What's new

2021 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Anyone watching the Yankees exhibition games on YES? I getting a message that they are blocked on DIRECTV. I called them and they said it came for YES to block. Makes no sense.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyone watching the Yankees exhibition games on YES? I getting a message that they are blocked on DIRECTV. I called them and they said it came for YES to block. Makes no sense.
The repeats might be blocked, but I watched yesterday's game on YES with DirecTV live without any issues.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is it possible to listen to teams outside of your area on the radio for free?

I was hoping to hear the Mets today with DeGrom pitching.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The repeats might be blocked, but I watched yesterday's game on YES with DirecTV live without any issues.

Right now the Pittsburgh - Clemson BB game is blocked on YES but is shown on SUNHD which is fine. But when there is no other channel showing a game, it should not be blocked on YES. I'll check the next broadcast Phillies at Yankees tomorrow 1pm.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If I hadn't told MLB to go to hell last year already, I'd be doing it right now.

I admit I cheated when YES reunited John Sterling and Michael Kay for two broadcasts but I cared nothing of the games, and only the fact that the two of them were together again announcing after 20 years. But now....I won't make an exception for anything ever.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
If I hadn't told MLB to go to hell last year already, I'd be doing it right now.

I admit I cheated when YES reunited John Sterling and Michael Kay for two broadcasts but I cared nothing of the games, and only the fact that the two of them were together again announcing after 20 years. But now....I won't make an exception for anything ever.

I feel the same. In 2021 it’s easier to get upset rather than actually reading what a bill states.

I’m not sure how I will proceed going forward. I am leaning towards not participating or funding mlb anymore.
It’s hard to let go of something that I have enjoyed for years. I don’t agree with what is happening. It’s a sad time for many.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I feel the same. In 2021 it’s easier to get upset rather than actually reading what a bill states.

I’m not sure how I will proceed going forward. I am leaning towards not participating or funding mlb anymore.
It’s hard to let go of something that I have enjoyed for years. I don’t agree with what is happening. It’s a sad time for many.
If you don't want to watch or support MLB then that's your right to do so. However, we don't need any political commentary as your reasoning behind it because we don't want other posters to counter your comment with why they support MLB.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I lost track of which rules were coming when, so I’ll ask here-
The universal DH, the new extra innings rule, and the 7 inning game doubleheader- are they in place this year? If it’s a day/
night doubleheader, are the games still 7 innings?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I lost track of which rules were coming when, so I’ll ask here-
The universal DH, the new extra innings rule, and the 7 inning game doubleheader- are they in place this year? If it’s a day/
night doubleheader, are the games still 7 innings?
There is no universal DH this year. With doubleheaders, each game will be 7 innings long. Also, you didn't ask about this, but extra innings games will start with a base runner on 2nd base starting in the 10th inning. As an example, if the visiting team scores in the top of the 10th inning and the home team fails to do so in the bottom of that inning then the visiting team wins.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There is no universal DH this year. With doubleheaders, each game will be 7 innings long. Also, you didn't ask about this, but extra innings games will start with a base runner on 2nd base starting in the 10th inning. As an example, if the visiting team scores in the top of the 10th inning and the home team fails to do so in the bottom of that inning then the visiting team wins.
Thanks. So a day/night will be 7 innings also? Generally I don’t like this rule because it kind of hoses the fans.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
All doubleheaders are 7 innings affairs.
The extra innings rule- this is the least objectionable of all the changes/new rules in place. I still hate the 3 batter minimum with a white-hot passion.

So a person who attends one of the day/nights won’t be getting a regulation 9 innings for their money? Not a good look.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The extra innings rule- this is the least objectionable of all the changes/new rules in place. I still hate the 3 batter minimum with a white-hot passion.
I don't mind the 3 batter minimum as it should force relief pitchers to get better at their craft. I hate the man on 2nd base rule as I think they should play at least the 10th and 11th innings without it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don't mind the 3 batter minimum as it should force relief pitchers to get better at their craft. I hate the man on 2nd base rule as I think they should play at least the 10th and 11th innings without it.
You have a point about the extra innings- maybe start it in the 11th or 12th innings.

Here’s an interesting point about 7 inning games- what happens if a pitcher has a no-no or perfect game going? Will these games now have to be recognized in the record book? Will a manager take a pitcher out after 6 innings because of this if these feats aren’t considered among the other 9 inning games?

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

I've found it to be easy and liberating. The important thing is don't let these people who have ruined the game forever take away your memories. Unlike those who signify their divorce by burning their memorabilia etc. I'm taking custody of my memories and will continue to enjoy watching and listening to classic baseball games from the past, of which thankfully there are over 5000 I've accumulated spanning from 1933 to 2019 and I'll keep wearing my Yankee jacket because of what was. I'll keep reading good books on baseball history as well. Our love of baseball and what it represents is not automatically tied to following the exploits of the current game and the fans who have a good reason to do as I've done can find many ways to keep enjoying that which was.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I've found it to be easy and liberating. The important thing is don't let these people who have ruined the game forever take away your memories. Unlike those who signify their divorce by burning their memorabilia etc. I'm taking custody of my memories and will continue to enjoy watching and listening to classic baseball games from the past, of which thankfully there are over 5000 I've accumulated spanning from 1933 to 2019 and I'll keep wearing my Yankee jacket because of what was. I'll keep reading good books on baseball history as well. Our love of baseball and what it represents is not automatically tied to following the exploits of the current game and the fans who have a good reason to do as I've done can find many ways to keep enjoying that which was.
I bought the Cubs/Indians 2016 World Series distributed by Shout Factory, so I’ll have an archive from what baseball used to be, before all the rule changes being implemented today (great set- it has 3 different audio options- Cubs, Indians, and the FOX national feed).

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^
You left out one: Spanish Language Audio.

Have you guys ever watched Ken Burns' Baseball documentary? Baseball has always been changing; it's a constant. What I hear in some of these posts is. crankiness: "Get off my lawn."
IMO.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^^^
You left out one: Spanish Language Audio.

Have you guys ever watched Ken Burns' Baseball documentary? Baseball has always been changing; it's a constant. What I hear in some of these posts is. crankiness: "Get off my lawn."
IMO.

You're right it's been changing now and then... though probably not quite like this or to this extent (especially all at once)...

For instance, nobody's been complaining about the changed ball issue (not just for this year in recent past) so far... probably largely because there's more precedence (so also more acceptance/tolerance) for that kind of change...

_Man_

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Compared to other sports, baseball has nearly always had a glacial pace when it came to change. History is more important to this sport than all the others. I don't want it ruined by a sea change that the owners think would make them more bucks in the short term.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I don't think MLB was considering it, but some sports writers last year, when the WS was played in a neutral ballpark, thought MLB should adopt that idea, reasoning it would get more people from different sections of the country interested in it. I say phooey on that idea. Are people really going to watch a WS just because it's played closer to where they live?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks