What's new

2022 LG C2 and G2 owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Are you still going with the JVC projector or the 97" G2 OLED?

Honestly I don’t know any more. JVC restricting sails to MSRP and not having any stock took the wind out of my sales. Stewart has been awesome to work with but a good screen is adding $3k/$4k+ to the pj price. If the 97” was sub 15k I might consider that and never buy anything again. I think it’s gonna be $25k+ tho

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
42 and 48 C2 s don’t have the panels tho!
Didn't see that in the fine print... But if I were to purchase a new TV in the next year, it would be to replace my 65" in the living room should it fail (and I hope I did not jinx it by mentioning it), so I would still be getting the brighter EVO panel since I would not be going smaller.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Honestly I don’t know any more. JVC restricting sails to MSRP and not having any stock took the wind out of my sales. Stewart has been awesome to work with but a good screen is adding $3k/$4k+ to the pj price. If the 97” was sub 15k I might consider that and never buy anything again. I think it’s gonna be $25k+ tho
What still concerns me with OLED is the life expectancy of those panels. From what I've been reading, it is still lower than a microLED, so chances are slim that this would be the last display one would ever purchase at our age. My father just replaced his 10 year old 55" 1080p Panasonic plasma with a 65" 4K Sony OLED, but he's in his 80s so for him this is probably his last major TV purchase. If he has to replace it after his 5-year extended warranty expires, he will probably go for something less expensive (but then again, we may have a better and less expensive technology by then). He was extremely grateful that I was able to visit for the holidays this year, as I was able to tweak the settings on his OLED and better calibrate the speaker settings on his newer Denon receiver, both of which he purchased in the last year.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah I don’t calculate those kinds of stats into my choices any more which I’m sure makes me an elitist bastard. There’s no reason an OLED should last fewer than 10 years tho. The knuckleheads who keep screaming about burn in don’t know wtf they are talking about, burn in hasn’t been an issue for years unless you are running broadcast TV on the same channel for literally years at a time and even the. It can be ameliorated.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yeah I don’t calculate those kinds of stats into my choices any more which I’m sure makes me an elitist bastard. There’s no reason an OLED should last fewer than 10 years tho. The knuckleheads who keep screaming about burn in don’t know wtf they are talking about, burn in hasn’t been an issue for years unless you are running broadcast TV on the same channel for literally years at a time and even the. It can be ameliorated.
True, plus LG has built-in a panel scrubber (I think that's the term they use) that runs in the background after four hours of use.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What still concerns me with OLED is the life expectancy of those panels. From what I've been reading, it is still lower than a microLED, so chances are slim that this would be the last display one would ever purchase at our age. My father just replaced his 10 year old 55" 1080p Panasonic plasma with a 65" 4K Sony OLED, but he's in his 80s so for him this is probably his last major TV purchase. If he has to replace it after his 5-year extended warranty expires, he will probably go for something less expensive (but then again, we may have a better and less expensive technology by then). He was extremely grateful that I was able to visit for the holidays this year, as I was able to tweak the settings on his OLED and better calibrate the speaker settings on his newer Denon receiver, both of which he purchased in the last year.
The boards will fail in OLED sets before the panel does. With the constant planned obsolescence of TVs only rapidly increasing I doubt most people will hold on to a TV set for more than 10 years. An 8 year life cycle is probably a more accurate time frame.

I think I have replaced my sets about every three years thanks to manufacturer's planned obsolescence; although, the obscene price I paid for my G1 set is most likely going to keep me from replacing it any time soon.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Just built my coming soon webpage for LG's G2 Gallery Series OLED TVs.

LG-2022-G2-9722-4222-rev.3-PNG.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Does the G2 have an off board connector box? How far away can that be routed?

Edit: never mind. I see that starting with the G1 that all connectors are now on board and no external boxes are required. So for new G series it would simply be a matter of hiding the cables in a cut out recess box behind it for a super clean install. Sweet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks