone looking for an honest opinion.

Right now? Do I see an uptick in picture quality? Yes. However, it varies. It doesn't help that I have an OLED because I am always going to compare to that and you really can't with projection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks