What's new

2021 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just when you think you've seen just about everything, I think the Yankees just set a MLB record in tonight's game with Blown Saves in 4 consecutive innings and may have a chance for a 5th depending who pitches next. I haven't seen any of the stats gurus confirm it, but it's actually rather difficult to come up with the scenario since involves the Visiting Team taking the lead in the top of each inning (but not too big a lead), a different pitcher giving up the lead in the bottom of each inning but only enough to tie the game from the 9th forward.

I found one other instance on 4 BS in game (95 Astros vs Cubs), but those weren't consecutive innings.

Edit: Yankees take a 3 run lead in the Top 11th on one of the nastiest 2out bases loaded bad hop grounders I've ever seen -- went from a inning ending grounder to a smash of the left cheek/shoulder of the SS scoring 2 runs (at least initially it appeared to get him in the face). I thought it hit him flush since he went down immediately and lay almost motionless for a bit, but luckily it appeared to be a glancing blow and the young kid stayed in the game and go another Grounder on the next play to end the inning.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just when you think you've seen just about everything, I think the Yankees just set a MLB record in tonight's game with Blown Saves in 4 consecutive innings and may have a chance for a 5th depending who pitches next. I haven't seen any of the stats gurus confirm it, but it's actually rather difficult to come up with the scenario since involves the Visiting Team taking the lead in the top of each inning (but not too big a lead), a different pitcher giving up the lead in the bottom of each inning but only enough to tie the game from the 9th forward.

I found one other instance on 4 BS in game (95 Astros vs Cubs), but those weren't consecutive innings.

Edit: Yankees take a 3 run lead in the Top 11th on one of the nastiest 2out bases loaded bad hop grounders I've ever seen -- went from a inning ending grounder to a smash of the left cheek/shoulder of the SS scoring 2 runs (at least initially it appeared to get him in the face). I thought it hit him flush since he went down immediately and lay almost motionless for a bit, but luckily it appeared to be a glancing blow and the young kid stayed in the game and go another Grounder on the next play to end the inning.
Thank God, I slept through that game so now I'll just watch certain portions of that recorded game.:) IMO, it's not the Yankees year as they have too many underperforming players and health issues to be a serious contending team. Unfortunately, Hal Steinbrenner won't fire Cashman so the same thing will happen again next season too.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thank God, I slept through that game so now I'll just watch certain portions of that recorded game.:) IMO, it's not the Yankees year as they have too many underperforming players and health issues to be a serious contending team. Unfortunately, Hal Steinbrenner won't fire Cashman so the same thing will happen again next season too.

It was actually a pretty interesting game with a ton of unique plays -- sorry I didn't spoiler the results. I'm out of the habit for regular season games though do remember for Playoffs.

As bad as it has looked at times, they have just so much talent if they can just get half of it functioning at one time they'd scare the daylights out of me in a playoff series if they can just find a way to sneak in the bottom door. With the Red Sox recent collapse it's not even a hard thing to figure out how they could do it and I think the Sox are putting way too much in the way of expectations that Chris Sale is going to come in and save the season. At this point Yankees and Jays could easily replace the A's and Red Sox as WC teams.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Here's an MLB article about that game you're discussing:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Field of dreams game was amazing to watch. Go white Sox!

Mets won a doubleheader today too. Hope they can play the Dodgers well this weekend.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
The Field of Dreams game was fantastic, Well done Iowa.
White Sox 9, Yankees 8.

FieldDreams.jpg

FieldOfDreamsGame.jpg

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SD - Diamondbacks game alert for anyone with access to the game. Going to the 9th inning -- might be interesting

Figured everyone has heard or watched by now so I'll remove the spoilers since there's a lot of stupid fun trivia here, but just in case I put some spaces in case you still don't want to know

No Hitter for D-Backs pitcher in his 1st MLB start Tyler Gilbert 95 pitches to start the inning -- and 3 walks (all to Tommy Pham) so not perfect and only 3K's to make it a bit more unusual these days

Grisham -- Strikes out
PH Kim -- Called 3rd Strike
Pham -- lines out to CF on 1st pitch

No hitter --102 pitches 27 yo rookie, 3rd D-Backs official no hitter. 4th game this year, 1st start
He was picked up in the Minor League Rule 5 Draft
Dad in the stands going crazy -- think I'll cry a little

3rd pitcher to throw no hitter in MLB debut -- Ted Breitenstein 1891, Bumpus Jones 1892, and last done Bobo Holloman 1953 - so not much on the historical peak early scale. 1891 and 1892, the pitcher's area (not even a mound yet, but like a softball 'box') was still at 50-55 feet from home plate -- in 1893 is was moved to the current 60-6

22yo Ted Breitenstein did it for the St Louis Browns with Charles Comiskey as Manager -- the last day of the season which was also the last season for the American Association before it was absorbed into the NL (and the Browns were later renamed Cardinals) so what a way for the League to go out. Breitenstein later pitched several years with the Reds after leaving the Browns and eventually ended his career as a Cardinal with 160 career wins vs 170 Losses so at least a decent career.

22yo Bumpus Jones did it for the Cincinnati Reds in his only start and his only game played in 1892. Jones had a very short career pitching only the one game in 1892 and 7 more games in 1893 before disappearing.

30 yo Bobo Holloman did it for the abysmally bad St Louis Browns -- oddly the last year of the Browns before they moved and became the Orioles in 1954. Holloman did it in his only year in the majors and started 10 games total. This St Louis Browns team started as a Charter Member of the AL in 1901 as the Milwaukee Brewers before moving the St Louis in 1902

1st D-Backs pitcher to throw No Hitter at Chase Field. Previous D-backs no hitters by Randy Johnson perfect game in 2004 and Edwin Jackson in 2010 so that's a bit better company. They're still not going to count the 7 inning NoHitter by Dbacks Bumgarner against Atlanta at Chase Field so I'll give it a bit of a semi-asterisk

8th this year in MLB -- think that's a record and 1st since the sticky stuff ban

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Game Alert --

CLEVELAND Vs Detroit Top 8th -- Spoiler tags removed

Triston McKenzie for the Indians with a perfect game through 7
Just turned 24yo with a very high upside -- 85 pitches, 10K
Max pitch count for the year 95

Not as many fun facts as last night, but this seems to be the 5th or 6th game in the last 3 dyas that had a no hitter
through 7.

Foul Out
Ground out
Single on 2-1 pitch with 2 outs and on pitch #100
Strikeout to finish the 8th.

Cleveland scored 6 in the 2nd and 5 in the 3rd so game has been in control pretty much all the way
11-0 going to the 9th

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Tim, I am going to be the biggest Mets fan this month, from today-18th and August 24th-26th. I hope Jacob DeGrom and Noah Syndergaard and Javier Baez and Francisco Lindor, and even Drew Smith, Mark Vientos, Jose Martinez and Luis Guillorme make miraculous recoveries. Win all six of those games!
:cheers:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Tim, I am going to be the biggest Mets fan this month, from today-18th and August 24th-26th. I hope Jacob DeGrom and Noah Syndergaard and Javier Baez and Francisco Lindor, and even Drew Smith, Mark Vientos, Jose Martinez and Luis Guillorme make miraculous recoveries. Win all six of those games!
:cheers:

Awesome!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Went to the Dodgers/Pirates game last night at Dodger Stadium and had a great time. Hadn't been to a game since 2019 and it was great to be back! Was sold out.

One COVID protocol is to wear your masks everywhere in the stadium except in your ticketed seats while "actively eating or drinking." On the video screens they have someone telling you that you can get a COVID shot if you haven't had one right there at the stadium. Right then if you want to. And if you do, the first 500 (!) people get two free tickets to an upcoming Dodger game. I wanted to get another shot just for the free tickets.

The Dodgers City Connect Uniforms have been unveiled today, the 7th and final team to have them this season. The Dodgers, or Los Dodgers uniforms are much the same as their BP jerseys except for all blue pants. I haven't really been impressed with any of the City Connect uniforms. Dodger players in all blue jerseys and pants doesn't sound so good to me, though.

In my mind I keep seeing the MLB players reacting to having to wear these different uniform designs on occasion like Ralphie having to put on the bunny suit.

It also reminds me of a Lily Tomlin line in one of her stage shows. "I worry that the person who thought up Muzak might be thinking up something else."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks