What's new

2022-2023 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I can't answer if a team improved with their new QB until after free agency and the draft is over with. The entire roster is still in flux.

That's true but on the Jets, Saints, and Raiders I'm not sure how much they can improve via the draft and free agency. Rodgers did give the Jets a free agency shopping list. Not sure if that is a threat that he won't play unless they get those players but I would say if you want to hand them a list you should be willing to redo your contract to give them more money to shop. Somehow, I don't see Aaron doing that for them.

The Giants getting Waller seems a nice move. They appear to feel they can get to a Super Bowl with Daniel Jones. It really looks like Daboll is going to roll with him the next two seasons at least. He seems to like him. Adding Waller probably makes Barkley and Jones better by default.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

The word has been that Rodgers had agreed to play for the Jets last week but there were details to be worked out. The Packers GM basically announced they were done with Aaron over the weekend. So, the odd part is, I thought they worked out the deal to send Rodgers to the Jets first but now Rodgers is saying he is waiting for the Packers and Jets to work out the trade. Plus the compensation was said to be a 2nd this year and conditional 3rd next year if Rodgers also played in 2024. Now there are these weird rumors that the Packers changed the deal and now want two firsts at a minimum. The rumor is the Packers are claiming they should get at the least what the Lions got from the Rams for Stafford. I don't know if any of that is true but if it is, the Jets should tell the Packers they can keep him if that is what they want.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The word has been that Rodgers had agreed to play for the Jets last week but there were details to be worked out. The Packers GM basically announced they were done with Aaron over the weekend. So, the odd part is, I thought they worked out the deal to send Rodgers to the Jets first but now Rodgers is saying he is waiting for the Packers and Jets to work out the trade. Plus the compensation was said to be a 2nd this year and conditional 3rd next year if Rodgers also played in 2024. Now there are these weird rumors that the Packers changed the deal and now want two firsts at a minimum. The rumor is the Packers are claiming they should get at the least what the Lions got from the Rams for Stafford. I don't know if any of that is true but if it is, the Jets should tell the Packers they can keep him if that is what they want.
No team is going to give 2 first round picks for Aaron. Packers had better return from la la land.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Another piece of NFL history has left us- Vikings coach Bud Grant has passed away. 🙁

Rest In Peace, Coach Grant.

1678948108327.png

1678948139990.png

1678948243220.png

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
No team is going to give 2 first round picks for Aaron. Packers had better return from la la land.

Well, being that the only team interested in Rodgers is the Jets, that is likely true. I think the theory was that the Jets have gone all in on Rodgers so if they don't get him now they are screwed. So, the Packers thought they could milk them for more. However, being that the whole world knows the Packers want to be rid of Aaron and the fact he is 39 and constantly indicating he may walk away from football at any moment and that he never threw for 300 yards in a game last season...well...that decreases his trade value considerably. Stafford wanted to play, he wanted a shot to get to a Super Bowl. Aaron has only talked about winning another MVP...an award for him, not his team.

I see no reason why the Packers should get any first round picks for him. He is a guy that seems only semi committed to football at this stage and quite possibly, could walk out on the Jets during the 2023 season. So, a second round pick seems right to me with the third round pick next year only being part of the deal IF Rodgers actually plays in 2024.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Schefter rightly pointed out that when the Jets made the deal to get Favre, they only agreed to give up a 4th round pick that could slide up to a third or second IF Favre met some performance requirements. That was similar to this in that both Favre and Rodgers were doing the "I might retire." thing and in both cases the Packers were done with dealing with the player.

So, if I am the Packers, and the rumors now are they backed off the two first rounders, getting a second and conditional third seems great. You are rid of Rodgers, you send him to the Jets out of conference, he has a high potential to fail there making you look good for trading him, and you get the Jets to take on as much of his salary as you can. That's a win for the Packers.

The Jets get the headache of dealing with Rodgers, if they keep Wilson, he gets to learn how to be an epic pain in the ass from one of the league's best at it, and they still need to figure out how to challenge the Bills, the best team in their division with the best QB in their division. Have fun with that Jets!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have this feeling right now that Rodgers with the Jets will be a car crash potentially at the level of Russell Wilson in Denver. There is a bunch of noise now that the Packers are trying to get more from the Jets than a second and third round pick. Personally, I would not give them more than that because I think Rodgers will walk away from the Jets faster than he would walk from the Packers so, I just would not trust the guy. Also, I think the trade should hinge more on how much of Rodger's salary the Jets pick-up. I can't see Rodgers making the Jets better than the Bills or even Dolphins. So, I kind of think the Jets at best finish third in the division even with Aaron. He'll sell tickets but I doubt he delivers much more than that.

Carr has a chance to win the NFC South. Not much going on there in terms of QBs. The Bucs just signed Mayfield, I assume to compete with Trask, but the media is reporting it like Baker is being handed the keys. Brady did little with that Tampa team last season, they have been dumping players, I don't see Baker making them better. The Falcons don't seem to have an answer at QB either, Desmond Ridder, and the Panthers are going to draft a guy. Sam Darnold was sent packing to be the third wheel for the 49ers. The Panthers appear to be going to draft either C.J. Stroud or Anthony Richardson (a sort of clone of Cam Newton). Those two came out of the combine impressing everyone. I think they will take Stroud but Richardson's stock skyrocketed after his combine performance. So, my thinking is New Orleans should be favored to win the South with Carr.

Jimmy joins a Raiders team with a lot of holes and they seem to be making more. Also, Adams seemed fairly upset that they brought in Garoppolo over Rodgers. The question of can he stay healthy is obviously huge but even if he does, can he win more games with the roster they have? I think he probably can execute the offense better than Carr. Hell, even Derek's brother thinks Jimmy can run that offense better than Carr did. However, I think the Chiefs and Chargers are better teams with better QBs by far. Plus I don't know what Payton will bring to the table for the Broncos, he may be tanking this year, but he could add to the Raiders headaches. Jimmy's contract with the Raiders apparently makes it really easy for them to get rid of him after one season. So, I am kind of looking at the Raiders to battle the Broncos for last in the division.
Looks like you’re predicting Aaron’s level of play on the field eroding quickly, which will be of no help to the Jets. Easy to predict Aaron will have a prickly and contentious relationship with the NYC media.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Since the musical chairs game is nearing the end with QBs, it looks more and more like Lamar Jackson stays put with the Ravens. Interesting to see if there will be an agreed upon extension.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
New scuttlebutt about the Jets- supposedly their backup plan to get a starting QB, if a deal isn’t made for Rodgers, is Rams QB Matthew Stafford. I don’t know if this is BS, but if the Jets want to land Aaron, they would call the Packers, and tell them “we’re going to give xyz to the Rams for their QB”. The Rodgers deal would quickly get done- I seriously doubt the Packers want to be stuck with Aaron at this point.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So an interesting bit of news on Lamar Jackson, he has told the Ravens he wants to be traded, no surprise there, and he has leaked the team he most wants to play for, the Patriots. Not sure that is going to happen. As I understand it, the Krafts have put their foot down about Mac Jones getting this upcoming season to prove himself and that they won't consider moving him until at least 2024 if he shows no improvement in 2023.

It is looking like the Ravens are not going to going to get Jackson back for 2023. Dealing him could be delayed until the season begins and a team has a QB go down, gets desperate, and so pulls the trigger on a Jackson trade. This is how the Jets were planning on getting rid of Wilson as well. Rather than show they are desperate to get rid of him, wait until another team is desperate for a QB.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Patriots seem to have indicated no interest in Jackson:

It’s not a surprise, but it wasn’t previously known with any degree of certainty. Owner Robert Kraft said that Meek Mill texted him recently to say Jackson is interested in the Patriots. Kraft deferred the decision to coach Bill Belichick, who refused to address Jackson because he’s currently on another team. (He isn’t, technically; he’s unsigned.)

But Kraft also spoke this week about the importance of draft picks. Beyond the financial expectations for a Jackson contract, the Patriots would be unlikely to give up significant draft capital to get Jackson. Those picks become young, cheap players who can become part of the nucleus of the team.

So while Jackson is clearly better than Mac Jones, the total cost to get the 2019 MVP makes him not an option. (profootballtalk.com)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So an interesting bit of news on Lamar Jackson, he has told the Ravens he wants to be traded, no surprise there, and he has leaked the team he most wants to play for, the Patriots. Not sure that is going to happen. As I understand it, the Krafts have put their foot down about Mac Jones getting this upcoming season to prove himself and that they won't consider moving him until at least 2024 if he shows no improvement in 2023.

It is looking like the Ravens are not going to going to get Jackson back for 2023. Dealing him could be delayed until the season begins and a team has a QB go down, gets desperate, and so pulls the trigger on a Jackson trade. This is how the Jets were planning on getting rid of Wilson as well. Rather than show they are desperate to get rid of him, wait until another team is desperate for a QB.
So you think Lamar sits, instead of playing out the $32 million tag? Sure seems risky to leave that money behind, and I don’t think there are many teams even remotely interested in him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So you think Lamar sits, instead of playing out the $32 million tag? Sure seems risky to leave that money behind, and I don’t think there are many teams even remotely interested in him.
I think not having an agent is hurting him in these negotiations.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Teams have an interest in him, they don't have an interest in giving him a fully guaranteed contract for $250-275 million. Also the compensation to the Ravens, according to what I am reading, is a stumbling block for many teams. So, the Ravens basically put him right where they wanted him, which is on the open market but in a way where nobody wants to make an offer.

I think he is too good a QB to end up sitting in a league that needs QBs badly. I do think his asking price is too high and I don't think anybody should guarantee more than three years of his contract, not because he is not good but because due to his style of play and injury history it is too high a risk. The Watson deal in Cleveland was just stupid and should not be the new standard in contracts, but I fully understand if you are a player, you want that to be the standard.

If he sits out it will be for the same reason he almost sat out last season, which is that if he plays on a 1 year deal and gets injured that will effect the money he gets offered on a multi-year deal later. He is trying to get the big multi-year deal now, really he should have got it prior to last season but they could not come to terms then either.

The Patriots could sign him, they have the ability, but they never paid Tom Brady like that and so they are not going to give Jackson that kind of money. Plus, as I said, I think they are giving 2023 to Mac Jones to see what he can do. Only certain teams would really go after Jackson so, I think his options are limited. The Falcons were a good potential spot for him but it looks like, at the moment, they are out.

They don't have to move him right away. They can wait until the season begins and if someone loses a QB that may open up a deal for him. Like if Tua gets another concussion early in the season, I can see the Dolphins trying to make a move. Bottom line right now, if we get to the draft and Lamar is still just sitting there, the landscape for him totally changes. So, then he does have to start thinking about if he wants to sit out this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks