What's new

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This evening I watched the remainder of Braveheart. Please note, I only watched the first 20 minutes earlier in the week to assess the 4k quality.

This evening's viewing affirmed to me two things...

First, and your opinion may vary, Braveheart is one of the greatest accomplishments on film. It is my favorite film of all time.

Secondly, it was well worth my hard-earned money to invest in 4k projection. That was confirmed to me tonight as I watched a film I had seen dozens of times prior, but seemed completely fresh to me in this viewing due to its picture quality.

The landscape photography looks breathtaking. The close-ups of faces look stunning. 4k resolution really brings color and detail into the picture like never before. I can finally see it. I can finally appreciate it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Interesting you brought this up.

I noticed that there's all kind of handshake issues when I start a movie that my Sony never went through.

Sometimes it clips the very start of a film.

Now I find out this is normal for JVC and cannot be corrected?

Ron,

How are you playing your movies?

The sync should only take place when the resolution or frame rate changes. Whenever I play UHD (or BD) movies from a disc from my disc player there is ZERO sync time after hitting play because the disc menu is always the same resolution and frame rate as the movie. This is on the JVC RS600.

If you are playing some sort of streaming source, then maybe the “menu” screens are a different frame rate from the movie (60 vs 24) or different resolutions? But if you are playing major studio UHD discs I don’t see why this would be happening.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Interesting you brought this up.

I noticed that there's all kind of handshake issues when I start a movie that my Sony never went through.

Sometimes it clips the very start of a film.

Now I find out this is normal for JVC and cannot be corrected?

Not normal. Not for me. And I don’t think I have any special implementation for my playback.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Not playing from a streaming source.

Never had this sync issue until I started using the JVC last week.

On AVS, I am being told this is normal with JVCs, whether you are experiencing it or not.

It was recommended I go into my Oppo menu and change the resolution to UHD 24MH.

I did that and still have sync issues that cut into the first few seconds of a film.

Not sure why at this moment. Not sure if it is fixable. I am having the projector calibrated in the next few weeks so I am certain Gregg Loewen may be able to assist in this matter.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Guys,

Not playing from a streaming source.

Never had this sync issue until I started using the JVC last week.

On AVS, I am being told this is normal with JVCs, whether you are experiencing it or not.

It was recommended I go into my Oppo menu and change the resolution to UHD 24MH.

I did that and still have sync issues that cut into the first few seconds of a film.

Not sure why at this moment. Not sure if it is fixable. I am having the projector calibrated in the next few weeks so I am certain Gregg Loewen may be able to assist in this matter.

It is normal whenever you are changing resolution or frame rate. If your menu is, for example, 1080p60 and you hit play on a movie that is 4K and/or 24p the HDMI will resync. But if your menu is the same resolution and display rate as the movie there should be no handshake resync.

I think some have their setups configured in a way that something changes between disc menu and movie playback, thus causing a new handshake resync at the start of a movie, and they think this is the way it is for everyone. Because everyone will experience this resync with source/resolution/colorspace/frame rate, etc... changes. I get them every time I put a disc in the player and it changes from the player menu to the disc menu. And again when I hit stop and leave the disc and go back to the player menu. But it doesn’t have to happen when you are starting the main movie from the disc’s main menu.

When you have disc in and are on the menu, what is the projector showing as the resolution and frame rate for the menu? And then what is it showing for the movie you play? For me, they have always been the same and there is no resync blanking. Any time I change source where there is any type of resolution change or display rate change then I absolutely will have a blanking out while it resync, but this doesn’t happen for me when playing movies because the movie menus are the same resolution and frame rate as the film.

Here are some quick pics I just took. Note: the menus display the same 4K(3840)24 resolution and frame rate as the actual movie. If I can figure out how to post video here, I can show you not a second of the studio opening logo is missed when hitting play from the menu. Because there is no resync in these cases.

The first picture of each pair is the menu and the second is the main feature.

64866434-65C1-49CE-8FA2-5A02F6835EFB.jpeg
7619BAC5-B4DA-4851-B40C-FEB1EE600178.jpeg
0B7DB480-2E0F-4529-8666-2203BCD15E4D.jpeg
9B606A86-4853-4346-96B8-049993382E32.jpeg
F9E0C01D-B393-40E2-BD80-E8EB0841B93B.jpeg
B996151A-3ABB-4613-9C34-5054B5482F6C.jpeg

Now, when I first put a disc in the player the player’s access menu is 60p. So there will be a resync and blanking when the studio disc info first starts up. But that is like the “Disney DVD” promotional stuff. The studio brand advertisements at the start of the disc. This is because it is changing from the player main menu at 60p to the disc video which is 24p. But that resync is over with once you get to the movie’s main menu. So everything should be 24p on the movie’s main menu (and that should be the same resolution as the feature). So no resynching should happen when you hit play from the menu.

Maybe there is some other difference between different setups not being accounted for? Something different that would result in a resync for some but not for others depending on settings? Anything that changes between the menu and main feature could do it. Resolution, frame rate, color space, HDR v SDR, etc... I am using the Panasonic UB820 and I do the tone mapping in the player. Maybe there is a difference if you are doing the tone mapping in the display? I’d need more time to experiment with that though to see if I can set my stuff up in a way that would trigger a handshake going from the disc’s main menu to the feature.

I’ll post back if I figure anything out with that.

Last edited:

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi there. I am looking for my first PJ.

I'm wondering what option would be best for the following.
120" screen.
Pretty dark room... not 100% used for a theater, but I specifically want movies to look their best with the lights out (good blacks).
HDR / 4k signal acceptance
Good detail in resolution

I know real 4K starts around $5,000, which is not in my budget! I'd say up to $2,500 at the most, but prefer to stay around $2,000.

I see the Epson 5040UB. I'm told the issues with the power failure are resolved... but who knows.
Optoma UHD65
JVC LX-UH1

First row will sit around 6' from the screen. So I'm thinking Seymour AV Center Stage UF for this.

Please help me figure this out!! Too much research just makes things harder!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guy,

I hear great things about the Epson projectors. If I was looking for a budget 4k PJ that would be my choice.

I hope others chime in here as well.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Thanks, Ronald. Any choice for screen material sitting that close? It has to be acoustic transparent.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I see the Epson 5040UB. I'm told the issues with the power failure are resolved... but who knows.

I have the Epson 5030, which is the previous version of that projector - the 5030 was an HD projector, whereas the 5040 does 4K through pixel shifting. HTF's own Bob Furmanek does have the 5040 and I had a chance to see it in action in his home. I was very impressed with the quality, particularly for 3D presentations.

I think you can purchase an Epson with confidence.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Ronald. Any choice for screen material sitting that close? It has to be acoustic transparent.

Can't help you there as screens are not my area of expertise.

But jumping back to Epson, I have also seen it in action and I agree with Josh that your purchase of one would not be disappointing.

Good luck with your eventual HT setup. Please keep us informed as what you buy, and especially, your initial thoughts.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like prospects are not too good for an affordable true 4K projector using a laser light source.

I was kind of holding out for something like that.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have to admit that I sort of got turned off of JVC when I bought an RS2U then found out that JVC had fucked up the colour management, then wanted 1500 bucks for a modfied DVDO processor to allow a person to fix a problem that they had caused in the first place. I got turned off of any DVDO product when they told me that my supposedly "futureproof" processor couldn't be upgraded to add a colour management system, even though it was the exact same model that JVC had modified to allow their fuck up to be fixed.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]4k resolution really brings color and detail into the picture like never before. I can finally see it. I can finally appreciate it.
Short of a couple of visits and samplings at a home theater specialty shop, I live vicariously through posts like these.
Congratulations, Ron...No doubt, 4K living is a beautiful thing.:cool:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m just reading the discussions and counting my pennies.

But I also now discussing new hardwood flooring, which might take precedence over 4K. So I enjoy the research and see what develops this year.

Last edited:

David Lamontagne

Auditioning
Real Name
David Lamontagne
So I'm also considering buying an NX5 or NX7, but I haven't been able to get an opportunity to see one in action. Does anyone know anyone or anywhere that's demoing them? Florida would be best, but frankly at this point I'd consider traveling to see one.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
We're setting up the NX7 in my personal home theater and the NX9 in our store theater demo room. Each system will have Panamorph's Paladin anamorphic lens and Panasonic's UB9000 BD player and a new Demon 11 channel Atmos audio system.

Panasonic and JVC just announced a collaboration to tone map and deliver the best possible color fidelity and color saturation on the UB9000 connected to any of JVC's 2019 projectors for streaming and BD content. We'll be demonstrating this new feature.

DigitalDawn

Agent
Real Name
Dawn Luks
Where in Florida do you live? I'm in Florida as well and have access to a couple of distributor showrooms with the latest JVC projectors in them.

David Lamontagne

Auditioning
Real Name
David Lamontagne
@DigitalDawn: I live in Orlando, but really I can drive anywhere in the state to demo the JVCs. I mean, I'd rather not drive to Pensacola or Key West, but that'd be better than buying an $8000 projector sight unseen. I appreciate the help, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks