What's new

24 - 03/26/02 Scooter? (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Watching the 24 feed is something Morgan and I do together...and he is staying at his friends house. Hopefully...I will get some advance stuff up here this afternoon.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Wow, this show is really harsh in its portrayal of women. Kim is suffering Stockholm syndrome. Teri is the worst person in the world at escaping from kidnappers. The senator's aide is a slut who occasionally lapses into dissociative homicidal rages. The senator's wife is manipulative and power hungry. Nina is incompetent at her job (has anything gone right under her watch?). And Jamey was a suicidal traitor. The only woman who's shown any sense of control was the one who blew up the airliner.

Is there any likelihood that a woman will do anything on this show that isn't negative?

Brad

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Brad beat me to it, but again with the poor roles for women on the show. I need to pay attention to the credits, because I'm willing to put money on the fact that there are no female writers on the show.
I thought the senator's aide's sudden turn into scorned lover was uncharacteristic with her portrayal up to that point. She suddenly went from "I'll do whatever it takes to help the senator" to "I'm gonna get u sucka". Why the sudden change of heart? Of course, I scanned through most of the dialogue between her and Drazen:) I caught the "Tell me you love me" part, but why/when did she forget the whole point of being in the room with the guy again?
And Kim? Puhleeze. Can the writers come up with a more annoying combination of puppy love/Stockholm syndrome? And the previews for next week show her kissing Rick/Dan, and then getting caught up in some more stupid shit because of him?
At least Teri has an excuse this week - amnesia. Interesting twist, though - who's her doctor? A pshrink? Marriage conselor? Secret lover? Hmmmmm.
Now, back to our show.....
Interesting developments. I wish they had shown more on the safehouse debacle. Like at least the agents getting there, finding dead people, and phoning it in to HQ. Now that I think about it, in the type of neighborhood the SH was in, you would think the neighbors would have phoned in the gunshots, and CTU would have picked it up on the police scanner.
Hopefully someone in CTU will wise up and just bring Jack's family back to HQ once (if) they find them again.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed tonights show as well. In my opinion, the writers do an excellent job of keeping the viewer in suspense. The show is not all that predictable and seems to take sharp 90 degree turns quite often.

I already cannot wait for next weeks show.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Brad, is it the show that views women poorly, or you?

The senator's aide is a slut who occasionally lapses into dissociative homicidal rages.
So let me get this straight: a woman who is involved in a sexual affair with a man is a slut? I feel sorry for any girlfriends you ever had.

"Occasionally lapses..." I didn't realise that was something she had done before. I thought it was due to the stress, pressure, and betrayal, but silly me.

All of the male characters are equally flawed. The only two guys who didn't really do anything particularly wrong are the Latin guy from CTU (forgot his name) and Keith Palmer, but those are also two guys who aren't under as much presssure as, say, Teri, Jack, or Senator Palmer.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I agree, all the women are coming off a hysterical, jealous, helpless victims.

I think the Doctor that came for Teri is her rapist. Anyone else?

James Gumbart

Stunt Coordinator
Umm...she already shot and killed her rapist.
As for the women, they are being portrayed very poorly in general. Although I do like Nina; she's a quick thinker. Someone asked if she had done anything right. Well, she spotted the fake FBI agent at the hospital.
Many times, I've wished that Teri and Kim would just DIE and Jack could move on with his new life with Nina. :)
As for Elizabeth, she's more ridiculous than Kim! Thank goodness, by pure luck (which is often a sign of lackluster writing), Jack gets another chance at tracking down the other Drazen(s).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Umm...this is more about extending a strange concept of 24 consecutive 1-hour shows with plenty of suspension of disbelief thrown into the writing.
I think Terri's "Dr" friend is probably someone she was hooking up with in her rocky marital period (it'll give Jack some leverage in diffusing her anger towards Nina). But as much as Jack's been through, Terri takes the cake: spent the night with the sentinel, kidnapped, treated like crap, raped, shot her rapist, on the run with her daughter, finds out she's pregnant, finds out who was shacking up with her then-separated husband, and almost kidnapped again under plenty of gunfire, rolls a car over, almost gets her daughter killed, turns into amnesiac, and can't even recognize a former "friend/lover".
Where in the world did that knife come from? Usually the viewer gets a little bit of foreshadowing with a throwaway shot of a knife, but I didn't notice it if there was such foreshadowing.
I do think that it was plausible that the senator's aide did go schizo based on her indignation and the gall and temerity of Drazen to play the "I have fallen in love with you" card, and in that instant, she wigged out because her self respect was at ground zero. Her rage at this guy took hold of her and all she wanted at that moment in time was revenge (Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned). Sure, it's cliched, but it does give Jack something to do next hour/episode. :)
I'm really beginning to hate the stupidity of Kim. For a good chess player, she stinks at sizing up situations. The Stockholm Hostage syndrome being played out is painful to watch at times because I wished I had a TV brick to throw at my TV when Kim does the stupidest things. And why Rick? That guy is no prize. Kim isn't even fazed that he's hiding out at his girlfriend's place. Plain flat out stupid little girl.
Mason and Jack are going to have it out once Jack finds out that Terri and Kim are missing. Can't wait to see what Palmer does with the tape.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
So let me get this straight: a woman who is involved in a sexual affair with a man is a slut? I feel sorry for any girlfriends you ever had.
On the record, I fully admit to using hyperbole and unidentified sarcasm in my statements - BUT it was to emphasis my main point. (As long as you acknowledge the use of ad hominem counterarguments... :) )
The writers have a near-infinite number of options with how to steer the story. In my OPINION, they've made four really bad choices in the last two hours of 24: 1) the exploding car (they must have been laughing when they wrote that one), 2) the shock-induced amnesia (I know it's possible, but it's one of the most mocked plot devices from daytime soap operas), 3) the aide choosing to stab Drazen when all she had to do was answer the phone and walk away, and 4) Kim (does she have any friends who aren't dead or haven't kidnapped her?).
All of these plot points are either cliches or are the direct result of a bad choice made by a female character. I'm willing to grant some leeway in the portrayal of the "bad guys" as stereotypes because real "bad guys" are rarely able to organize themselves as well as depicted on the show - they have to be supervillains to give the show an evenly matched battle. But the female characters seem to collectively be inept, naive, duplicitous, or just plain stupid. All I want is one central female character who is the equivalent of Jack Bauer - can Sydney Bristow put in a guest appearance on the show? :)
Brad

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Bard, I think Nina has been the most level-headed, intelligent, and responsible person on the show. And *gasp* she's a woman.

I really like that chick stabbing the killer at the end. I'm the kind of person that constantly tries to out-guess the show. Throughout the episode, I was calling her Mrs. Red Shirt, because she seemed like one of those Star Trek characters that you know is gonna die. They got me good when she picked up the knife.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Where in the world did that knife come from? Usually the viewer gets a little bit of foreshadowing with a throwaway shot of a knife, but I didn't notice it if there was such foreshadowing.
There was a quick shot of the knife on the dresser with some other items that Drazen had laid out when he first came into the room - I believe it was when Elizabeth had distracted Drazen and was making her first attempt to plant the homing device. There was a later quick shot which showed the knife was no longer there.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
As annoying as Kim's Stockholm syndrome is, she stated that she called Rick because she feared that her mother was recaptured and he might know where to look fo the kidnappers.

I thought the guy who called Drazen's phone at the end looked like Teri's doctor/lover except he had a hat on. I didn't get a great look at the caller's clothes. They just showed the doctor at the restaurant, so it doesn't make a lot of sense. It was my initial reaction though.

Who was the girl who picked Teri up? She looked awfully familiar.

If Alexis Drazen is a covert operative, I would doubt that he would talk if he survives like Jack hopes. If he does survive and he does talk we can add that to the the short list of implausable scenarios. My guess is that Drazen dies which creates chaos again for CTU and Palmer. There was a sense of order and of a plan of action with Palmer's aide planting the bug and a hope that Drazen would lead them to the group. Now chaos rules!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The girl who picked up Terri was in Jennifer Love Hewitt's ill-fated show "Time Of Your Life" last season. She's got the instantly recognizable craggy voice, and plenty of attitude.

She could also be the voice of Royal Carribean's "Get out there" commercials.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
I won't bash the show because this was the first one that disappointed me, but I definitely got the feeling that I was watching a pseudo-soap opera last night.
Kim going back to Rick, who has a jealous girlfriend. Teri still has amnesia (or shock or whatever you want to call it), and we meet the guy who was probably having an affair with her while she and Jack were apart (or was the reason for their separation). Anyone see a problem with the pregnancy now? And then a woman who goes shizo because the guy who was using her told her that he loved her. Give me a break. Once she placed that bug in his wallet, she would have been running for the door for safety. I am all for suspension of disbelief when immersing myself in movies/shows, but sometimes they go a little too far (IMHO). I'm sure opinions differ... :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just thought of something....

Instead of having the car explode and Teri get shock enduced amnesia, why not have her stay in the car and have it roll down the hill, crash into a tree, have the daughter roll out of the car (opens the door halfway down), and then have Teri smack her head on the steering wheel? This way, she could have head trauma (causing the amnesia) and wouldn't see her daughter since she fell out of the car. The car wouldn't blow up, and everything pretty much could still go as it has been going after that event.

Just a little thought of mine.

This episode was pretty good. The action really picked up in the middle and the whole scene with Drazen was tense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks