What's new

2019 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Another great come from behind win for the Mets last night.

15 out of 16 wins. Best team in Majors since the ASB.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So the Phillies fire their hitting coach and bring back Charlie Manuel as their hitting coach for the remainder of the season. Looks like they're grasping at straws to what ails that team. Well, he's at least not as old as Phil Regan is with the Mets.;)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
For awhile now I tried finding some "reasonably priced" tickets (and acceptable seats) for the upcoming Dodgers/Yankees series in less than two weeks, but I gave up. One reason, I found out these two classically attired teams are together on "Players Weekend" this year, which means one team will be in black and the other white (that's what MLB decided this year) with their nickname on the back. Ugh. We get to see the Yankees here once every, like 6-7 is it, years and neither team will be in their classic uniforms this time. UGH!

Oh well, so three of us decided to go see the Blue Jays and Dodgers play next week. I've never seen them play, nor heard the Canadian anthem played, and one of us three is from Canada, so... And all three tickets are great seats and in total are less than half the price we'd have paid for ONE ticket we could get for the Dodgers/Yankees series. So more eating and drinking! Heh!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
A struggling underachieving team firing one of the coaches isn’t unusual. Can’t fire the players. Yada yada.
The unusual thing is replacing him with the guy who won them a World Series 10 years ago as manager.

This is bonkers.
I don’t know if it’s bad but I’m okay with someone new in there. This current hitting philosophy hasn’t and isn’t going to work.

A handful of Phils have gone in to different teams this year and have been very very good.
No one on this team has improved in this hitting philosophy over the 2 years and almost all of them have become worse.

This is temporary for Charlie to be in there. Similar to an interim head coach.

No chance he will be hitting coach or manager this year or next.

They needed to change something.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they fire the pitching coach soon too.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
A pretty interesting and revealing stat in the NL East right now is Run Differential (Runs Scored minus Runs allowed)
Atlanta: +62
Washington: +48
NY Mets: +12
Philadelphia: -33

And Also Record against teams above 500:

Atlanta: 37-32
Washington: 29-37
NY Mets: 30-41
Philadelphia: 35-37

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A struggling underachieving team firing one of the coaches isn’t unusual. Can’t fire the players. Yada yada.
The unusual thing is replacing him with the guy who won them a World Series 10 years ago as manager.

This is bonkers.
I don’t know if it’s bad but I’m okay with someone new in there. This current hitting philosophy hasn’t and isn’t going to work.

A handful of Phils have gone in to different teams this year and have been very very good.
No one on this team has improved in this hitting philosophy over the 2 years and almost all of them have become worse.

This is temporary for Charlie to be in there. Similar to an interim head coach.

No chance he will be hitting coach or manager this year or next.

They needed to change something.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they fire the pitching coach soon too.
And that's my point, they have other large issues besides firing the hitting coach as their pitching has been a major issue for them this season. I guess you have to start somewhere as hitting and pitching coaches are easily replaceable than anything else.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh for sure.
More then just the hitting is a problem

My guess as why they dumped the hitting coach is because the 1-8 lineup had very high expectations.
The Phils FO didn’t expect the pitching to be this bad but decent enough for the hitting to get wins.
The hitting hadn’t done that and now since someone always gets fired in these situations they thought the hitting coach was the easiest choice.

The hitters can still be revived but these pitchers are almost all guys from the minor league teams due to a ton of them being injured.

Currently only 2 bullpen pitchers are guys that they started the season with.

All the rest are gone for the season.

Pitching coach apparently got a mulligan because of that.
But I doubt he has a long leash right now.
He might not last the season either.

Either way this Phils season has been a disaster from top to bottom.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the owner talking about spending "stupid" money didn't do his team any favors as fans expected a lot this season. Another thing that hurts is your farm system needs to improve as they had too many first round picks not being as good as where they were picked in the draft.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You want to trade Injury for injury with the Phillies?
???? Yankees leads the majors in players on the injury list. The Yankees had 27 players spend time on the injury list. They still have 16 players on it.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe but they haven’t exactly been devastated by them.

I feel like they’re still doing pretty good even with the injuries they’ve had.

The Phillies just lost 2 more players today.

Ive been seeing it on other social media outlets about the Yankee injuries too.
Best record in the game right now and much of the season.
So injuries, okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.