What's new

$2500 to spend on HT- show me the way (1 Viewer)

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
ok, so i've posted a thread already. but, this is more direct. i have a mitsubishi 55 inch widescreen which i just recently purchased, and am willing to spend about 2500 on a new HT setup. i have no clue as to what i should buy or how to start. please someone help me out... thanks

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Peter,
Before you spend a penny you need to educate yourself first.
Start here
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=54755
THEN its time to start looking at where to spend that hard earned cash!
The worst thing that you could do is base your purchases on nothing but other peoples opinions...that includes me!
$2500 is a lot of money to spend on what other people think sounds/looks/feels/smells good. Take a look at the home theaters that some of the members have posted here and you can see that the options are endless. Spend some time driving around town and actually listen to the receivers, and speakers that everyone here rants and raves about! Some of them will sound fantastic, others will sound like crap. Don't be fooled into thinking that a great system has to cost an arm and a leg, there are a lot of "low end" products out there that can sound pretty damn good when setup and calibrated properly. Sure a $10,000 speaker package SHOULD sound better than a pair of cheapo Radio Shack speakers, but then again it depends on who's listening to them.
I think my set up sounds great, others may not. Remember that the system that you are paying for should impress you, everyone else is secondary.
Best of luck.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I'll second the "listen to other's suggestions, but only you can decide what is best for you".

With that in mind I have a pretty basic system, but it's well over your $2500 budget.

Denon 3802 receiver - 7.1 surround & 110WPC
Basic Toshiba DVD player
8 Klipsch Legends
DIY sonosub

You probably need to get out and start listening to some speakers to see what YOU like. Do some research on the various A/V receivers to see what functions matter to you. Now days DVD players are pretty inexpensive, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Might want to consider some of the reputable on-line companies like: SVS, Divas, Axiom, HTD, etc... and also maybe a DIY sub.

What are your basic goals/expectations for the system??

HTH...Mike

You should read the "Home Theater Explained" book:
http://www.htexplained.com/
It has a lot of great info; one section that might be especially useful for you is how to set up a budget.
Have fun---having $2500 to blow on a new system is a nice problem to have.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks