What's new

20th Century-Fox: The Golden Age Musicals (1 Viewer)

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Betty Grable is totally under-appreciated. Few of her movies are actually on DVD. She's got a lot of attention in the archives arena, but not too much in the DVD area and absolutely none of her heyday musicals are on Blu-ray. Those cheesy, old-fashioned Technicolor delights are practically made for Blu-ray. I wish someone would get off their rocker and get them out.

I think the only Betty Grable movie on Blu-ray is HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, which is always billed under Marilyn Monroe's films when sold in today's markets.
Actually, Twilight Time released Mother Wore Tights and Pin Up Girl on Blu-ray before they went out of business. Both can now be bought at Screenarchives.com. I got MWT and it's a beautiful print.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I just added the Blu-ray Twilight Time edition of MOTHER WORE TIGHTS to my Amazon cart. When I get paid again, that's going to be the one thing I allow myself to order.

Hey DRB, both Mother Wore Tights and Pin-Up Girl are for sale right now on HamiltonBooks.com for $7.95 each. Shipping on HB is $4 regardless of how many items you order.

They also have I Wake Up Screaming, but only on DVD.

Rick

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Ever since I was a kid the 20th Century Fox musicals have been my favorites, and while I like all three ladies, my heart belongs to Betty Grable. I love and own all of her movies on DVD, DVD-R and Blu-ray. But my personal favorites are Coney Island, Moon Over Miami, Mother Wore Tights, Wabash Avenue, The Dolly Sisters and How to Marry a Millionaire. I just wish Fox would release When My Baby Smiles at Me, Tin Pan Alley and Diamond Horseshoe!

Two other Fox musicals (without this trio of stars) that I own and love are 1945's State Fair and 1952's With a Song in My Heart.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
A bit late to the game, but I've recently begun a quest to acquire all of the films released in the 20th Century Fox Marquee Musicals series.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Many Fox musicals air from time to time on the Fox Movie Channel. Just this week they showed MY GAL SAL, ON THE RIVIERA and DOLL FACE, to name three; four if you count CAN-CAN.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Considering that Fox criminally destroyed most of their Technicolor elements of those '40s musicals, the Twilight Time Blu-ray of MY GAL SAL looks quite respectable. DVD-wise, DOWN ARGENTINE WAY and MOON OVER MIAMI both look like they came from Technicolor IB prints.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
In 2006, Fox released "The Betty Grable Collection Volume 1" with 4 of her films. I read the sales were so poor, "Volume 2" and any subsequent releases were cancelled. Indeed beyond what's been mentioned, nothing else saw the light of day beyond her terrific film noir, I Wake Up Screaming....which I'd love to see on bluray. I just re-watched it and it holds up very, very well.
I WAKE UP SCREAMING is available on Blu-ray.

Here's the Amazon link:

1601408914986.png

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I just bought MOTHER WORE TIGHTS and PIN UP GIRL, the Twilight Time editions, off of Hamilton Book. I got the DVD version of I WAKE UP SCREAMING as well. For all three, the total was less than $30. That's a steal.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I happy to report that I have now acquired all of the titles released on DVD via the 20th Century Fox Marquee Musicals line and I am truly enjoying them. Now, I will focus on obtainin the great Fox musicals that were released separate from the Marquee Musicals line.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I happy to report that I have now acquired all of the titles released on DVD via the 20th Century Fox Marquee Musicals line and I am truly enjoying them. Now, I will focus on obtainin the great Fox musicals that were released separate from the Marquee Musicals line.
I am totally psyched for you.

Would you feel up to sharing your thoughts on some (if not all) the titles as you watch them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks