What's new

2021 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seems that a salary cap and floor would fix a lot of the competitive balance issues, and this nonsense of getting rid of all a team’s good players when the mood hits ownership. Unfortunately the MLBPA would never allow this, and the league/owners won’t butt heads with the union.
It's not just the MLBPA as the owners would never agree with a floor. IMO, I think salary caps has hurt sports like the NFL, NBA and NHL.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
...and this nonsense of getting rid of all a team’s good players when the mood hits ownership

It's usually about getting what you can when players will be/become Free Agents. Isn't it? When players become free agents, they generally (always) want tons more money, and the teams they're with don't want to pay it. Isn't that what's up with the Cubs this year?

Cubs president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer said the Cubs had extension talks with each of the team's upcoming free agents -- Bryant included -- but were too far apart in negotiations.
"These are guys we have grown to really care for and their families, so that part is really difficult," Hoyer said. "But I have to say, we made offers to everyone that I believe will stand up exceptionally well. We weren't able to reach deals. Does that frustrate me? It does. But I have to be honest, I know we put our best foot forward. I'm proud of the offers we made."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They're likely already making big money, and they're not competitive as a team. Not sure what else you're supposed to do unless you can identify specifically which players are the dead wood? May as well blow it up and start over if the individual parts are worth more than the group/team.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This time, I'm not blaming Theo Epstein. This is an ownership issue! The powers that be throughout MLB needs to fix it.

Will have to disagree there.

It was Epstein's job -- and he got paid handsomely for it. It's not like the Cubs weren't actually outspending their division rivals by fair amounts afterall (though they probably should be able to do a bit more), but the results were not consistent enough nor did he leave the team in good shape to continue or build upon... much like his tenure w/ the Red Sox before. You can't just wait til the final year of all your FA-to-be star players to get things done and blow up the payroll (to Dodgers level)... and then have older versions of a core that has proven inconsistent...

I'm not blaming it all on him of course, but he deserves substantial blame nonetheless.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's usually about getting what you can when players will be/become Free Agents. Isn't it? When players become free agents, they generally (always) want tons more money, and the teams they're with don't want to pay it. Isn't that what's up with the Cubs this year?

Cubs president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer said the Cubs had extension talks with each of the team's upcoming free agents -- Bryant included -- but were too far apart in negotiations.
"These are guys we have grown to really care for and their families, so that part is really difficult," Hoyer said. "But I have to say, we made offers to everyone that I believe will stand up exceptionally well. We weren't able to reach deals. Does that frustrate me? It does. But I have to be honest, I know we put our best foot forward. I'm proud of the offers we made."
They're likely already making big money, and they're not competitive as a team. Not sure what else you're supposed to do unless you can identify specifically which players are the dead wood? May as well blow it up and start over if the individual parts are worth more than the group/team.

It's partly that as well... though IMHO, management should've done better so it doesn't come to this for a team that can (and has) easily outspend all their division rivals.

I'm not crazy about Jed Hoyer either. He's probably a bit too much like Epstein... though Hoyer's hands are basically already tied by the time he took over (in this case). They essentially all wanna be the next Billy Beane, but few ever actually comes close...

_Man_

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

One of the all-time great players for the Astros. I had the pleasure of attending some of the games in which he started and he was something else. Part of a great pitching lineup that featured Dierker, Ryan, and Niekro.

R.I.P. Mr. Richard.

- Walter.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Lots of Covid problems with the Yankees lately.

And the FIeld of Dreams game is coming up this Thursday. I'm quite interested in that; you?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lots of Covid problems with the Yankees lately.

And the FIeld of Dreams game is coming up this Thursday. I'm quite interested in that; you?
This is the third outbreak this season with the Yankees. Something is wrong with that organization.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This is the third outbreak this season with the Yankees. Something is wrong with that organization.
This may be a naive question- is the league mandating all employees get vaccinated, or is it up to the team, or does neither the league nor the teams have the authority to do this?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
All the prior Yankees' players that have been infected are fully vaccinated, I believe. I'm not sure about Rizzo.

The problem seems to be they're not taking any basic care to shield themselves from picking up the virus, likely when they're on their private time. The vaccine is not a bulletproof shield and recent evidence shows vaccinated people can still become infected and spread the virus, though they're unlikely to experience the serious symptoms and complications now affecting the unvaccinated.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As I noted elsewhere, testing positive is not the same as actually being infected (as in actually getting sick to whatever degree from it) per se.

Some of them may not really be infected, but just tested positive. The typical test seems to only test for the existence of trace virus in your nasal/sinus passageway... and it doesn't take much for that to yield a positive.

You probably have various other trace virus and bacteria (maybe all over your body) too, but nobody, except germaphobes, (usually) cares too much about those because they're not deemed serious enough.

And that's where we should be headed w/ Covid-19 as well... that is, w/ the help of vaccination and whatever other hopefully very minor inconveniences going forward, we'll eventually render it much like most other infectious illness/disease that we've learned to manage/control or protect against over the last century-plus so we can get back to normal (enough)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
These Yankee players are infected as most of them have symptoms.

It's no big deal though if they just have mild-ish symptoms and recover after a short while (though they may continue to test positive for quite a while after recovery due to the nature of the tests). That would be normal/expected w/ the vaccine solution...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's no big deal though if they just have mild-ish symptoms and recover after a short while (though they may continue to test positive for quite a while after recovery due to the nature of the tests). That would be normal/expected w/ the vaccine solution...

_Man_
I'm not arguing that point, I'm arguing your point that the Yankee players didn't have the virus and were only Covid positive. As to Rizzo, who hasn't been vaccinated, we can only wait and see if his symptoms are mild. There is speculation that Judge never got vaccinated either.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm not arguing that point, I'm arguing your point that the Yankee players didn't have the virus and were only Covid positive.

I didn't actually say that.

I was basically pointing out testing positive is not really that big a deal anymore (and doesn't necessarily mean one's meaningfully infected/sick from it)... as long as one is vaccinated.

There are all sorts of germs everywhere and on/in us. We don't usually worry about them because we are relatively immune and/or are able to manage them easily enough. As long as we can reach a similar point w/ Covid-19, that's what matters most... not whether someone tests positive for the virus.

Not like we're hearing significant number of vaccinated MLB players and staff are becoming severely ill afterall.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks