What's new

4K looks grainy at times (1 Viewer)

Prince

Auditioning
Real Name
Diego Montero
I have a Sony 65" 4K HDR tv. I've noticed that a lot of the 4K blue rays look grainy at times. Something I never really noticed much with 1080p. Seems like 1080p looks clearer sometimes. I use Xbox one to watch movies and pass through Yamaha A1050 Av receiver. Does anyone else have similar issues? I'm thinking it could be the Xbox one. Maybe it's just not a great player. There isn't much of a selection of 4K blu ray players, that's why I stuck to Xbox. Oppo is coming out with one but that's out of my league right now. Any thoughts?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I only have seven UHD titles so far, but I have not noticed excessive grain on any of them. I am using a Sony X-800 UHD player, connected through a Denon X3300 receiver to a Vizio M70-D3 display. UHD titles I own are Lucy, Jason Bourne, John Wick, La La Land, The Shallows, Underworld and Labyrinth.

Do you have the sharpness turned up on your display? That could be introducing noise that you are interpreting as grain. I have sharpness set to zero on my Vizio, which is where I usually have it set on my displays.

BTW, Oppo's UHD player has been on the market for several months now.

Prince

Auditioning
Real Name
Diego Montero
Well the tv is fairly new and I'm still learning how to mess with it. Sharpness is the thing that came to mind and I do have it medium to high. I'll try it off to see how it goes. It's only on certain scenes but it's noticeable. I never had an issue at all with my older Samsung LCD.
But it didn't have as many features or options. The Sony colors look amazing though. I thought the oppo 4K was fairly new or barely coming out. The UDP 205 is for pre order. Maybe it's a different one.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I haven't noticed grain on them at all. I have 90 discs pretty wide sample.

The Oppo 203 has been out for awhile and is a fantastic player. If you are looking for fancy audio DACs would be the only reason to buy the 205.

Prince

Auditioning
Real Name
Diego Montero
I haven't noticed grain on them at all. I have 90 discs pretty wide sample.

The Oppo 203 has been out for awhile and is a fantastic player. If you are looking for fancy audio DACs would be the only reason to buy the 205.
I think I have the sharpness too high. It's only noticeable in uhd blu rays and not regular 1080. I'll check it out tomorrow. Good to know it's not the tv.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You might want to try this site - for the recommended starting settings for you TV. There could be some other settings that should be turned off as well.

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/

Another site which will post calibrated settings for many displays is rtings.com . I used their settings as a starting point for my Vizio M70-D3 display, and they were pretty accurate.

Regardless, you should have the sharpness either turned off or set very low for most displays. Sharpness adds noise to the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks