What's new

3-2 Processing question (1 Viewer)

Phil Monty

Auditioning
Here is my question. I am looking at two different Sony DVD models, both are progressive scan. The $129 model has reverse 3:2 pulldown compatibility, the $89 model does not. However, the television I plan to purchase has reverse 3:2 functions. So, does this render the DVD player's 3:2 pulldown moot? Would the $89 model perform just as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

If you send a 480p signal (a/k/a "progressive scan") to a TV, on nearly all models it will bypass the TV's internal circuitry. To take advantage of the set's reverse 3:2 function, you'll have to send it a non-progressive signal.

Will the results be better using the player's 480p signal as opposed to the set's internal circuitry? Probably, but the difference may be too small to notice.

M.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree. generally the player has the better circuitry, but there are certainly exceptions.

the best thing you can do is test for yourself. get both and see which looks better to you. just make sure you can return the one you decide not to keep.

ps, if you're really bored, check out this article on progressive scan technology -- it's a good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks