What's new

2021 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess the Spankees... ;) Yeah, I'm calling them that as a term of endearment, not actually a hater... though my fondness for them have waned somewhat over the years... and I'm more a fan of the game (and good competition) than of any one specific team nowadays...

_Man_
I hate that term so I won't be discussing them any further with you. I'm too old for that shit!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I hate that term so I won't be discussing them any further with you. I'm too old for that shit!
Do you think Boone is in trouble, or do you think he should be in trouble? I was told by two different people that the Yanks
look like a bunch of tin men- no heart.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
He should be fired given the Yankees' two late inning meltdowns in four days vs. the Red Sox. Pitching changes/decisions have been dire, and the bullpen has just handed the game to the Sox when both were well in-hand for the Yankees into the final innings.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Frankly, Hal Steinbrenner needs to reset his entire organization by firing his front office team and bringing in people from outside the organization with a new set of eyes and a different baseball perspective. Cashman has been the GM for 24 years, it's time for a different direction.

As to Boone, he's not a good manager, but it's not all of his fault which is why I think it's time for the Yankees to revamped their entire baseball operations team. It was a good run, but it's time to turn the page. With that said, I'm not confident that Hal Steinbrenner has the stones to make that necessary decision this coming off-season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I just texted one of my siblings to see if they're alright after this weekend.: He lives up in Nantucket so he's surrounded by Red Sox fans. He's taking this season much harder than I am because my fandom towards my sports teams has lessen quite a bit since I retired and now that I'm in my senior years with a new perspective on life. It's a good thing too because overall, the teams I root for kind of stink with the Yankees being the best of the lot.:laugh: Two of those Yankee losses this weekend might have given me a stroke, but instead now I just shrug my shoulders and laugh at the bullpen ineptness.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Frankly, Hal Steinbrenner needs to reset his entire organization by firing his front office team and bringing in people from outside the organization with a new set of eyes and a different baseball perspective. Cashman has been the GM for 24 years, it's time for a different direction.

As to Boone, he's not a good manager, but it's not all of his fault which is why I think it's time for the Yankees to revamped their entire baseball operations team. It was a good run, but it's time to turn the page. With that said, I'm not confident that Hal Steinbrenner has the stones to make that necessary decision this coming off-season.
God, Cashman just made one horrible trade tonight as he's desperately trying to save his job.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You mean the Joey Gallo trade? What's so horrible about that???

_Man_
The first reports were saying six prospects to Texas including one of my favorite prospects that I've been following in the Yankees minor league system. Apparently, that prospect and another are not going to Texas. Initially, I thought it was an overpay by the Yankees.

Secondly, Gallo is a strikeout machine like Judge and Stanton except he does it from the left side with a lower BA. Cashman is in love with launch angles and power, but the team needs more "good" hitters. I want power guys that are have the "hit" tool which Gallo isn't based on his career low BA. Judge has that "hit" tool despite his strikeouts. At times, so does Stanton. The one thing Gallo has going for him besides his power is the ability to draw walks.

Frankly, I'm not feeling this Yankee team this baseball season and would've preferred they didn't make any trades to add on players. I rather they sell off some players. As you can see, I've already written off the 2021 season. Cashman hasn't, as he is definitely in the survival mode. I'm not sure that's in the best interest of the Yankees long-term, but we'll see what happens going forward.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems like a good trade for them, if the goal is to contend, which is usually the case for them. And they really could use a good lefty slugger who won't hurt them on defensive.

Of course, ideally, they would get someone who didn't K quite so much (though looks like Gallo has substantially improved on his K rate despite still being over 30%... NVM the substantial hike in BB rate too... this despite the league K rate rising), but there's no ideal. And given that they're still managing to hang in the race despite all that's gone wrong, seems like a very worthy attempt me thinks -- it probably doesn't even push them above the luxury tax threshold from what I'm reading.

They also picked up a decent lefty RP, which they could always use -- yeah, his ERA looks bad right now, but the underlying metrics suggest he's actually much better than that and should be very useful to them me thinks.

I like this trade for them...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Also, Gallo isn't the kind of slugger who hits into lots of GIDPs between his good foot speed (and general baserunning) and his extreme-ish 3-true-outcomes approach. That's something you can't often say about sluggers who don't K as much (or probably even those who do)...

FWIW, I just checked, and he's only hit into 9 GIDPs for his entire(!) 568-game MLB career so far... whereas someone like Miguel Cabrera averaged 20-plus even during his best years, including as high as 28 when he won an MVP in 2012...

And on D, Gallo will actually help the Yanks as he can be moved between either corner outfield and 1B... and possibly even spell 3B in a pinch...

_Man_

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Woah! Some big trades today, especially for dem Dodgers continuing to do their thing at midseason, landing both Scherzer and T Turner...

The Yanks also add Rizzo, which (along w/ Gallo) should help address their big weakness on offense some more, especially as another lefty slugger they've long coveted though he's having a bit of a down season so far, but he seems improving lately and will probably benefit quite a bit from that short porch in the Bronx -- and he doesn't K that much, which should make Crawdaddy happier... :cool:

Yeah, woulda been nice if the Yanks could land an ace SP like Scherzer (or a star SS like Turner), but that just wasn't in the cards for them at all... and the Dodgers did have to pay a lot (both in prospects and $$$ over the CBT threshold) in that trade...

_Man_

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Woah! Some big trades today, especially for dem Dodgers continuing to do their thing at midseason, landing both Scherzer and T Turner... [...] ... and the Dodgers did have to pay a lot (both in prospects and $$$ over the CBT threshold) in that trade...
_Man_

With so many fine players out, just to name a few: Betts, Seagar, Lux, Kershaw, Bauer, May, Joe Kelly, Knebel, Rios...they had to do something...heck, they even traded for a player on the IL! What? (Danny Duffy, Royals.) And Bellinger's been under-performing (under-statement), Price is wobbly. Muncy isn't sleeping-with a new baby Muncy... Pollock and Taylor have been keeping the Dodgers head barely above water. (With bear hugs from Pujols.) And Turner is steady, as always. (Hey, now we have two Turners. JT & TT. Anyway... If these new acquisitions pan out we'll be better and if the injured are healed we'll be better yet. We shall see. People not following the team day by day see the Dodgers with a great record and holding their own. Fans see a battered ship that needs the help. Is this it?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And my Cubs are done. The season is essentially over.

Goodbye to
Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Javier Baez
Craig Kimbrel
Andrew Chafin
Ryan Tepera
Trevor Williams
Jake Marasnick
Eric Sogard
Joc Pederson

I think tonight's game will be "Mr Little-League Goes To Washington"

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And my Cubs are done. The season is essentially over.

Goodbye to
Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Javier Baez
Craig Kimbrel
Andrew Chafin
Ryan Tepera
Trevor Williams
Eric Sogard
Joc Pederson

I think tonight's game will be "Mr Little-League Goes To Washington"
I don't know why Cubs fans put up with that crap. That would never fly in NYC.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems pretty inexcusable that the Cubs do that (again, especially so soon) since they're essentially a big market franchise in a small-ish market division. Even though they probably have a significantly bigger market than St Louis, you don't see the Cardinals pulling this kind of thing and remain perennially very competitive. Neither the Brewers nor the Reds do that either despite also having very substantially smaller markets.

Theo Epstein probably (along w/ Cubs ownership) deserves much of the blame for this me thinks even though he was already gone during the last offseason -- the guy probably saw the writing on the wall and quit before it/much can all be obviously blamed on him... much like his prior tenure running the Red Sox. He (and maybe a few others like him) probably gives the whole Moneyball thing a very bad name me thinks...

_Man_

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This time, I'm not blaming Theo Epstein. This is an ownership issue! The powers that be throughout MLB needs to fix it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This time, I'm not blaming Theo Epstein. This is an ownership issue! The powers that be throughout MLB needs to fix it.
Seems that a salary cap and floor would fix a lot of the competitive balance issues, and this nonsense of getting rid of all a team’s good players when the mood hits ownership. Unfortunately the MLBPA would never allow this, and the league/owners won’t butt heads with the union.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks