What's new

24: Season 2 - Hour 8 - 12/17/02 (1 Viewer)

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Pure Speculation but what if...

Jack had the flight crew secretly rig the plane with a non-harmful explosive device to simulate the plane going down. The plan being to get Nina to tell what she knows with death emminent, only to have the pilot "recover" control at the last second. He might have done this in anticipation of having to interrogate Nina and Faheen.

I know, it's a strectch, but if it comes true, you heard it here first!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm telling y'all, keep your eyes on Marie, she's the key, the one who's letting Reza take the fall. The writers have spent an inordinate amount of time/pressure on Reza to deflect the spotlight form Marie.

Anyhow, quite the episode for the end of its first act this season. Only 16 more to go!

I'm thinking Jack and Nina are the only 2 to parachute to safety off the airplace in the next hour (with only 1 parachute - imagine Jack and Nina in tight, rigid embrace because each one needs the other for all the wrong reasons).

Kim, Kim, Kim...not much more to say. Makes you wonder what the cop is going to do with that info.

That hacker dude with Kate was the same actor on the Sopranos who got whacked in season 2 or 3.

Palmer's got problems. Will they introduce the Vice President in the coming episodes?

(Note - I did change the thread title because as the season winds down, we'll know exactly how many are left, and the tension will build even more.)
I predict that Jack and Kate will become intertwined towards the 3rd act of this season. The CIA connection will become a part of the rest of the season.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I like Carlos' theory about what's going on with the plane that Jack and Nina are on. But it's a stretch. Still, it got me thinking...if you were Jack, what would you do to get Nina to talk? Assuming of course that they survive. So, if I was Jack, and considering what he did with the "head in a bag" incident, I think I'd go ahead and cut one of Nina's limbs off with a circular saw. If she stalls some more, toss the amputated leg into a woodchipper (so there's no possibility of surgical re-attachment) and go to work on the other one. She'll get to Sao Paulo alive alright, but she'll be a torso.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I finally caught up on the show yesterday, had 3 episodes taped and watched them back to back. Man, this is a such a great show, in fact I like it more than the first season.

I like that there are no obvious clues to what's going on with Warner and Reza. It really could be either one of them, or none of them. We know about as much as CTU does at this point. Great writing there.

I agree that the subplot with Kim right now is going nowhere. They really need to tighten things up there. I assume it's there to make us feel more involved in the "what if YOU knew there was a bomb" aspect, but it just isn't necessary, because we have already thought about that and processed it. We have that attachment with many other characters on the show too. Right now, it's just a pointless distraction, every time the story turns to her I get restless and want them to get back to the terrorist stuff. I hope they're going somewhere with Kim's story.

/Mike

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Nina is the baddest bitch on television. The last time I saw a woman so relentless was Diana on "V" twenty years ago.

This was definitely the best hour so far. So many things I didn't see coming. I figured that the PI was going to steal the data on the computer, rather than help her retreive it. I think the device he jacked into USB was a USB hard drive. The Autodelete may have been after a successful download. However, his being whacked along with her might indicate I'm wrong.

The plane! I can't beleive they leave us with the plane falling. How do you resolve that? I think the parachute idea is likely, but imagine parachuting out of a spiralling plane.

Palmer has problems in his administration, but I'm not willing to lay odds on who is causing them. Surely someone who has already appeared is a bad egg, but which?

Panic may be put off another hour, but not likely more than that. Los Angeles should become unworkably frantic soon.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a good samaritain. Did anyone else scream "YES" when the troubled driver shot the ring leader? I think my neighbors heard me.

I've got my 24 season 1 discs circulating to a second person at work now. Hopefully if they run a third season, all the viewers I'm trying to create will tune in. I honestly think Fox's DVD strategy with 24 won't fully pay off until year 3, but I think it will work if they give it time.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that was pretty cool. I just laughed though, because of the look on the third guy, like "holy shit, now I'm all alone? what the hell do I do now??" :)

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I kinda got the impression that it was the guy's good samaritan-ism that made the driver so "troubled". Maybe he was beginning to see that Americans are not all infidels worthy of being obliterated. Then when he saw the kids playing, that was the icing.

Jodee

Screenwriter
The PI said that he's required by law to report any terorist stuff to Homeland Security-- Kinda funny they mention Homeland Security which is a real organization instead of CTU which is the fake one.

Of course, if he is just a PI and uncovered these ties to a known terrorist, you'd have to think that CTU would have already found this out on their own.

I can't recall how CTU first got the lead. Were they tipped by the PI? I seem to recall they were just following up on all known ties to the terrorist guy. I thought the daughter was just being self-absorbed thinking she was the one who caused the interrogation.

Kim Kim Kim -- who didn't yell at the TV set every time she was whining on the phone to her dad? I loved how he just ended up hanging up on her when Nina killed that guy. I also thought it was funny how every time Jack asked Mason to take care of Kim he was like "Will do" and basically rolling his eyes at the whole situation. he had this "whatever!" look on his face.

I perhaps watch too much TV but I was laughing at a few unintentional references to other shows. When Kim told the cop about the nuke, all I could think about was Larry David saying "There's going to a terrorist attack in Los Angeles" on that Curb Your Enthusiam episode.

And when the father revealed himself as a CIA agent, I turned to my husband and laughed "I bet he actually works for SD-6!" My husband doesn't watch Alias but he still got the joke.

I love how it's all "top-secret" he works for them but he carries a friggin' ID card in his wallet.

Did anyone notice that scene with the plane, how low-budget the explosion looked? I ran it back and it looked like a bad model.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Kim Kim Kim -- who didn't yell at the TV set every time she was whining on the phone to her dad?
Whining? She's a 19-year-old girl who, despite one horrifically bad day a year ago, has in the past eight hours discovered that one of her employers has been assaulting his wife and daughter, been told that there's a nuclear bomb in the city where she lives, found the body of her other employer in the trunk of a car, and been detained for her murder! I mean, really, how many of us would doing as well as her?

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Point taken, Jason. However, I would argue that being kidnapped by two guys she was 'partying' with, having her best(?) friend killed in front of her, finding out that she'd really been kidnapped by terrorists intent on killing her dad, finding out that her mother had been raped in her place, escaping from her kidnappers, facing death at the hands of the brother of one of her original kidnappers, getting arrested and thrown in a cell as a result of a drug bust, getting re-kidnapped, almost getting killed again as a result of her car sliding down an eroded incline, finding out that her mother was pregnant when she was raped, and having her mother killed (I'm sure I'm missing more trauma here) all in one supremely bad day, would actually be worse than what she's gone through during the first 8 hours of this day. At least, I'd expect her to have the presence of mind not to blurt out, "Oh my God! He killed her!" when a cop finds Karla's body in the trunk, when the only other male around is her boyfriend.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No question it should have toughened her up a bit, and I think it did, but the other thing is that she wasn't really responsible for anyone else last time, and having to worry about Megan today adds a whole new level of stress to it.

I just think that a lot of the eye-rolling at what Kim does is unwarranted. She's a civilian, a young one at that, and she's not getting a week off every hour to consider her situation.

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Alright settle down you guys, I don't want to have to "Go-Miguel" on the next guy who starts bashing Kim. :D
Eujin: I agree that Kim should be way more hardened than she is now, and found it mind-boggling that she didn't just waltz up to the police officers approaching the hospital and get Gary's ass hauled downtown.
Then again, maybe Jack's story about Terri would help to keep these things in perspective? Could be some people just aren't made for politics or ass-kicking. After all I know plenty of people who quite regularly make awful decisions.
Couldn't have predicted a damn thing that happened this episode. It's a shame Mason didn't have a larger role, though it's great seeing Sherry and Nina with more screentime. If only there were more minutes in an hour!

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Here's another theory I'd like to propose for all you guys who find Nina so dark and ruthless:
What if Faheen was still sticking to his guns, and would not talk? What if Nina knew that he wasn't going to "give it up?" Then the best course of action would be to choose the best time - one where Jack and CTU surveillance could not hear the entire conversation - and simply kill Faheen claiming that he told her everything. When she slit his throat, and said "everything," I turned to my wife and said, "I bet she doesn't know a damn thing." She's going to string Jack and CTU along just to get out of the country, and then vanish. I realize Jack said she doesn't go anywhere until they've confirmed the location of the bomb, but consider all of her other manipulations to date. Hey, it's a possibility!
:)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jim, yeah, that definitely crossed my mind. She got rid of the only person who was more valuable to them right now than her. She might not know anything at all.

Yeah, that was definitely a goof. WOuldn't they have checked his wallet way before that and found the card?

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Jim, I'm in full agreement with your theory--check back on page 1 for one of my posts, I think I mentioned it in my theory somewhere. :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Imagine for a minute that the bomb really does exist and it does go off. Not a large bomb but big enough to take out a few blocks of LA. A few of the major characters survive and go into season 3 with a chunk of LA radiated, millions dead, a president about to be put on trial, and the country on the brink of war...

Toss in something for Jack to do having to do with avoiding war and helping the president and it sounds like a pretty cool season 3.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I love how it's all "top-secret" he works for them but he carries a friggin' ID card in his wallet.
That wasn't an ID card, it was the number for his handling agent. That is why he told them to call the number and confirm with Langley. He does not work for the CIA, he is used by them as a civilian resource, not an agent.

Big difference in having a slip of paper with just a phone number on it. That is why Tony said he appears to have a valid control number, not an ID card.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Tony did two things to verify what Bob Warner was saying.

He asked for Bob's I-3 Protocol. We, the audience, would not know I-3 from iPod, but Bob Warner replied with the story of how he was recruited. From this, we can surmise that an I-3 Protocol is jargon for a recruitment procedure. I don't think I-3 Protocol refers to the code assigned to an agent, because Jack has identified himself with agent-assigned codes before and I don't think he referred to it as an I-3 Protocol before.

The slip of paper had the control number on it, probably not a phone number, as phone numbers are easily traceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks