What's new

3 Godfathers (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
With the announced release of Ford and Wayne's Three Godfathers, may I suggest that the 1936 version with Chester Morris, Walter Brennan, and Lewis Stone be paired with it as an extra a la Gaslight. This version inspired Ford and Chester Morris makes John Wayne look like a choir boy--and that's before Wayne's redemption.

Pat H

PatH

Second Unit
With the announced release of Ford and Wayne's Three Godfathers, may I suggest that the 1936 version with Chester Morris, Walter Brennan, and Lewis Stone be paired with it as an extra a la Gaslight. This version inspired Ford and Chester Morris makes John Wayne look like a choir boy--and that's before Wayne's redemption.

Pat H

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
While I enthusiastically agree on including the 1936 version (which is actually superior to Ford's remake, IMO), I'll go one better and suggest Warner also include HELL'S HEROES (1929), which was the first talkie version of the tale, directed by the great William Wyler, starring Charles Bickford, Raymond Hatton & Fred Kohler.

Though originally a Universal production, HELL'S HEROES fell into MGM's (and later, Warner's) hands, probably due to the 1936 MGM remake. Turner Classic Movies has it as part of their library, and runs it every now and then. It's only 68 minutes long, and holds up better than most circa-1929 sound films.

A perfect 2-disc set!

Disc 1: THREE GODFATHERS (1948, 106 minutes) + the trailer & other possible extras

Disc 2: HELL'S HEROES (1929, 68 minutes) and THREE GODFATHERS (1936, 81 minutes) + possible extras

I believe this would sell better than trying to release the 1929 & 1936 films on their own sometime later on, and might increase sales of the 1948 film as well, than if it were released alone.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
While I enthusiastically agree on including the 1936 version (which is actually superior to Ford's remake, IMO), I'll go one better and suggest Warner also include HELL'S HEROES (1929), which was the first talkie version of the tale, directed by the great William Wyler, starring Charles Bickford, Raymond Hatton & Fred Kohler.

Though originally a Universal production, HELL'S HEROES fell into MGM's (and later, Warner's) hands, probably due to the 1936 MGM remake. Turner Classic Movies has it as part of their library, and runs it every now and then. It's only 68 minutes long, and holds up better than most circa-1929 sound films.

A perfect 2-disc set!

Disc 1: THREE GODFATHERS (1948, 106 minutes) + the trailer & other possible extras

Disc 2: HELL'S HEROES (1929, 68 minutes) and THREE GODFATHERS (1936, 81 minutes) + possible extras

I believe this would sell better than trying to release the 1929 & 1936 films on their own sometime later on, and might increase sales of the 1948 film as well, than if it were released alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks