What's new

2023 MLB Season (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I think they should at least tweak the new rules a bit (and allow pitchers at least one more pick-off attempt per batter and probably allow a little bit more time between the pitch/batter clocks or something).

_Man_

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I think they should at least tweak the new rules a bit (and allow pitchers at least one more pick-off attempt per batter and probably allow a little bit more time between the pitch/batter clocks or something).

_Man_
My proposal, now that the pitch clock has made such a huge difference in length of games, is to do away with the 3 batter minimum rule. Have never liked that, and never will like it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the rules are just fine as they are now. I watch MLB every day and I'm totally enjoying how the games are being played now. The only thing I want for a change is the electronic strike zone as I'm tired of these umpires having inconsistent strike zones.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Holy cow! We can’t get to the electronic strike zone quickly enough. Dodgers down a run in the bottom of the ninth, got one man on. All three outs were strike outs. All third strikes were actually balls, according to the k-zone on TV. David Peralta on a 2-2 count with a pitch that just missed the outside low corner. Jason Hayward on a full count pitch that was a good 6 inches inside. And Freddy Freeman on a third strike that was a good three inches low. Don’t know what the batters are supposed to do with the ump calling pitches like that strikes.

I watched this game and this was unacceptable. Three strike three's that were balls. Keep an eye out for umpire Sean Barber. Coming to a game near you.

b4a80-16817146410283-1920.jpg
5b8f2-16817146407699-1920.jpg

6ca68-16817146408043-1920.jpg

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Dodgers fans also cheered Cody Bellinger at his first at bat this weekend and a strike was called on him not being ready in the box. If the players are going to be penalized for things like that then it's taking something from the game, from the fans, from the players. I'd take a strike, too.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dodgers fans also cheered Cody Bellinger at his first at bat this weekend and a strike was called on him not being ready in the box. If the players are going to be penalized for things like that then it's taking something from the game, from the fans, from the players. I'd take a strike, too.
That’s on the batter to be ready.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Sure it is, it's a rule now, I'm just saying we shouldn't take away nice moments to enforce a rule.
It could be worked around a bit. This kind of thing happens lots of times in baseball. For instance:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sure it is, it's a rule now, I'm just saying we shouldn't take away nice moments to enforce a rule.
It could be worked around a bit. This kind of thing happens lots of times in baseball. For instance:

The umpires and MLB have to adjust to the rules too, just like the teams and players. I've seen some umpires give certain moments some time by cleaning home plate. I'm sure other umpires will do the same.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I'd rather the umpires call outside pitches balls, too, rather than strikes.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
That’s on the batter to be ready.
By the letter of the law you are correct

In a different game with same sort of Returning Player Ovation in 1st AB the umps let it go once (as I think they should have) using a bit of judgement. 1 pitch, 1st AB, 1st game -- a bit of decency rather than the equivalent of a Bob Davidson Balk call

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the letter of the law you are correct

In a different game with same sort of Returning Player Ovation in 1st AB the umps let it go once (as I think they should have) using a bit of judgement. 1 pitch, 1st AB, 1st game -- a bit of decency rather than the equivalent of a Bob Davidson Balk call
Which I address in a later post. The freaking umpires need to use common sense and decency when they're calling games. You can do that and still enforce the rules.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
McCutchen had a huge standing O on his first game back in Pittsburgh. The ump knew what was going on and held the pitch clock until it was appropriate.
Exactly! If one umpire had the sense to do so then the others need to do the same without affecting the integrity of the game rules.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's probably just all still a bit too new for many of them umps I guess. They'll probably all do likewise soon enough I imagine... or Manfred will need to have another talk w/ them or something...

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Maybe all the umps don't keep up on all the trades and team switches and didn't realize that was supposed to be a "moment".

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... wonder if that's why they also recently decided to call up Mason Miller so soon (given their circumstance prior to this). Normally, a team/franchise in their situation would likely keep Miller down in the minors as long as possible and not start his arbitration/FA clock so soon, but 2027 will probably only be Miller's 2nd arby year w/ Super-Two status (and 2 more arby years to go), if everything goes as planned and he sticks in the majors.

I was a bit mystified they'd call him up so soon, but this probably helps make sense of that move. And I guess we can start expecting them to behave increasingly less like a tiny market club going forward... perhaps w/ clear plans to become very competitive spenders by the time they move into the new Vegas location -- they definitely need that as they really don't have nearly enough top tier young (or veteran) talent in their farm and their current roster...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks